• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 4NDone0331

4NDone0331

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:Varmint and Predator hunting, airguns, working out, video games and beer.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

Hey everyone, so I am looking at getting my first adult airgun and I have narrowed it down to 3 different guns.My first concern when looking for the new airgun was how quiet it would be so the guns that I have selected are on the lower end of the loudness spectrum. I am thinking of getting a .22 cal in order to keep the noise down when shooting in my back yard. I figure that the .22 cal's have a lower max velocity which will help to keep the round from breaking the sound barrier thus keeping the noise to a minimum. I was also thinking tha the .22 cal would offer more stopping power against varmints/pests (ground squirrels, rabbits and pest birds)the guns that I have narrowed it down to are as follows1.Benjamin Trail NP2.Crosman Nitro Venom Dusk3.Gamo Bone Collector Bull Whisper IGTMy thoughts on these so far are that the Benjamin has the best track record (positive reviews) out of the three and is overall a good gun once you replace the trigger and scope, however it is the heaviest out of the 3. The Crosman is more of the middle ground option of the 3, it is the cheapest of the 3 also it is a little lighter than the Benjamin but heavier than the Gamo. The Gamo is the lightest out of the 3 and states that it has an improved trigger but I havent seen any reviews for this specific gun but Gamo seems to be synonomous with high priced junk.I would like to get everyones thoughts on these rifles, and on caliber selectionShould I just get a .177 cal gun and use a heavier grain pellet in order to keep the max velocity down and keep it quiet or is .22 the better option? Also what should I expect for the Max effective range of the rifles? I was hoping to be able to take out pests out to 100m.

For those who have fought for freedom...freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
USMC Infantry 06-10 OIFx2 combat vet.

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

You probably have other requirements like how far do you expect to be shooting and what is your budget for gun, scope, accessories? With a springer you have to worry about the right scope being damaged by the gun's reverse recoil, etc. Can it be another type like pump or PCP?For squirrels I normally think of .22 minimum or even .25 with a barebones minimum fpe at target/impact of maybe 6 fpe with 10 being better but range is an issue. I guess my point is to list every requirement you can think of.

I'm an airgunholic

#3 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

Based on your noise concerns,i would get this one:http://stoegerairgun.../x20-suppressorBest choice for the money....has everything you need...scope included.

#4 4NDone0331

4NDone0331

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:Varmint and Predator hunting, airguns, working out, video games and beer.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

You probably have other requirements like how far do you expect to be shooting and what is your budget for gun, scope, accessories? With a springer you have to worry about the right scope being damaged by the gun's reverse recoil, etc. Can it be another type like pump or PCP?For squirrels I normally think of .22 minimum or even .25 with a barebones minimum fpe at target/impact of maybe 6 fpe with 10 being better but range is an issue. I guess my point is to list every requirement you can think of.

The furthest out that I plan to be shooting is ~100m. I want it to be a gas piston that way I can leave it charged for a while if I want, plus from what I've read the nitro pistons are what helps to keep the gun quiet and can help the accuracy. I was looking at PCP but it looked like it was gonna add up to be pretty expensive to get the full setup so I decided against it. I wanted to keep it under $400 total (scope + mods). I dont want a multi-pump, I would rather just pump it once and be done with it.
For those who have fought for freedom...freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

#5 Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor activity. Diving. Fishing, Hiking, Hunting and Camping.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

I just resonally purchased one of Benjamin NP XL .22 and one of Benjamin NP all weather .177. To compare both gun I like the NP XL .22 better. More stopping power. quite. It was a bit heavier but that does not bother me much. The 3-9X40 AO scope was okay right out of box. easy to adjust and sight in. I got 3/4" group out of 75' from my back yard. The NP all weather .177 can't even compare.I have not replace the trigger yet which I feel I might do it on the .177 but it is not neccessary on the XL .22. a little adjust screw can help.When I bought it from Amazon 2 weeks ago it was on sale for 229 with free shipping. It went up a bit at $249 now but still the best deal I can find out there. It shipped out from AZ so I got mine in 2 days after placed order. http://www.amazon.co...59&sr=8-1-fkmr0

