18 replies to this topic

#1 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:17 AM

I need someone to install some offroad lights on Braz's jeep...anybody know where i can get this done? The places I have called won't do it unless I buy the lights from them...I saved $400+ buying em on craigslist but need an installer. I am not a handy guy with tools...don't suggest I do it myself okay? Not my forte.

#2 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:45 AM

Tell him to drive down here and I'll do it

#3 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:57 AM

Tell him to drive down here and I'll do it

It's already in OC...had it trucked down. Appreciate the offer but you're a little too far away. :-)

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:08 AM

What about this place?http://offroadinstallation.com/or here:http://www.missionhillsautomotive.com/

#5 Barticus

Barticus

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Hogs, upland game, deern coyotes.

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:20 AM

I work in a welding and machine shop. We do that kind of work all the time. I'm sure you can find on in your area.

#6 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 02:48 PM

Here's the thing, people are ripping off these kinda lights all the time so I am looking for a theft proof option. Am I dreaming? This shows the light bar just resting on the carrier...looking for a permanent way to attach them.

Attached Files

#7 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 04:38 PM

you live here in San Clemente right go up the hill up from walmart there is a place call Full Tilt offroad they can do the work for you. That is where I go to get my gear for the jeep. They work on all kinds of rigs and put on lift kits. They have a few racing trucks up there as well. I am sure the address is on line if you need help finding them send me a PM I can show you. I was just up at the shop Monday.

#8 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:05 PM

Bruce the only way to make them theft RESISTANT is to weld them onto the rack and then if they want them bad enough they will cut the rack off. If you get them installed and need them welded on let me know a couple of tack welds would do the trick. I would install the lights for you but don't want to deal with running the wiring up to the rack. Ron

#9 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for the very generous offer...I may be calling you. :good: Are anti-theft lock nuts worthwhile? (The ones that require a special tool) If so then I was thinking I could use them to anchor the lights and rack. Welding would be only other practical option eh?

#10 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:33 PM

How unique are the anti theft nuts and can anyone buy the wrench for them. I think that if some one really wants your lights they will get them. I am not mounting lights on my rack because I dont want the glare on my hood and I am not going fast enough off road to need more than headlights. I am thinkinh of installing amber fog lights on the bumper and aim them towards the ground so when I pull up to a spot at night I can turn off the headlights and run just the ambers so I don't spook any game.

#11 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:59 PM

All nuts can be anti-theft if you tack weld them to the bolts. It also helps keep them from rattling loose.

#12 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:44 AM

Whaddaya do when you need to remove em later if they are welded?

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:11 AM

You just grind off the weld it isn't difficult.

#14 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:11 PM

You just grind off the weld it isn't difficult.

So is the generally accepted procedure to spot weld the lights and the roof rack this way? Seems simple enough.Next question, the rack on this vehicle is about half the size of the roof and easily slides back and forth. I am thinking I should slide it forward when going offroad but maybe having them far forward isn't the best idea. Here is where the basket rests now. The second pic shows the light bar resting on it.

Attached Files

#15 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:41 PM

I would keep the rack in the back and get a light bar to mount towards the front of the roof.

#16 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:48 PM

Whaddaya do when you need to remove em later if they are welded?

Yes, you just grind the tack and unscrew the nut. Fortunately, as you unscrew the nut, the nut acts as a thread chaser and helps clean them up. Also, you just want to put a small tack on the nut to the bolt. No need to get carried away. If being a former union ironworker taught me anything it is that you'd be surprised how strong a good tack weld is. I think jawbreaker has the right idea too. Seems that if the lights are mounted forward, you would have more of the beam shining forward and less of the beam shining on the roof.

#17 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:18 PM

BC9696 you should rethink your choice of mounting for those lights. Reason I say this is that being on top of your roof and as far back as they appear to be mounted will make the lights cast horrible shaddows in front of your vehicle and the glare coming off your hood will make your eyes hurt within an hour. I know this because I used to be partnered up with a guy that ran desert tours at night and his Jeep Cherokee had the lights on his basket rack similar to yours. He had major problems with glare and could not see what was directly infront of his vehicle. Have a separate light bar build and mount them as far forward as possible. I've seen some very nice tube bumpers for the Grand Cherokees also.Another note as far as keeping them theft proof. If you are mounting them on a light bar for your roof, make it where you can take them on and off easily with quick disconnects for the wiring so you only mount them when you're ready to use them. You could even mount them on a Yakima or Thule bar which you can take on and off in minutes.

#18 ForesthillHunter

ForesthillHunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Everything Outdoors, camping, fishing, hunting, riding my quad, 4 wheeling! I just love it!

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:25 PM

I need someone to install some offroad lights on Braz's jeep...anybody know where i can get this done? The places I have called won't do it unless I buy the lights from them...I saved $400+ buying em on craigslist but need an installer. I am not a handy guy with tools...don't suggest I do it myself okay? Not my forte.

I'ld say drive up here and I'll do it, but I doubt they will!

#19 Guest_dan223_*

Guest_dan223_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:47 PM

You need to seriously consider the warning about mounting those lights too far back. It is not a benifit to have them so far back. Another question, if you tack weld the lights to the bar that is mounted on the rack how is the rack mounted to the Jeep? four quick bolts and cut some wires and they get your entire rack, light bar and lights? I doubt your going to weld the rack to your Jeep. This makes the quick connects and a removable light bar already suggested make a lot of sense. I would replace the factory bumper with an aftermarket one that is set up for offroad lights and then mount them to it and tack weld them.This would solve your vision and glare issues, and your mounting issues. A front Bumper bolted to the Frame would allow you to tack weld if desired and is not something that is easily removed and carted off by a punk thief. The wireing from the front bumper is much simpler then from the top of the Jeep as well. Again Just my Two Cents on top of some very good suggestions so far. Good Luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users