#1 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, ATV's, Fishing

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:33 PM

Attached File  1.jpg   33.26KB   18 downloadsI took my newly built Daniel Defense/Midwest Ind. coyote getter out hunting a couplea months ago, and did'nt like the fact that I'm camo'ed and here's this all black gun not. After long deliberation about putting paint to my beloved, I succumbed to the nectar known as Krylon, and went for it. Here's my effort.Attached File  2.jpg   35.05KB   18 downloads

#2 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:49 AM

That looks nice. Did you put some sort of sealant over it? I've had problems with the Krylon reacting with my sunscreen. It would cause it to peel off. My brother had the same problem. After I put a sealant over it the problem stopped.

#3 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:18 AM

No. I did'nt use anything. Krylon makes a clearcoat sealant, but it's satin, so less glare is better. I saw a real thin adhesive type cheekpad you can drape over the stock. Maybe that's a quick fix. I'm not sure of the brand though, sorry.

#4 Mick17

Mick17

Varmint Hunter

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:I love shooting all types of guns and hunting. I shoot and reload for my shotgun, my .45, and my .223. I love deer hunting ,but there aren't very many deer these days. I really enjoy Coyote hunting. It's very exciting calling in a wild animal. I also try to practice with my .45's as much as I can. I am a member of the NRA and the CRPA.

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:06 PM

Good job on the painting! It really blends in with the tree as well as the rest of the woods in your area. I think you may have a job waiting for you when you retire.
"Life's tough-It's even tougher if your stupid"--John Wayne

#5 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:09 PM

Sweet, it's on my wish list for sure, when is Christmas?

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,284 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:09 PM

It is hard to see is that what you were after.nice job!

#7 stinky515

stinky515

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Shooting pistol and learning to shoot rifle, learning the ins and outs of hunting (i.e. rules, places, fuana flora, camo, rilfes and scopes, etc...), surfing, cycling, snowboarding, hiking, camping, music (listening not playing), model building, photography, video games, movies, reading and other stuff.

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:14 PM

That looks really nice! How many different coats did you have to do?
Opinions are like a@#holes, everybodys got one and they all stink...even my own.

#8 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:08 PM

Just a khaki base coat, then went over it with OD, Medium brown, and sage. I used broom, cedar (like the pictured tree), and a stencil I cut out. Was pretty easy.

#9 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:00 AM

Nothing is easy lol. I hope u don't forget where u put that thing. You will never find it!
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#10 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:05 AM

Rifle? What rifle? Nice...it looks great. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#11 SFSMedic

SFSMedic

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:43 AM

Just a khaki base coat, then went over it with OD, Medium brown, and sage. I used broom, cedar (like the pictured tree), and a stencil I cut out. Was pretty easy.

Would you mind doing a little more detail on how you did the process. I really like this for the same reasons you stated. I currently dont have the cajones to try it myself.

#12 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:23 AM

I know what you're saying. Took me alot of thought and nerve to paint it too. I always liked the "black" gun, but for hunting, it just stood out too much. I just taped off the areas I did'nt want painted, ie the scope dial, AO dial, stuffed cotton and painters tape over the magwell, and took off the grip, since I did'nt want that painted anyway. I then hung it up and went to work on the base coat of Krylon Fusion khaki. When it dried, I just did "stripes" of med. brown all over, then layed a bundle of broom bristles that I taped up, and used OD green. Next, I used a cedar branch with greenery for the sage color. I used a hairdryer {my wife did'nt like that idea} in-between coats to help with the paint setup. Only took about an hour to do it all. Check out my new Marlin .22 in the rifle camo jobs, I was bored on a snowy day off.

#13 SFSMedic

SFSMedic

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:16 AM

Thanks, next time you get bored take pictures of each step as you camo another gun :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users