26 replies to this topic

#1 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

Ive been looking at many different .22lr handguns and cant decide on what to get. Im not looking to spend a bunch of money on one i just want it for plinking and carrying it when im hunting. I like both revolvers and semi-autos but im want to stay in the price range of $400 and under. I know theres a lot of guns in that price range like the walther p22, ruger sr22, issc m22, browning buckmark. Ive seen good and bad reviews on these guns and was just wondering what you guys have and how you like them. If you have any suggestions feel free to post. Thanks.

#2 1shot_1kill

1shot_1kill

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:53 PM

I have the ruger 22/45 in the 4 inch barrel and i love it..... Very accurate it shoots every thing i feed it.

#3 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

One of my dads friends has one and i shoot it and it seems pretty nice. I just dont really like the look of them all that much but they are ok. I know they are pretty reliable. Thanks for your input.

#4 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:15 AM

My Dad has a Ruger MKIII and loves it. Its a real good shooter and they go on sale at Turners for like $300. Work really well with a red-dot on them.
The Ruger Single Six is pretty nice too. I like that it comes with 2 cylinders so you can shoot 22lr or 22wmr
Hic Ego Statio

#5 rustygun

rustygun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:All types of hunting, but mostley small game, varmints and predators. X-Military (Army) 20 years. Been away from the hunting game for almost 22 years

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:56 AM

My father in law has the Ruger, shoots good and is reliable. Fun little gun and I kinda like the wheel guns.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,384 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:39 AM

The Ruger Single Six is a nice gun and you can get the convertible and shoot .22mags. I've had one since the 60's and it still works and shoots perfect.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

I bought a Super Single Six in 1976 that's marked something to the effect of " Made in the 200th year of ..." It has a 22 mag cylinder as well. Lots of fun, but haven't shot it in 10 or 20 years.

The Mk 1, II, and III series autos are hard to beat. I never owned one, but have shot a bunch others have owned. I bought a Browning Challenger back in the 70s for my .22 auto. I wish I had a S&W 41 and a Woodsman or two. Challengers are nice gun and should be close to your price or the similar Buckmark .22.
It's not about how many, it's about how.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog or gun

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

#8 cptnmatt

cptnmatt

Varmint Hunter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:shooting, hunting, fishing

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

I shoot both thr single six and the buck mark, both good shooters, my buckmark with a red dot sight and my 4H group used it in state wide postal shoots to win gold in three age groups about eight years running. The single six will never jam and the most reliable.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,384 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

I like my S&W 41's but they are out of your price range. All of the Ruger auto are good I have several but I really like the .22mag cylinder of the single six.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#10 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,792 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

Ruger also makes a single 10 having 10 round cylinders. And don't forget Heritage Arms.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#11 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

I shot this Single Six Hunter in smallbore silhouette matches for a year before I got my Contender. It's very accurate with federal bulk ammo. The red dot is on the contender now, and the single six is an iron sighted rabbit blaster with the 22 WMR cylinder in place.

Posted Image

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#12 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

We should all just rotate guns with each other every year. :signlol2iu:

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

#13 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

Heres a couple of my woods guns, A old model Single Six and a Rough Rider.

Posted Image

They both shoot equally well, never jam, shoot anything I put in them, and are fun to shoot! My wife also has a Mark 1 Ruger. It will shoot rings around both of the revolvers. along time ago I paid $35 for the RR used and $150 for the Ruger also used. DR

#14 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:43 PM

. Im not looking to spend a bunch of money on one i just want it for plinking and carrying it when im hunting.

Then forget about scopes or red dots.

A Ruger MKIII or MKIII 22/45 will cost you just over $300 OTD when on sale (a bit less than the others) and probably shoot way tighter than the Single Six or Heritage. However, you do not have the .22 mag option (a huge plus especially for hunting or PD) and if there is anything more fun than point shooting, hip shooting, or fanning any SA revolver in .22 I have yet to experience it. I have a MKIII 22/45, and I had a Single Six before I gave it away as a graduation gift, and at the end of every shooting day it was always us with my Single Six and my buddy's Heritage out there trying to walk cans point shooting and hip shooting while the MKIII was on the tailgate :D

#15 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:47 PM

My favorite revolver is a S&W Model 17, Target Trigger, Target Hammer, Target Sights. My Favorite Auto is a Browning Challenger.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#16 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

I have a Sig Mosquito, the most hated 22 in the world, lot of people say it jams like hell but mine seems OK, after couple thousands of rounds, it performs flawlessly.

