• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:46 PM

What types of chokes and loads do you use? will the heaviest goose loads work or is it buckshot only ? I tried paterning buckshot and was not happy with the results. I tried full, and mod chokes and couldnt get concistant paterns. Im trying to patern at 30yds. any ideas? thanks DR

#2 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:04 PM

What are you trying to shoot? Coyote, ducks, geese, deer? I haven't patterned my shotgun honestly, but your loads will vary on the quarry your pursuing. I use #7.5 and #6 for quail and pheasant and slugs for Deer with a modified choke. Good luck patterning. I'm sure people with more experience will chime in soon.

#3 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:28 PM

What types of chokes and loads do you use?

It absolutely depends on what you are hunting. This is a very vague and loaded question right there.The best way to learn the most is by sharing as much info as possible. What do you want to hunt? What size shot are you using for what you are hunting (as we do not all use the same shot for the same game)? What length barrel you using? Is it a 30" goose gun or a an 18" coach gun with choke tubes? Every one of these questions can change the answer. Fill in the blanks and I'm sure we'd be happy to help :signs1180lq:

#4 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:30 PM

Im not shure what happened to the first part of my post but... Im thinking of trying a shotgun for coyote. all three of my shotguns are field guns with 28 or 30" barrels. two have replacable chokes. I tried Rem express 00buck. its a 12 pellit load. the gun Im trying is an 870 with a 28" barrel. at 30 yds I was shooting at a 36" white paper with a 12" circle in the center. the problem is Im not seeing a center to the patern. the shot was scattered differantly with each shot. this gun has patterned well with #2 and BB shot in the past. but not knowing what to expect from buckshot Im kind of at a loss. I did try both a mod and full chokes with simular results. before taking a shotgun out for coyotes Id like to know it is deadly out to 50 yds. otherwise its not much use where I hunt. having not used a shotgun for coyotes before, are they a buckshot only game or do some use smaller shot? DR

#5 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:45 PM

Wish I could help on that one, but I'm way out of my league when it comes to shotguns and anything bigger than birds. Sorry. From what I've seen recently, dabob would be the man to ask. Looks like he's been a one man coyote killing show with a shotgun. You may want to try getting his attention. Good luck, kind of curious to hear the answer to this myself.

#6 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:55 PM

I have to use lead free shot on coyotes. The heavier and harder than lead Tungsten Iron shot like Hevi-Shot and Remington Wingmaster HD shot #2's, BB's and T shot work good on coyotes. I don't use any steel shot on coyotesThe Tungsten Iron shot patterns real tight so a Modified or a Imp/Mod choke may be all you need for a pretty tight pattern. Bass Pro Shops has the Remington Ultimate Home Defense 2-3/4" 1-1/4 oz BB HD load for $9.98 per box of 10 shells. The Rem 3" HD waterfowl BB loads are around $35.00 per box of 10 shells.The 2-3/4" 1-1/4 oz HD BB load has 59 pellets per shell. They don't pattern quite as good as the 3" BB load that has 72 pellets per shell, but they are $2.50 per shell cheaper. I would much rather use the 1-1/4 oz HD BB load with 59 pellets in it than a 00 Buck load with 12 pellets in it for coyotes.Hevi-Shot Waterfowl Goose loads in size B shot work great also and some times you can find them for $1.00 less per shell than the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote loads.There is nothing wrong with using shotguns with 28" or 30" barrels for coyotes, that is pretty much all I have ever used on coyotes and they have done a good job for me.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#7 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:40 PM

^^^ yeah, what he saidForget about the 00 buck. If you are going to use buckshot, use #4 Buck. Otherwise its Dead Coyote loads or Goose LoadsAs far as chokes go, try patterning again with different loads this time.
Hic Ego Statio

#8 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:53 AM

We've done very little testing for coyotes, as we very seldom use shotguns for them. Anyway, our limited results were:We patterened loads at 25, 50 & 75 yards. Only 2 different types of shells were tested in the same Hevi-Shot, dead coyote choke tube. 1st shell was Hevi-Shot's 3 1/2" dead coyote load, and the other shell was with Remington's 3", #4 buckshot load.We were surprised at the patterns out of my friend's 28" Remington 870 with the above choke tube & loads. The 3 1/2" Hevi Shot patterned terrible out of his gun, where the Remington shell patterned very well at all distances. Now, my friend had NOT patterned these BEFORE one particular hunt we went on. Never heard of that before, right? :roflmao3[1]: And of course, he shot a coyote with the Hevi Shot shell, putting 2 of the shells into a coyote at 50 yards. While the dog was down, he was jumping up and down as if on a pogo stick and I had to finish it off with a rifle.I have NO doubt had my friend been using the Remington shell, we would not have needed the rifle to finish the coyote off. With the horrible pattern from the Hevi Shot, the pellets obviously missed any vitals. That's my (limited) story, and I'm sticking with it. Good Luck :smiley-outta-here: Frank

#9 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:58 PM

glad to hear that smaller shot will work! because buckshot didnt. Ill give the Hevi Shot goose loads a try. I see theres a $10.49 per box rebate right now. that would make them only $1 each. I live in the lead free zone but the northern end of it is only about 15 miles from here so I hunt there when I can. the kid next door wants to try hunting also. so if it works out I may let him try the shotgun. DR

#10 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:29 AM

For lead loads on coyotes check out Midway USA for Federal 3" 1-7/8 oz copper coated lead BB's.http://www.midwayusa.....ng-Shok 3" BBIt looks like they are out of stock right now.There are 98 pellets in each shell on these 1-7/8 oz lead BB loads so you will have a much better chance of getting a decent pattern.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#11 yoteblaster

yoteblaster

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Huntin' yotes, Huntin', fishin', Atv'n, Campin', shootin'Military history

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:51 PM

XX choke with 4buck
SEMPER FI - It means... Always Faithful! Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap - life is expensive.

#12 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:27 PM

+1. 3" Remington #4 buck through a Remington Super Full turkey choke patterns very well in my 870.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#13 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:21 PM

I picked up a 5 pack of#4buck and two boxes of Hevi Shot goose loads. If its not raining this weekend Ill give it another try. thanks all! DR

#14 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:04 PM

+1. 3" Remington #4 buck through a Remington Super Full turkey choke patterns very well in my 870.

Are you using plain lead or plated lead for that?

#15 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:30 PM

Remingtons buffered plain lead loading.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#16 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:22 PM

I picked up a 5 pack of#4buck and two boxes of Hevi Shot goose loads. If its not raining this weekend Ill give it another try. thanks all! DR

why not hunt in the rain?
Hic Ego Statio

#17 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:48 PM

call me what you want but if its raining , me and my guns will be inside! that said It wasnt raining . The #4buck was much better it made a pattern. At 30 yds it was right at 50% after playing around I only had one left to try at 50 yds. it put 12 pellets in the 12" bull. definately worth trying again.The hevi shot patterned great. It seemed to like a mod choke better tho. The place Im cutting wood is really choked with brush. I think its going to be a shotgun only operation. Thanks All! DR

#18 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:48 PM

It seemed to like a mod choke better tho.

Yep, exactly... A shell that patterns poorly, can often times pattern MUCH better with a different choke tube, & why it takes some experimenting. Even then, it still may, or may not, pattern as well as another type shell & choke. Much better, but not necessarily the best in other words. Fun stufff though!Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users