• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 mythos

mythos

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing, making Bass jigs, camping and being outdoors, photography, and now just getting into hunting. Also, I love playing PC games...role playing and first person shooters.

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:52 PM

I'm planning on getting my first hunting rifle. I would like to get into hunting a couple hogs this year, but don't know what caliber would be ideal. Looking for something with stopping power. Rifles I'm eyeing right now is a Remington 700 sps or cdl.

#2 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:47 PM

Id consider a 243

#3 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:26 PM

Savage 16 FCSS stainless Weather Warrior with Accustock in .308 Winchester.http://www.savagearm...ms/model/16FCSS

#4 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:10 AM

Mythos, Don't be surprised if you get a lot of different passionate opinions on this topic.....For the last 20 years I've hunted all my pigs and deer hear in CA with a rifle in .308win of one type or another. My original reason for going with .308win was that I already had a couple of military type rifles that shot that round and I was getting into reloading and wanted to to limit the amount of different components I was going to have to deal with. As it has turned out it has been a good call. If loaded correctly the .308win is by nature one of the most inheritantly accurate rounds out there. The military has recognized this and has used it as it's standard sniping round for over 40 years now. In addition, because it is a military round (7.62x51mm NATO) there is a lot of used brass out there to be had. While most store bought .308win ammo will be loaded wih bullets in the 147- 168gr. range, you can relaod it with anything from 110gr. to 200gr bullets. Personally I have hunted with a 180 gr. bullet in my .308 ammo for the last 15 years and have had great results. Recently though I have bought components to make the switch to 168 gr. bullets for my hunting. Part of this is because of the Damn leadless ammo laws hear in CA forces us to buy leadless ammo which isn't cheap. The other part is that I already reload a 168 gr. Sierra Matchking bullet in my .308 ammo for my target shooting and wanted to find a leadless bullet that simulates the trajectory of this round as much as possible. My thinking here is that I can sight in, pratice, and shoot the ammo with the Sierra Matchkings at the range with my hunting rifles, and at the end of my shooting session I put few rounds of leadless ammo through the gun to see the difference of where the rounds are grouping and make a slight adjustment if any to my scope. This way I'm not burning through boxes of leadless ammo ($$$) and I can get many more shots in with my rifle which should equate to me making better shots in the future. I saw this formula years ago and it makes a lot of sense; low cost = more shooting which = better shot placement = a more effective kill. The most important aspect of the .308win that I like is that I have never had an animal take more than two or three steps after being hit with a .308win. For your information I have shot and taken game with the following rifles in .308win. Springfield Armory M1A, Remington 700 PPS, and a Winchester Model 70. Recently I bought another Remington 700 in more of a hunting configuration but haven't had a chance to sight it in yet. Another benifit of going with the .308win round is that just about every gun manufacturer makes a rifle in that caliber so you will have a variety of guns to choose from. I hope this helps, :1087: Mc

#5 mythos

mythos

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing, making Bass jigs, camping and being outdoors, photography, and now just getting into hunting. Also, I love playing PC games...role playing and first person shooters.

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:59 AM

Thanks guys for the replies. I was eyeing the .308 cal. too, just didn't know if it would have the stopping power to take a big boar down. Though, I know it's also in part of shot placement.Also, co-worker of mine told me to get 7mm rem mag, but the ammo is pricey. And he did not factor in the cost of non-lead ammo for the Condor Zone.That Savage rifle does look beautiful, I'm going to have to start looking at Savage too.

#6 Leonten

Leonten

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:08 AM

The 308 is a good round for pigs/deer/bear. However if you're going to be a 1 gun hunter I'd suggest a 30/06. In all bullet weights it is a little bit faster. Ammo is just as plentiful as the 308 and my 30/06 is a tack driver. I have a 7mm Mag, a 308 & a 30/06. Another consideration is gun weight. My 7mm is a bit on the heavy side, with the longer barrel. You'll usually find the 308 & '06 rifles are slightly lighter. And since the 308 is a short action, its made in some ultra light rifles too. Recoil seems to be an issue with some folks. The 308 will kick the least & the 7mm the most. But, in the field, you wont even feel the recoil. At the range, you'll feel it, it's a weird phenomenon. I got my wife a Winchester featherweight in 308, she complained about the recoil at the range. After 15-20 rounds she was done, with a tender shoulder. But, after she shot at her first deer (twice), I asked her if she felt the recoil or heard the muzzle blast. She got a funny look on her face and said no, again it's a weird phenomenon.There are several other good pig/deer calibers that haven't been mentioned, but I'd start still start with the 30/06. Let us know what you finally get.

#7 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:26 AM

Since I'm a huge fan of levers, I'd look for a Henry lever in 357 mag or 44 mag. liht. easy ot carry, fast shooting and accurate. And did I menion hey are a lot of fun o shoot.

#8 Recon

Recon

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:53 PM

One of my buddies has a 7mm Mag. I have a .308 Winchester. He always wants to shoot my rifle. I never want to shoot his. :smiley_kewlpics: I like my shoulder where it is. I have been thinking of a Henry.. because it's just a monster round and as Braz says, light and easy to carry.

