9 replies to this topic

#1 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:07 PM

Recently got a 30-06 and ammo as we all know isn't cheep, a laser bore sighter would seem to be a good idea and certainly save the ammo for the field. Anybody using one, any brand better then the other?Tony

#2 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:40 AM

I have found them to be a total waste of time and money. I can usually get a scope dialed in within 4-6 shots without the use of a bore sighter.

#3 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, fishing, motorcycles, reloading.

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:55 AM

.22 guy is right. They're not worth the money IMO. If you have a way to put the rifle on a bench with the bolt out, bore sighting is the fastest and easiest. Just get the image in the scope to match what you see in the barrel by adjusting the windage and elevation. I can usually get within 6-8 inches this way.

#4 packhorse9

packhorse9

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:pigs, turkey,varmints, 4 wheeling, motorcycles, classic cars. target shooting,

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:07 AM

Recently got a 30-06 and ammo as we all know isn't cheep, a laser bore sighter would seem to be a good idea and certainly save the ammo for the field. Anybody using one, any brand better then the other?Tony

most ranges will bore sight for you unless you do a lot of scope mounting its a waste. Dave

#5 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:39 AM

I should have listened, went ahead got abore sighter on Ebay, was only 20 bucks , so no big loss, but you were all right. Bore sighter helped very little. Put a few extra bucks in a gun rest and that did the trick, sighted in the 30:06 in a few rounds, the rest I shot off were just for fun. Tony

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:21 AM

Live and learn right? Hey it could have been more money and then you'd really be mad at yourself. The only tool I've found to be really helpful is my Leupold Zero Point Magnetic Illuminated Boresighter. I don't use it to initially boresite my rifles but rather to check scope alignment from time to time. Once you get your rifle sighted you use it to make a range card showing where on the grid the scope is sighted. Then if the gun should get bumped around I can quickly look at my range card and be sure the scope is still showing the same thing as the card. If it is different I can quickly reset the scope and be extremely close if not exactly shooting the same as before. It's great to have on hunting trips because things happen and I don't want to have to fire off several rounds looking to get my scope back to where it was.

#7 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:35 AM

ditto to ShooterJohn. worth the investment.

#8 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:27 PM

If you have a little extra cash, the most used gaget I have is a laser range finder. the quality has gone way up and the prices are starting to fall. Im pretty good at guessing distances in farmland by counting tree rows, fence posts or irrigation valves but on open ground I suck. One of my sons has loaned me his, and I keep loaning him stuff so he wont take it back. but the price has come down to the point that Im going to buy one of my own. there are several nice ones out there now for under $300. DR

#9 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:57 PM

Ditto on the laser rangefinder.Bought mine several years back.No serious use....yet.One of these days,I'll get some real use with it.I consider it much more useful than the laser bore sighter.The bore sighter,garbage.Sighted in my 30-06 at the range.Bolt out,on a rest.Got in the general area on 4X.Went to 9X.Bolt in. Fired a few.All covered with a quarter.Very simple.It works.

#10 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:32 AM

Live and learn right? Hey it could have been more money and then you'd really be mad at yourself. The only tool I've found to be really helpful is my Leupold Zero Point Magnetic Illuminated Boresighter. I don't use it to initially boresite my rifles but rather to check scope alignment from time to time. Once you get your rifle sighted you use it to make a range card showing where on the grid the scope is sighted. Then if the gun should get bumped around I can quickly look at my range card and be sure the scope is still showing the same thing as the card. If it is different I can quickly reset the scope and be extremely close if not exactly shooting the same as before. It's great to have on hunting trips because things happen and I don't want to have to fire off several rounds looking to get my scope back to where it was.

+1i like this as well with the added feature to check in the field as you described

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users