• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:08 AM

Well I've gotten in the mood to finally get a 12 gage. I've always had 20 gage guns but have been wanting to get a 12. I've been looking at either a Remington 807 or 887. The 807 has been around forever and has a lot of accessories and parts you can change on it. I don't know much about the 887 but like that it will take the 3 1/2 shells and the fact that it won't rust.Any feedback on these shotguns from current owners would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

#2 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:02 AM

I am very happy with my 870 super mag great all around gun
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#3 CHIN SQUIRREL

CHIN SQUIRREL

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Coyote hunting, trout fishing, geocaching, and exploring.

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:01 AM

My 870 has always done right by me.
I'd rather be fishing with my son.

#4 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:24 AM

No complaint from my 870 Express Mag. It does it all; dogs, birds, clays and doubles for my tactical gun when I change to the 18" barrel.

#5 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:34 PM

What about Benelli or Mossberg. So many more choices these days. Benelli is Italian which kind of turned me off. Mossberg is used by the military but I don't know much else about them. I've read some less than flattering online reviews of the 887 and I really don't need anything larger than a 3" cartridge.

#6 timmy

timmy

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, spending time with family

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:14 PM

I have an 870 Express Magnum in 3" (12ga). I had an ejection problem early on. Reminton had me take the barrel to get polished as warranty work. It helped, but the problem was still kinda there. I had my armorer re-build it for a bottle of Gentleman Jack, and now it works great.Remington has had quality control issues as of late. But customer service has been good.I am leaning towards the 887, and have heard mixed reviews. The negative ones seem to be from people who have not used it, but only seen it. The positive ones seem to be from users and raters who have a vested interest in giving good reviews. For around $350, I'm willing to risk it.On the other hand, I've never met a Mossberg owner who didn't LOVE their gun.Hope that helps.

#7 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:55 AM

The thing that scared me away from the 887 after I originally posted were reported instances of the shotgun firing on it's one when the round is chambered. I like the way it looks though, almost futuristic, and the rust prevention features.

#8 Inoculation

Inoculation

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:26 PM

If you want a Remington pump, get the 870 super mag hands down. Everybody always says they don't need the 3.5", but why not have it and not need it. I'm a little biased on the 3.5" due to the fact it's all I shoot.

#9 nitis

nitis

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:18 PM

the 870 has been around for how long? they got that one right Now the benelli is a great gun but it just dont feel right to me of course I have been shooting 870s since I cant remember

#10 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:54 AM

I'd go with the 870 super mag, a benelli super nova, or a browning bps. Do some research on the 887 over at shotgunworld. It got alot of bad reviews after last duck season.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#11 Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Calling predators and building predator calls

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:50 AM

I'd go with the 870 super mag, a benelli super nova, or a browning bps. Do some research on the 887 over at shotgunworld. It got alot of bad reviews after last duck season.

---------------------------------------For good dependable function, long life and easy field stripping, the Remington model 870 is very hard to beat. When I decided to go with the 3& 1/2" magnum fodder, I wanted a gas operated semi auto to cushion some of the recoil, so I went with the Beretta Extrema2. I have been happy with my choice, and no plans for going back to a pump. :(

#12 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:26 PM

---------------------------------------For good dependable function, long life and easy field stripping, the Remington model 870 is very hard to beat. When I decided to go with the 3& 1/2" magnum fodder, I wanted a gas operated semi auto to cushion some of the recoil, so I went with the Beretta Extrema2. I have been happy with my choice, and no plans for going back to a pump. :(

I whole heartedly agree. Once I got my first auto I had no care to touch off another mag load out of my pump..........but for some silly reason I still want a BPS.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#13 Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Calling predators and building predator calls

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:58 PM

I whole heartedly agree. Once I got my first auto I had no care to touch off another mag load out of my pump..........but for some silly reason I still want a BPS.

------------------------------------Yes, the Browning BPS works quite well. I owned a BPS 10 gauge at one time, and still own a BPS in 12 gauge. The action is slick, and never fails me. Only thing I don't like is how parts fall out during field stripping, and I have to fight the thing back together. Browning could design that part pretty easy, but never did. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users