• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

I am going to load up some sierra 100 grain spitzer boat tail and looking at the powder charts h 4350 looks like the best choice? I have some imr 4895 , but will be giving up some velocity loading with it . Any thoughts?

#2 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

Reloader 19 is another alternative.

#3 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

I use h4350 with 95-100 grain bullets. With the lighter bullets one gun likes 4895 but the other two like IMR4064

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

Ditto RL19... That one works in (almost) everything... doesn't it? It is THEE most accurate powder in my 300 win mag with the 165gr bullet. Scary accurate! H4350 & H414 would be a very close 2nd for me & not necessarily in that order.Another old stand by, IF my memory serves me right(scary), was IMR 4831. But I can't imagine not getting good results with one of the other top 3 powders mentioned above. But hey? It is handloading. LOLGood Luck, Eric

#5 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:38 PM

But I can't imagine not getting good results with one of the other top 3 powders mentioned above. But hey? It is handloading. LOL

Yes it is :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: . Those are great place to start, but in the end all the talk in the world means nothing, your rifle and your rifle alone will tell you what she likes :504: . Best of luck.

#6 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:05 AM

In the past when I was reloading 85 gr to 100 gr lead bullets in my 243 Win I use IMR 4895 and IMR 4350 with good results.Now for the 62 gr and 80 gr lead free bullets I am using IMR 4064.I know Frank won't like this, but if the IMR 4895 groups good I would just use it even if it is a little slower on the fps.

#7 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:36 AM

and I have about 3 pounds of it on hand given to me. My goal is to try to build a load that will print close to where my varmint loads shoot. I did it on the 22-250 with 40 grain Blitz kings and 55 grain bergers, but there is a much larger weight spread on the 243.

#8 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:39 AM

I know Frank won't like this, but if the IMR 4895 groups good I would just use it even if it is a little slower on the fps

:smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: And (both) Bob(s) are right on of course. Even after all my decades of handloading & the too numerous times of seeing what one gun likes the other doesn't, it is still almost always amazing (to me). But that's just me of course. LOL Just one small example is, a previous 22-250 I had did not like Benchmark with the 50 & 55 gr bullets, however, it LOVED the Benchmark with the 40 gr bullet. Stuff like that.

#9 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:51 AM

I think the main word you are going to start understanding is the word "variables".When it comes to handloading and trying out different loads...tons and tons of variables. It can drive you crazy.Different bullets seated to different lengths. Different powders and different charges. Different primers. Different cases. Fireformed or not. Annealed or not. Little things like bullet tension usually have a pretty big influence on accuracy...just another variable. Now take all those variables and intertwine them together to create a million more.Was your barrel clean? Did you clean it between trying out your next load? Fouling shot or two? Was the wind blowing or did it pick up since you tried out the other loads? Did you pull a shot? It is endless. The main thing I think many people do is they just expect too much from most factory rifles. At some point they begin chasing their tail. You can buy a fat man some running shoes...doesn't mean he'll win a marathon.Most custom rifles built for accuracy will shoot really great with a wide range of powders and bullets. Pick a good powder and bullet for it and fine tune. Reduces a lot of the variables you get wondering if it's the rifle or not.I'm one to talk haha...I've accumulated A LOT of powder and components through the years that I just had to try in the search for accuracy. Anymore what I do is keep it simple. I bought a 8 pound canister of IMR 4320. It's a really good middle of the road powder. I use it in most everything.

#10 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

The main thing I think many people do is they just expect too much from most factory rifles. At some point they begin chasing their tail. You can buy a fat man some running shoes...doesn't mean he'll win a marathon.

+1

#11 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

I'm one to talk haha...I've accumulated A LOT of powder and components through the years that I just had to try in the search for accuracy. Anymore what I do is keep it simple. I bought a 8 pound canister of IMR 4320. It's a really good middle of the road powder. I use it in most everything.[/quote]What are you calling almost everything?Serious question, cal, and what gr bullet.Tom

#12 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

I agree with tawnoper!tawnoper, I really liked this one "The main thing I think many people do is they just expect too much from most factory rifles. At some point they begin chasing their tail. You can buy a fat man some running shoes...doesn't mean he'll win a marathon." :g-hog-poppin-up-ani:

#13 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

Hey Bob,That is enough fat man jokes.Tom

#14 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:44 PM

I know you were talking about the "other" Bob.Hi, my name is Bob, and I am a fat man also..............

#15 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

My Tikka T-3 likes the H414 with the 75 gr vmax COL is 2.70" then my Savage like both depending on the bullet I'm shooting.Then my Savage likes both depending on the bullet I'm shooting.My Savage likes the 105 amax,Using 42 grn of H4350 for a 1 hole group@100. 95 gr Bal-tip likes 42 grnd of H414, for a 1/2 in. group@ 100.87 gr vmax also likes 42 grns of H4350, One hole group @100.All of these shoot sub 1/2 inch.You just have to be patient and work a powder till you are satisfied it will or won't do what you want it to then you'll have to find the one that will and thats the hard part because the longer it takes the more money you spend in the search.Good LuckFrank

#16 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

Seems the 243 loves the 4350. Too bad its such a long grain as it is tricky to get to measure right in the throw. If I feel it cut a grain i dump it back in the top and throw another.

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,592 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

Buy that ChargeMaster I've been harping on you to get and it won't cut any grains. If you keep tossing them back in the hopper you'll end up with dust. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#18 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,330 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

Seems the 243 loves the 4350. Too bad its such a long grain as it is tricky to get to measure right in the throw. If I feel it cut a grain i dump it back in the top and throw another.

I was just going to say that but in the H4350 is what my 243 likes in 90 gr and I use the h4895 for the smaller stuff like 65gr vmax.So many different choices out there I just like using what I have on hand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users