#6 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

If you want to step just up a bit in the quality dept also take a look at the RWS 34 .22 cal. They also have combo deals out there but it is a more ($50). If you need even more then the RWS 350.http://www.amazon.co...36515847&sr=1-2

I'm an airgunholic

#7 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

As I start, I'm hopefully not going to sound like an air gun snob (that's not my intent), but these are my thoughts and opinions on this topic:I can tell you right now that hitting your kill zone on a squirrel or other pest at 108 yards (100 meters) will pretty much be close to impossible with all three of those air rifles that you have listed. At 100+ yards a 14.3 grain pellet would still carry enough FPE to humanely kill your quarry if your muzzle velocity was 800FPS or greater, but I doubt that you would be able to get a grouping less than 6" at 100 yards with those three air rifles. In defense of my opinion, I think that they all have there place in an airgun collection, but a more realistic distance for those three rifles would be 50 to 60 yards maximum or less.I owned a Benjamin Trail NP XL1100 and did the GRT-III trigger mod on it, which made it shoot extremely well, however, since the nitro-piston and spring-piston air rifles are so "hold sensitive" and have a fair amount of "double recoil", you will have a hard time hitting a 1" or less kill zone with any of those air guns unless you pratice and shoot alot. I became a pretty good shot with my NPXL1100 and the best shots I got at long distances were between 55 and 60 yards out. Anything further than that and it was a coin toss as to whether or not I would hit my intended spot. That being said, it wasn't until later that I learned how important using the right pellet for the air rifle was. Also, as far as velocity goes, the specs said up to 1100FPS. That's using hyper-velocity ammo which is worthless for any accuracy. With Crosman Premier Hollow Points (14.3 grain) I would get anywhere from 900 to 930 FPS. That's around 200FPS less than the specs for that gun were specified!I can tell you that the FPS that all three of those air rifles say they will accomplish is pure rubbish. They are hyped velocities using very light ammo that will create a shotgun pattern 12" at 30 yards. With Crosman Premier Hollow Points as a baseline pellet you'll be lucky to get 700 to 750 FPS with the Trail NP. The Nitro Venom Dusk is basically the same gun action and barrel with a different stock and since Crosman owns Benjamin it is basically a re-packaged Trail NP. I know the specs say 950FPS, but they use 10 or 11 grain pellets for those tests (like the RWS Hobby pellets) which are not what you are going to be wanting to hunt with. You'll want at least a 14 to 16 grain pellet if you want accuracy and stability through the flight path of the pellet out of the gun. Also, both of those guns will have the same crummy trigger that will need replacing if you want to know when the gun is going to fire.The Gamo Bone Collector Bull Whisper IGT will probably perform close to the other two on your list, perhaps 10 to 15 FPS faster. But Gamo air guns tend to feel a bit inexpensive and are made with a lot of plastic parts. The triggers are just as awful too. I'm not a fan of the Gamo's as they tend to be more Hype than Performance.If you want an accurate gun that has some power, Brant mentioned the RWS 34 which is a great air gun that shoots good and has a great trigger. It is more expensive and not as quiet as the ones you mentioned, but I can tell you from experience... you are going to get what you pay for. The Stoger X20 is a good shooter too, but the surpressor is not