• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BCF

BCF

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Dirtbike riding. Anything outdoors. CNC programmer by trade.

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

http://www.softopper...CFe57QgodKCIAvQ

Don't know if you guys have ever seen these. I saw one on the road yesterday and it got my attention. I thought it looked real nice.

I have been wanting a camper shell to sleep in mainly and to store stuff, but I also ride dirt-bikes and kayak a lot, so this looks like a good solution since you can just fold it down and out of the way, or remove it quick and easy.

My only problem is it costs over $700 with a protective cover, and that seems like a lot for some canvas and aluminum tubing. I'm also concerned with how long the canvas would last.

Anyhow, thought you guys might like to see this. I never had a shell on any truck I've owned. I've been contemplating getting one for over a year. I'm slow to make purchases but thinking I should just pull the trigger.

Attached File  219.jpg   38.36KB   0 downloads

Attached File  SoftopperGeneric3.jpg   31.65KB   0 downloads

Here's the protective cover I was talking about.

Attached File  ImageGen.jpg   43.69KB   0 downloads

#2 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

They are fantastic products. A lot of folks in my wheeling club have them on their Tacomas. A few also on Dodge Rams. They truly are worth every penny and not a shoddy product. Also, if you're lucky and not in a hurry, you can sometimes find them used for half(ish) price.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#3 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

Years ago I was looking into getting a Can-Back top. They are sturdier than that one (can put a rack on top of them), but dont fold out of the way. The Can-Back was only about $800 when I was looking at them, now they are $1200+
Hic Ego Statio

#4 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

Years ago, the canvas "shells' were all we had. This is a lot of years ago, like 50 or so. they were great. i hve the hard top now and it's great, but as your ad says, it's difficult to remove like if I want to transort my ATV. I didn't know they still made these soft tops so I may have to look into one. Thanks for posting it.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,216 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

That brings back memories Braz. My dad with the little help I provided built our camper shell for our 53 Chevy pickup. He made it out of plywood and we covered it in fiberglass. That was just over 50 years ago and I thought it was so cool!

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

Why not just get one of those tents for the back of the truck, those are a lot cheaper and no more of a PITA than that thing.

#7 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

When we had the get together in the deseret a few years ago, Bruce had one. Looked pretty nice actually.
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#8 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

and to store stuff,

You dont want to store anything of any value in the back of your truck. A canvas top is not the most secure way of storing things.
Those truck bed tents like Ron mentioned are pretty cool
Hic Ego Statio

#9 BCF

BCF

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Dirtbike riding. Anything outdoors. CNC programmer by trade.

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

Yeah, I was also looking into those tents too. Never tried one. Are they as fast and easy to setup and put away? If they are, then maybe that would be a good option. I'm looking for a way to set up quick, sleep, then take off early in the morning without leaving a trace at camp. In the summer, it's no big deal. I just sleep on the ground without a tent and I'm fine. I'm going soft or something, because I don't like freezing anymore in the winter.

I wasn't planning on storing valuables in there for long periods, just mainly camping stuff- but heck, the shell itself is pretty valuable and probably real easy to steal.

I'd definitely rather have a hard shell, but since I use my truck often and need it without a shell for transporting dirtbikes and kayaks, this looks like a possible winner. Glad to hear the feedback that they work well. Thanks.

Hey Dave- it's pretty expensive, but the same company also offers a rack that goes over the canvas shell that looks pretty sturdy. They also sell a tent you can mount on top. Anyhow, this thing is really just something I am looking into for when I hunt alone which is somewhat often. When I go with my son, I always make a nice camp with tent, table, easy-up etc...people would think I bring too much! But, he really enjoys the camping experience, probably more than the hunting, actually.

Still thinking about it. For the money, I could probably get a used hard shell, AND a small trailer for hauling dirtbikes and kayaks.

P.S. I bought a folding camp cot at Walmart yesterday for $50. It's really nice, and damn comfy.

#10 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

Still thinking about it. For the money, I could probably get a used hard shell, AND a small trailer for hauling dirtbikes and kayaks.

P.S. I bought a folding camp cot at Walmart yesterday for $50. It's really nice, and damn comfy.

Hard shell and a dirtbike trailer might be the way to go. Kayaks can go on top of the shell.
I have one of the $50 coleman cots from WM, works great. I Hate air mattresses, the cot is perfect
Hic Ego Statio

#11 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

Cots are great. Get you off the damp ground. but Remember , they let the air under you so you will get cold from below. Get a pad to put ont he cot to block the cold from coming up from under you. Or lots of newspapers work too.
Handmade Calls by Braz

#12 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

Cots are great. Get you off the damp ground. but Remember , they let the air under you so you will get cold from below. Get a pad to put ont he cot to block the cold from coming up from under you. Or lots of newspapers work too.

If BCF got the same one I did, then it comes with a pad. I have slept just fine on a 30deg night with a good sleeping bag on this cot
http://www.walmart.c...wl5=pla&veh=sem
Hic Ego Statio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users