12 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin G

Kevin G

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 01:17 PM

Hello folks,Here are a few of 'em that turned out . . . Right side view:Posted ImageLeft side view:Posted ImageBottom view:Posted ImageTop view:Posted ImageI have a couple of photo's of another handgun I will post and provide some background on shortly . . . Kevin G.
Life Member: NRA, VHA, O.T.H.G. Member: CPC.I Do What The Voices In My Tackel Box Tell Me To Do . . .

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 November 2005 - 01:53 PM

Is that your new pig gun? B)

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Kevin G

Kevin G

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 02:49 PM

Hey guys . . .Hey Steve,I will look at it again Steve . . . the script on it is VERY stylized and difficult to read. Not only that . . . but it is kinda rusted/oxidized too boot.There is also some very intricate scroll/leaf work on it as well.Ok . . . a soft rag, a little Liquid Wrench on the rag and some light finger work yielded the following: Right side of the barrel: ?Ano 1854? with some fancy work past the year. The fancy work could be a compass or simply the maker?s markTop of the barrel (This is REALLY a guess here): ?Por Fuinl.Arino? Left side of the barrel: ?En Eibur? (or something like that) and again with the fancy work or compass thingy.The script is VERY stylized . . . lots of loops, swoops and crossovers. It would appear to be cursive in nature as well.There is a great deal of scroll work on the metal as well. Kinda hard to see where the writing ends and the scroll work starts . . .--------------------------Hey John,I don?t think it would make a good pig gun John . . . it is non-op and all.I did take a photo of the muzzle that didn?t turn out very well . . . but here it is anyway:Posted ImagePerhaps I will get my mic out and measure it so you folks can figure out it?s caliber . . .Ok . . . 3 measurement (in inches) completed (Mitutoyo Digital Calipers), measured across each of the 3 Hex surfaces, just inside the muzzle: .6770, .6835, .6780 . . . average .6795. These measurements were taken just inside the muzzle by about 1/8 and inch or so.In MM = 17.19MM, 17.36MM, 17.22MM average 17.25MMThe bore is not quite concentric with the barrel.Barrel dimensions along the same three Hex surfaces: .8960 (22.76MM), .8975 (22.80MM), .8970 (22.78MM).Maryhill (my stepmom) said the locals told her the pistol was from a pirate ship or some such that was sunk off the coast and belonged to (fill in the blank). When and if she remembers the name . . . I will post it.Kevin
Life Member: NRA, VHA, O.T.H.G. Member: CPC.I Do What The Voices In My Tackel Box Tell Me To Do . . .

#4 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 07 November 2005 - 03:28 PM

Looks like there is way too much work in restoring it. I'll give ya $5.00 cash to take it off your hands. :P db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 03:51 PM

You're a PIRATE Dave! Posted ImagePosted Image

Time waits for no one--

#6 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:03 PM

Looks to be a Pirates belly gun, 50 Cal.Did you measure the Bore ?To bad the wood is in such disrepair.From what I see the metal is not bad.
Failure is not an OptionLincoln,Ca.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:20 PM

$6.00 and that's me final offer! Posted ImagePosted Image

Time waits for no one--

#8 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:08 PM

Looks to be a Pirates belly gun, 50 Cal.Did you measure the Bore ?To bad the wood is in such disrepair.From what I see the metal is not bad.

I hope to look that good at 150 years old. :P db

$6.00 and that's me final offer! Posted ImagePosted Image

Too rich for my tastes. Looks like she be yours, John.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#9 Kevin G

Kevin G

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:22 PM

Nawwwwwwwwwwwwww . . . I am gonna keep it.It was amusing to find it the other day. I had 'put it in a safe place' and promptly lost it.CRS is setting in . . . :P firnt :P I did measure the bore . . . it is in the above post.Kevin

#10 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 07 November 2005 - 11:34 PM

Dang nice old piece. You always wonder about the history of something like that.BOARDING PARTY TO THE QUARTERDECK!! BOSUN, HANDOUT THE CUTLASSES AND PISTOLS!! WHO'S GOT THE GRAPPLING HOOK?? WE'LL HAVE A NICE PRIZE BY THIS NIGHT!!Gary

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 08:40 AM

What kind of scope you going to put on it Kevin? I would bet mounts are hard to find! :P

Time waits for no one--

#12 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 08 November 2005 - 02:18 PM

get that restored and shoot it, looks in good shape . Hows the inside of the barrel ?
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#13 Kevin G

Kevin G

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 06:48 PM

Bahahahaha . . . you guys are wackadoodle! (It?s OK . . . I am too . . . I?m OK with that)Yes Gary . . . I do wonder about the history of the piece. I wonder how long it sat in the ocean and under what conditions. Since the piece was manufactured in 1854 and discovered in 1945 . . . just how long did the piece stay in saltwater and how long the piece stayed buried I the sand. Judging from the condition of the metal and (more over) the wood . . . I am willing to bet it was buried/lost in the beach sand and not at the ?bottom of the sea?.I wonder how it got there and who lost it, under what circumstances as it was lost as it was lost cocked and all . . . I would love to get the piece x-rayed. I wonder if there is a ball in the piece.-----------------------Hey John,I plan on putting a Nightforce 8 x 32 x 56 AO with the NP2 reticule. I am gonna guess I am going to have to have the mounts custom fabbed . . . (smirk)Actually, there is a rear ?sight? per se John . . . the metal in the ?receiver? section has been ?split? (mechanically) to form a sighting grove. There isn?t a front ?post? for the rear groove to align to however.-----------------------Hello Thumper,Ehhhhhhhh . . . I don?t think so . . . It is pretty darn frozen in position and the wood is cracked through as you can see in the photo?s.Actually: the bore is smooth and from what I can see (no ?bore scope/light) . . . not bad actually. There is about the same amount of degradation internal as external to the metal. Owing to the age of manufacture and the year it was found . . . I honestly suspect it was buried in the sand . . . not in the ocean and washed up during the storm . . . rather the beach was eroded to a point where it was exposed. I tend to agree with Steve: if it had been in the ocean for all ?those years? (honestly unknown) . . . it would be a blob, not the defined piece it is.You know . . . one of these days I may have to make another monthly meeting . . . if I do . . . I will bring it for you guys to look at.Kevin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users