that quiet in reality because of the velocity that it shoots at and the trigger has a really long and inconsistant second stage. However, if you use heavier pellets it well help to quiet the gun.If you purchase an inexpensive airgun, you'll most likely get mediocre results unless you pour time and money into improving it and by that time you could have saved yourself a good amount of time and money by just starting with a better air gun. I speak from personal experience.For example: I started with a .22 Gamo Whisper in April of 2011 because a skunk was being an immense bother around our neighborhood. The report of the air rifle wasn't that loud, but the twang of the spring was way louder than the shot itself, which made it still a semi-loud air rifle and it never shot anywhere near 900FPS like the specs said. With CPHP's it would shoot around 650 to 700 FPS at best.About three weeks to a month later I bought a Benjamin Trail NP XL1100 which I liked alot and it was much quieter, but I wasn't crazy about the "double recoil" from the Nitro-Piston power plant inside. I did get used to it and learned the proper hold and eventually learned which pellets to use in it for best accuracy, but there was still room for better accuracy.Then about 3 months later I bought a .22 Marauder PCP Rifle, which is extremely quiet, has no recoil and gives me repeatable shots and great accuracy out to 90 yards easily. Another month or two later I purchased a used .25 M-Rod. I then traded the NPXL1100 for a .22 Benjamin Discovery and sold the .22 Gamo Whisper. I had purchased an additional used .25 M-Rod which I eventually traded for a .22 Marauder PCP Pistol (which is fantastic for a lower velocity carbine). Then I happened upon a used .25 EunJin Sumatra 2500 Carbine that I couldn't pass up. I also have a .177 Ruger Air Hawk that doesn't get touched too much compared to all the others. I also got a Crosman 1008 RepeatAir Co2 Pistol for plinking, an older Crosman 1377 Phase II that I'm modifying into a .22 cal BackPacker type airgun. I also purchased a Crosman 1322 that I'm modifying for my daughter to hunt small game with and I just ordered a Crosman 2240 Co2 Pistol that I'll be modifying for the same purpose. So you can see that as a hobby it can become addictive, but it is extremely fun and something the whole family can get into.Let me say this... If I knew what I know now about shooting springers and Nitro-Piston air rifles, I would have skipped staight to the PCP air guns. Like I mentioned, don't get me wrong, I like springer and nitro-piston airguns and still own a couple. They have their place, niche or purpose and you are correct when you said that PCP's are more expensive to get into. In my opinion though, there's nothing like hitting that dime sized shot group over and over again with ease which gives me the confidence to take the tough, long shots on small game animals when I need to be on target with my PCP air rifles.For power and quiet report, it's hard to beat the price point of the Benjamin Marauder .22 caliber air rifle. But I may be slightly biased in that direction though. ;)Anyway, I may have trailed off topic just a little :cheers:... If you are set on one of the three air guns you have listed in your initial post, I would go with the Trail NP. Just keep in mind that it is not going to shoot 950FPS, you'll have to shoot about 500 to 1000 pellets through it before you start to see some accuracy, you'll want to replace the trigger almost right away and you will most likely not be able to be accurate out to 100 meters (about 50 yards at best). Whatever you pick, I'm sure there will be other air guns eventually in your future... :fireworks3:
  • Hotchkiss likes this