#9 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:29 PM

.30-06

#10 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:27 PM

They're not armor plated. There's not a hog alive that you can't kill with a 308. As far as stopping power goes, the only way to guaranty 100% stops is to disrupt the central nervous system. Put any bullet in the brain or the spinal column and the animal will stop, it really doesn't matter what the diameter of the bullet is as long as it reaches the shut off switch.Most of my hogs have been taken with a 308 shooting 165 grain bullets but I'll use anything from a 243 up to a 375 H&H magnum.

#11 PigHostile1

PigHostile1

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:15 PM

If you want stopping power start looking into the ultra mag calibers

#12 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:27 PM

For stopping power I have 647gr Barnes X-Bullets(hunting) for my 50BMG. Now I just need a shot at a hog.

#13 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:30 PM

You can take down a pig with a 22 if you can place the shot. Although some would say it is unethical to do so it can be done. Leave the fear of how big a caliber alone. They will all do the trick. What can you afford to shoot, handle recoil-wise and place consistent shots in the best groups. Tailor the gun to your wants/needs and then pick a rifle in the caliber you fancy.

#14 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:31 PM

Keep it Simple30-06 is America's cartridge and pretty hard to beat. Huge selection of ammo and bullet types/weights. Though not much need to go heavier than 150gr bullets but the options are there.Pretty much any other cartridge based on the 06 case is good too. .338-06, .280Rem, .270Win, 25-06, etc.The .308Win is good too. As well as other cartridges based on the .308 case. 7mm-08, .260Rem, .338Fed.I dont see any need to go to a Magnum cartridge, but there are tons of options there too.

#15 ROCRESQ

ROCRESQ

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

My current pig gun is also my deer gun. Since the lead ban I switched to the 6.8 SPC since 30/06 loads were @ $40 a box where as 6.8 were $23. Very happy with the 6.8 on deer but have not had a chance to down a hog yet.

#16 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:52 PM

I have a buddy that has an AR15 in 6.8spc. I am thinking about buying it from him but have no experience with the cartridge. Looking at it mainly for a coyote gun, but I like the option to use it for deer and pig too

#17 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:54 PM

I have used a .308 very successfully (and only 150gr), and many friends and relatives that have taken everything up to and including elk and moose with one. It will take anything in North America if you know how to shoot and do your part, use the right bullet and right placement. Without those, won't much matter what you use. 30/06 is a great rifle as well, but really only excels over the 308 if you want to use heavy (200gr or better) bullets. If you are going long action, you could also consider a .270WIN. Basically a necked-down 30-06, so you can get some great BCs and velocity out of it. .308/30-06/.270WIN have some of the cheapest new manufacture hunting ammo you can find, and you can pretty much find it anywhere, anytime. &mm is also nice, but again, unless you are using really heavy bullets, the .270WIN does very close to it (~100fps) with cheaper ammo, and a lot less felt recoil.

#18 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:56 PM

Since I'm a huge fan of levers, I'd look for a Henry lever in 357 mag or 44 mag. liht. easy ot carry, fast shooting and accurate. And did I menion hey are a lot of fun o shoot.

Get a Browning lever in .308!

#19 jeager

jeager

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:02 PM

Savage Model 99.308; 250/3000; .300 Savage; or .358 Winchester for the Holy Grail !!!

#20 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:40 AM

I always liked the 250-3000

#21 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,914 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:30 AM

I Have killed several pigs with a remington 742 automatic 30-06. The 30-06 is a very common round, and is good for almost any big game in the states. The 7mm mag is also a good round, but a little pricey$$$, and will do a lot more damage So, for deer, pigs, antilope, deer, I would use the 30-06. good all around caliber.Tom

#22 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

The most comon hog caliber here is still 30 30. 270, 308, and 30 06 make up the next 3. any of those will get the job done! DR

#23 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:47 AM

Just watch the .250 savage in 99s, most older ones use a 1:14 twist, and have a real hard time stabilizing 100gr and heavier bullets. SOme of teh manufacturers flat out say in their manuals that it won't stabilize any of their bullets. (I have one - love it with 87 gr!)

#24 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:26 PM

........ or .358 Winchester for the Holy Grail !!!

Yep! A Remington pump in .35 Whelen would be a good hog thumper too.

#25 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

450 bushmaster?

#26 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

Savage Model 99.308; 250/3000; .300 Savage; or .358 Winchester for the Holy Grail !!!

Ah, the 358 Win. Just had my build completed and am ready for load development. This will be a dedicated pig/black bear thumper. Can't wait to take it out.Rem. 700 action, blueprinted/squared23" Schneider stainless barrel, chamber cut, barrel crowned/installed on action by Hill Country Rifles.HS Precision synthetic stock.

#27 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

Sounds like an interesting build Frank.. " Tappin foot" I dont see a range reprort yet? lol Keep us posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users