#17 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:28 PM

Hard to beat a single six, or the new single ten.

#18 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:38 PM

I know ruger single six revolvers are good guns but i prefer a double action. Are those heritage guns ok guns? I see them on sale all the time at turners and they are pretty cheap. Ive shot a browning buckmark before and it seems pretty accurate but they are a little more pricey.

#19 weber

weber

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:33 AM

I love my Mk3 it shoots awesome , but still a pain to clean . If I were in the market I would go for the BuckMark at that price point .

Personally looking at S&W 317 .

#20 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

I have a Sig Mosquito, the most hated 22 in the world, lot of people say it jams like hell but mine seems OK, after couple thousands of rounds, it performs flawlessly.

Mine too - funny, I was using the recommended CCI minimags and having all kinds of jams, then on a whim switched to Walmart Federal Bulk and no more jams! It's a fun little pistol, but the Single six is much more accurate...

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#21 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

I know ruger single six revolvers are good guns but i prefer a double action. Are those heritage guns ok guns? I see them on sale all the time at turners and they are pretty cheap. Ive shot a browning buckmark before and it seems pretty accurate but they are a little more pricey.

The Heritages are great bargain shooters. But they are single action. Mine shoots every bit as well as my Ruger SS. But it has a painted on finish, in 28 years Ive repainted it three times. for the price I can look past the finish for a gun that rides in my tractors tool box. one other difference is the Heritage is 8 oz lighter. if you spend any time walking you will notice the difference. If I were looking for a double action revolver as a woods gun Id watch for a H&R to come up. there were thousands of them made, they were double action, held 6 to 9 rounds, all steel, and even today are bargains. they go for 2 to $300. DR

#22 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

Would love to pick up a 617... But pricy.

Are teh H&Rs on the roster?

#23 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:41 PM

I'd have to say that out of all of my hunting arms, the Buckmark is about the best investment I've ever made. That little pistol has head shot more cottontails than all of my other guns combined.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#24 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:13 PM

The Heritages are great bargain shooters. But they are single action. Mine shoots every bit as well as my Ruger SS. But it has a painted on finish, in 28 years Ive repainted it three times. for the price I can look past the finish for a gun that rides in my tractors tool box. one other difference is the Heritage is 8 oz lighter. if you spend any time walking you will notice the difference. If I were looking for a double action revolver as a woods gun Id watch for a H&R to come up. there were thousands of them made, they were double action, held 6 to 9 rounds, all steel, and even today are bargains. they go for 2 to $300. DR

Well i know their pretty cheap and may be good just for a little plinker. I have an old h&r thats probably 100 years old. I think its a 9 shot and to take the cylinder out you have to pull the pin out. The handles are plastic and have like a pearl color look to them.

I'd have to say that out of all of my hunting arms, the Buckmark is about the best investment I've ever made. That little pistol has head shot more cottontails than all of my other guns combined.

Yeah i like it because ive shot one before and it was hard to miss. Its one of my buddys guns thats a retired detective. He said theres only a plastic piece that wore out after using it for like 15 years and shooting thousands of rounds through it.

#25 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:05 AM

You might consider buying used guns. They are often a bargain.

#26 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:06 AM

Wheres a good place to look for used guns?

I was also at turners the other day and i saw the gsg 1911 22lr. It looks really cool. I saw some reviews and it seems like they have a few issues. One is the paint on the slide wears off quick. Then i saw that the bushing on the slide also wears out. Does anyone know anything about them or own one?

#27 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,792 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:27 AM

One place I've found to purchase use guns is Calguns.net. Mater of fact, here is a vry nice 22 listed right now. Very similar to the tne I recently purchases. Great handgun. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=611890&highlight=smith+wesson
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users