#8 4NDone0331

4NDone0331

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

Thank you everyone for your input and recommendations. Thank you Air Rifle Hunter for the lenghty and detailed response. You pretty much answered all my questions and then some :D. I would like to get a PCP but when I calculated it up it seemed like it would cost me between $800-1000 to get everything set up (rifle, scope, air tanks, tank adapters,etc..). Does that sound about right?I dont want to waste my money on a product that will not perform to my expectations ie pump and break barrel airguns. You guys have pretty much convinced me to hold off on getting a cheap airgun, instead I think I will be saving for a PCP. It will probably be a several months though before I am able to purchase it, Maybe I'll wait for xmas and ask the wife to get it for me. I mean the PCP rifles are only a couple hundred dollars more, its just all the extras add up. To be honest I never thought that I would spend that much on an airgun. Oh well I would rather do it right the first time and save some money in the long run, Im just gonna have to hold off on buying some of those mods that I wanted for my car.Edit: I was thinking of getting the Benjamin Marauder

#9 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:04 AM

I would like to get a PCP but when I calculated it up it seemed like it would cost me between $800-1000 to get everything set up (rifle, scope, air tanks, tank adapters,etc..). Does that sound about right?

You are definitely close with your pricing for the PCP Air Rifle investment. When I purchased my .22 Benjamin Marauder I purchased a package at Pyramyd Air. In that package deal was the .22 Benjamin Marauder, Benjamin High Pressure Hand Pump, Leapers 4-16x50AO IR MD Scope, UTG High Scope Rings and an extra Rotary Clip. With that package set up I think I was just under or around $700. Having a 4500PSI Carbon Fiber Air Tank is a plus and makes filling easier, but if you don't want to add $450 to $650 more to the price tag of your set up you can get by with the Benji Hand Pump. I use the Benji Hand Pump for filling all (5) of my PCP air rifles and while it takes a little bit of effort, it really isn't all that hard to pump them up, just a little time consuming some times (but not too bad).If you do get the .22 Benjamin Marauder, I would definitely recommend using the 18.1 grain JSB Exact Jumbo Heavy pellets. They seem to work the best for the .22 Marauders. I have left my .22 M-Rod on factory settings except for turning the velocity metering screw about 2 turns CCW (Counter Clockwise) to up the velocity and starting with a 2900PSI fill using the JSB's my starting velocity it right around 855FPS and the peak is at 885FPS and by my 30th shot I'm back down to 855FPS. My average velocity across that 30 shot string is 870FPS which gives me close to 30FPE at the muzzle.I'll let you know though, that some guys have had accuracy issues with the .22 Marauder. That being said, what I have found is that many of these people don't take the time to learn the gun first. Many of the just want to shoot at super fast velocities and they start mucking around with the settings/adjustments, they don't use the right pellet, they don't clean their barrel properly before using it the first time and so on. It is pretty important to keep the pellet at around 900FPS or less for best accuracy in the .22 M-Rods in my experience. Shooting with the velocities I post above I have head shot ground squirrels easily at 82 yards, but I've also missed a few too (usually because I forgot to check the zero on the scope before heading out for a day of hunting :( ).If you really want to shoot out to 100 yards or a bit more, I would definitely recommend getting the .25 M-Rod. It is slightly louder, but you can quiet it some by doing the vinyl depinger and ordering a shroud extension from Talon Tunes. I have the shroud extension on my .25 and it makes it as quiet as my stock .22 M-Rod. Only the impact is about twice as loud as the .22 pellet impact. Also, you'll only get around (16) usable shots with the .25 compared to (30) with the .22 M-Rod, but the .25 pellet will buck the wind better and retain better stability through it's trajectory than the .22 pellet will. I just thought I would mention those things because I feel it is better to be informed before investing in a set up of this cost than to find out later that getting one or the other would have been a better choice. I like them both and shoot them about equally as often. The .25 will hit harder (around 44 to 46FPE with the JSB Exact King 25.4 grain pellet) and you'll be able to use a wider variety of pellets accurately in the .25 than in the .22 (the .22 really only shoots the 18.1 JSB's really good).Well, there's some more information. I think you are definitely making the right choice in waiting and going with a PCP. Believe me, when you do get one and you use someone else's springer or nitro-piston air gun and then use your PCP or let them try it, you will be glad that you waited and started with the PCP air rifle instead (IMHO).I look forward to your posts in the future here on the CPC forum and reading about your experiences with whatever you end up purchasing. :D**Here's a picture of my .22 Marauder. I modified the factory stock and coated it with black truck bed liner.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#10 4NDone0331

4NDone0331

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:21 AM

Thanks again Air Rifle Hunter, I appreciate all the extra info that you have given me. I really like the look of your custom Marauder. DId you spray the liner coat yourself?

#11 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

Here is my .25 Marauder with a Boyd's stock on it (old pict). It loves JSB Exact Kings as ARH says and does pretty good with Kodiaks and Predators as well.Posted Image

I'm an airgunholic

#12 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

Thanks again Air Rifle Hunter, I appreciate all the extra info that you have given me. I really like the look of your custom Marauder. DId you spray the liner coat yourself?

