12 replies to this topic

#1 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:50 PM

I have two euro skulls getting cleaned up. The colony is small right now. Can't remeber how many beetles and larva Tim sent me. But I should have a decent colony in a few months. One skull is the buck shot this season here on base. The other one is the Buck I shot in Texas this season. I hope to start doing some coyote skull and still trying to get a bobcat. If I could shoot them here on base it would be a done deal.Attached File  1.jpg   21.25KB   10 downloads

#2 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:41 PM

Looks pretty cool, let us know how much work is involved in keeping the colony. :signlol2iu: Ron

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:59 PM

That's a nice setup. Good luck with them. I wish I could keep some but it gets too hot here.

#4 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:14 PM

Scott, that's a great set up. I just whitened up my antelope, doe, several coyotes, bobcat and a porcupine skull. Glad to see you're putting those beetles to work.

#5 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:30 PM

I've got a small colony of around 300 to 400 right now. Keeping them warm is the easy part, it's keeping them cool when they're hot that is gonna suck. Over 85 and they can FLY!!!I'm working on beefing my colony up with some brain matter and high quality meats for the first few months. They are all molting and beetling up right now, and are VERY active. Probably because it's been warmer lately. I've done a couple small skulls (squirrel) and currently I'm trying to see how long it takes them to do a fairly large slab of pork.Hopefully by summer I should have something large enough to do multiple medium sized skulls as well as have a system in place to keep them cool enough. They'll (or I'll) get kicked out of the house if they start flying.

#6 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:31 AM

My colony is currently at the house. My wife is already complaining about the smell. So I will have to move them to work. I have a screen top on mine to keep them from flying away. Now that I have seen the larva up close. I remeber them crawling under my iso mat in Kuwaitt. They would crawl in under the mat while I would be lying there reading a book and bite us. The Marines would ask me what they were didn't know at the time. They must thrive out there in the Kuwaitt desert with all the dead camels and goats. I have also seen them in the bone yard on base and the beetles on scat piles.

#7 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:46 AM

Mine are in the garage, but the garage is going to get well above 85 in the summer time and they sure as hell aren't coming in the house! Haha.

#8 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:03 AM

Jeff, you got lots of room in your back yard for a tuff shed. Get one, insulate it well, and cover the walls with plywood, run some electricity to it, and install a wall air conditioner with a thermostat. Would make a great reloading room and getaway too.

#9 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:55 AM

I've already got one back there; a nice, newer one. That was my intention...but I need to lay the patio, and run sprinklers first!!You didn't get to see my garage, THAT'S my getaway. I'm looking for a small flatscreen DVD combo and then I'll just need a bathroom out there, haha.

#10 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:07 AM

Get too fancy, and you better put a doghouse to sleep in too. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#11 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:16 AM

Already have the insulated kennel. Haha.

#12 SuperiorSkulls

SuperiorSkulls

Plinker

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors as long as i have my bow or a gun :)

Posted 15 March 2009 - 03:47 PM

That's a nice setup. Good luck with them. I wish I could keep some but it gets too hot here.

John you should have no problem with Dermestid beetles in sacramento. I have a couple colonys and have never had any of the fly unless thy're over 95 degrees. I have cleaned skulls with beetles for years and never had a problem with them. i keep them in a insulated shed outside of my house and it very seldom gets above 95. check out my site if your interested. www.superiorskulls.com

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:35 PM

That's another building my wife wouldn't want until she gets her greenhouse. But thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users