14 replies to this topic

#1 True2ThySelf

True2ThySelf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:22 PM

I don't know anything about reading maps. Can someone teach me or point me to where I can learn? I usually bring my car GPS with me so I can find my way back to the car.If I am in the field, how do I figure out if I am in area 1, 6, 7, etc (refer to attachment)?

Attached Files

• Attached File  Map.gif   99.37KB   34 downloads

#2 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

You need latatude-longatude numbers, This map will give you elevations, as near as I can tell you are near sugarloaf near Los Angles, but I don't know the area.Someone correct me if I am wrong.Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#3 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:43 PM

True2ThySelf,You really left you're self open for some funny jokes. I am holding back thou.Go to REI, check out the compass/map classes they hold all of the time on reading maps and using a compass/GPS's.Your map should always have a (North arrow) along with using your compass (North arrow) you can use it identify valleys and high land marks. I may be lost but I know where I am, it's just getting to where I want to go is the only problem.

#4 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

I'll also suggest going to a surplus store/mountaineering store for the military manual(s) on"Map and Compass Reading". Get the paper book,not PDF. Or,print it out.Why ? Computers can fail.Compasses don't need batteries or power,don't need 1 or more gig's of memory to keep the last turn being made.GPS's are fine,if it has power, and don't fail. Should they do, you're out of money for that thing.Circuits can and will fail.It's just when. Remember "Murphy's Law"; Anything can and will fail at the least expected moment. Or something like that.I sold my GPS in 2010. I will not have another one.
The old calibers and guns got the job doneKeep reloading-We may need it

#5 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:17 PM

I believe that the USMC offers an excellent course in map reading that has a 'hands on' component in cross country navigation. ;)

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#6 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:34 PM

I know one thing for sure - I'd much prefer to be trudging around area 6!

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#7 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:56 PM

Your on the internet!
Don't be stupid

#8 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:42 PM

Here's a link to a book on using maps & compasses. The company is The Compass Store. No, I have not used the book but, it is the only one I found. The instructions you get with a good compass have basic instructions on using the instrument.Map & Compass Book

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#9 Johnny Get Ur Gun

Johnny Get Ur Gun

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Retired Master Gunnery Sergeant of Marines. Father of 6, 3 still at home. Avid hunter and fisher. Been a bird and big game hunter most my life, but have recently become interested in coyote and rabbit hunting. Looking forward to becoming a part of this online community and hopefully getting to hunt with some of you. Semper Fi!

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:25 AM

For basic orienteering knowledge, as well as a lot of other useful outdoor stuff, pick up a copy of the Boy Scout Handbook. If you need more detailed information, get a copy of the orienteering merit badge book. Why is a retired Marine endorsing the Boy Scout book instead of a military book? Because the military uses maps that are different than those available to the general public. Sure, if you can read one you can read the other, but why not learn the method you'll be using for the map you have? You don't have any map skills right now and a military map course would have you staring at your civilian map trying to figure out where grid north is. (Hint: there is no grid north on a civilian map)

#10 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

At the top of this page theres a bunch of guides by a member named Watchmaker. Very helpful in using a map/compass/gps.

#11 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:22 PM

from your profile, you are in Simi Valley CA
Hic Ego Statio

#12 True2ThySelf

True2ThySelf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:34 PM

I really like the boy scout idea. Thanks for the suggestion!

For basic orienteering knowledge, as well as a lot of other useful outdoor stuff, pick up a copy of the Boy Scout Handbook. If you need more detailed information, get a copy of the orienteering merit badge book. Why is a retired Marine endorsing the Boy Scout book instead of a military book? Because the military uses maps that are different than those available to the general public. Sure, if you can read one you can read the other, but why not learn the method you'll be using for the map you have? You don't have any map skills right now and a military map course would have you staring at your civilian map trying to figure out where grid north is. (Hint: there is no grid north on a civilian map)

Smart Alec :roflmao3[1]:

from your profile, you are in Simi Valley CA

#13 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

Buy yourself a good boy scout compass and learn how to use it. The battery has never gone dead on my compass but I can't say the same for my GPS. In 56 years of hunting and fishing I've never been lost. My truck gets lost on occasion but I always know where I am.
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

#14 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

GPS's are nice but learn how to use a compass. I have had my GPS go awry once on an encroaching lightning storm. Fortunately I knew my way back but I also had my trusty compass on me to confirm things.

#15 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

Cross section and Resection, if i remember correctly. Put map facing north as your facing north. Locate hill,creeks by site, then look at your map and try and locate those features. Draw lines from each object(location) back toward you location. At least two focal points are needed to be simi accurate, 3 or more even more accurate.
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users