Yes, I did spray the coating myself. You can get it at most hardware stores. I think it was the Rustoleum brand Black Truck Bedliner spray in the can. You need to scuff your stock with steel wool or a 180 grit sandpaper to rough up the surface so that the bedliner will bond with the surface of the stock. As long as you spray it nice and light and do 3 to 4 light and even coats you will get a good, even finish with it when you are done. The finish is very durable too. :D I also have a stock that is the same as the one that Brant posted. Mine is a charcoal grey color though (called "Peppered) and I have modified it slightly as well to fit my personal taste and handling, and I'm in the process of inletting it for my .25 Marauder. I'll post photos of that one once I get it completed. I did also inlet a Boyd's Ross Thumbhole Sporter stock for my .22 Benjamin Discovery and I like that stock way better than the factory Discovery stock. I'll post a photo of it below:Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 4NDone0331

4NDone0331

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

what scopes are you guys using? Also what about the pumps that you can buy for the Benjamin airguns? I've read some people saying that they dont last long.

#14 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:00 PM

Hawke Sidewinder Tactical 6.5-20x42 on my 4 PCP rifles and a Hawke Panorama on my Marauder pistol. They are all etched glass 1/2 mil dot reticles that are beautiful. Hawke provides excellent free software that works well with their scopes. Chairgun Pro and Hawke BRC.

I'm an airgunholic

#15 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

I own Leapers/UTG scopes. I should get a Hawke scope, because they are so excellent for the money, but I already have Leapers scopes on all my guns and they work fine, so I'll just use them until one breaks. I have a Leapers 4-16x50AO on my .22 Marauder Rifle, a Leapers 6-24x50AO on my .25 Marauder, a Leapers 4-16x40AO on my .22 Marauder Pistol Carbine and a CenterPoint Optics 3-9x40AO on my .22 Discovery. I've found that for hunting the 4-12 or 4-16 is plenty of magnification. The 6-24 is more for field target shooting than hunting (IMHO). But like Brant mentioned, the Hawke Sidewinder Tactical is an awesome scope and having the side wheel focus is more convenient than the from bell focus. No matter what mil-dot scope you get, definitely download the Chairgun Pro app for your phone and the BRC program for your computer. I always use the app and the program with my air guns to know distances. You'll also want a Chrony if you don't have one so that you'll know how fast the pellet is traveling and you can input that into the app or program and print out range charts or a reticle with ranges on it that fits inside your flip up lens cover. For the air pumps, the Hill MK3 is the bomb! :( As far as high pressure hand pumps go that is... I own a Benjamin pump and actually just got through changing out the single O-Ring that continually goes bad in these pumps for the 3rd, or possibly 4th time. Once you've done it, it doesn't take long to fix (about 15 minutes or less) and you can order bags of 50 to 100 of the O-Ring from places for around $6 or $7 plus shipping so that you have a boat load of replacement O-Rings if the pump starts acting up. If you make sure when you have it apart to lube the inner parts with silicone grease and silicone oil, it will help the O-ring to last longer between failures. The Hill MK3 is more expensive than the Benjamin pump, especially if you get the pump in a package deal, but it is made a bit better. I actually just called up Joe Brancatto at AirTanksForSale dot com this afternoon and ordered a 17 CuFt Carbon Fiber Guppy tank so that I could go to a local paint ball shop and have it filled for long hunting days/trips with the airgun, or for when I camp and go shooting or hunting. It will fit right in my back pack easily and give me plenty of fills while hunting. Now I just need to save up for a ShoeBox Compressor and I'll be set, that is until something else catches my eye. :yahoo: Ugghh... I definitely have Airgunitis and need to go to a 12 step help program. :D Anyway, if you go with a Hawke you can't go wrong. If you want something just to get by for a while as you save for the Hawke, you can get a Leapers for around $70 to $100 or more, depending on the model you choose.

#16 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:16 PM

The Shoebox is fabulous for the price and really makes your PCP fun independent. I recently picked up the "Shoebox" hose assembly from Joe B so I can fill my HPA tanks directly for my Drozd Blackbird machine gun.

I'm an airgunholic

#17 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:31 PM

I wish I could get one now, but at this point in time that would be going overboard for me. I definitely need to slow down on my purchases for a while and I'll be quietly coveting one for the next 6 months to a year. :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users