14 replies to this topic

#1 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:05 PM

looking at different 22, don't know if the low end Marlin 795, will hold up for the long run. I looked at several reviews and it has good marks and one of my co-workers is pleased with his. Dick sporting goods has this pretty cheap, around 120 bucks, Anyone out there have this simi auto, model. Tony

#2 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:46 PM

YES they are great guns!"out of the box" compared to an "out of the box" Ruger 10/22, the Marlin 795 is a better gun. It is basically an updated Marlin 60 with a detachable mag instead of the tube mag. It does not have the Rediculous amount of aftermarket stuff like the 10/22, but it does not need it. I believe mostThe original sights on it suck, but most people put a scope, red-dot, or Tech-sights on them anyways. I have had all 3 on mine. I want to buy 1 or 2 more just cuz they are so cheap and awesome.When we go to the range my daughter shoots about 300-400 rounds in a day through it.
Hic Ego Statio

#3 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:18 PM

I have an older Marlin/Glenfield model 25 Bolt gun. That thing is well over 40 years old and is still pretty darn acurate. Don't know much about the newer ones except that they are now made by Remmington or something. Also if you want a bolt gun you can usually find model 25s like mine for under $100 on auction sites that are fine if you are decent with wood.EDIT: oops sorry misread that thought you were looking at a 725 which is the newer bolt gun.

#4 BearWhoHunts

BearWhoHunts

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:I am into foraging of all kinds. Hunting for game is just one aspect. Every time I am out in the back country I am looking for edible, useful and medicinal flora and fauna. I am also constantly working on survival skills. Hunted as a boy for squirrel, rabbit and some upland birds. I am a farmer by trade and I work for an organic farm founded on ethical work practices.

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:18 PM

Hey Tony,Not too long ago I got one of the new marlin xt-22s. I chose the tube fed one and it takes any and all long rifle, long, and shorts that I throw into the tube. The trigger is adjustable like an accu-trigger and the gun is more accurate than I am. I was looking at a "nicer" (more expensive) .22 and was a little nervous about the new marlins after the buy out but I am totally pleased with mine. And to top it off I got it for less than $200 so I took all my extra money and put it into optics so I am stoked. I have not used the 795 but I have two "new" marlins that I trust and love as much as my "old" marlins. I am not happy with the change but that is the only constant right. The only con with the xt-22 is that the stock is not grippy at all. Their new style of stippling is not at effective as checkering or other companies stippling but as the only downside for a gun that isn't too bad. If I were looking for another semi-auto .22 I would have no hesitation going for the Marlin.
"Nature provides a free lunch, but only if we control our appetites." ~William Ruckelshaus

#5 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for your advice, it looks like a new Marlin will be in my future. How about ammo, what brand shoots best?Tony

#6 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:33 PM

Winchester in one I shot. Stainless/Synthetic Model 60.

#7 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:59 PM

Thanks for your advice, it looks like a new Marlin will be in my future. How about ammo, what brand shoots best?Tony

Dont know what shoots best. The only ammo that has gone through mine has been a couple thousand rounds of the Federal Bulk 550rd boxes. My daughter perforates paper with it and I kill ground squirrels out to 100yds with a cheap BSA red-dot optic.I have switched optics on it a few times and cant decide what I like best. The Red-dot, Tech-sights, or a plain old 3-9x scope. I will probably buy 2 more rifles so I can have 1 with each style of optic hahahaMidwayUSA has 10rd mags for the 795. Also a cheap Bi-pod from Walmart adds to the cool factor.
Hic Ego Statio

#8 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:43 AM

I don't have one but one of my shooting buddies does. He got a ridiculous deal at Dick's Sporting Goods. It's a nice little gun and a good shooter, especially for the price. I want to pick one up next time they go on sale.

#9 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:44 PM

Ok guys, went to Dicks sporting goods today, after rebate Marlin 795, is only 99 bucks, in 11 days I can pick it up. Thanks for the advice.Tony

#10 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

Took out my son and his new Marlin 795 today, Damm was that fun, went thru most of the 555 round box of Winchesters, damm was that was fun.TonyD

#11 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

tonyd,That is great news, I have had some good times with my ruger 10/22.I miss the sore thumbs from reloading clips at the end of the day shooting at sqeeks.

#12 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

Took out my son and his new Marlin 795 today, Damm was that fun, went thru most of the 555 round box of Winchesters, damm was that was fun.TonyD

I wouldn't put down a Rugar 10-22, It is a very nice and dependable rifle. On the other hand, you already have another 22 maybe you could check out a Savage 17HMR.It is a real tack driver, and a blast with fuzzy cans. I have had more fun with that gun than any other in my safe.Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#13 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

I wouldn't put down a Rugar 10-22, It is a very nice and dependable rifle. On the other hand, you already have another 22 maybe you could check out a Savage 17HMR.It is a real tack driver, and a blast with fuzzy cans. I have had more fun with that gun than any other in my safe.Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#14 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:07 PM

I love shooting the 30:06 but it sure gets expansive real fast. The Marlin was just plan fun, went thru almost 400 rounds and didn't even spend 15 bucks, I plan on taking that one out a lot more.

#15 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

The only ammo advise I have is stay away from Rem Golden bullits. they shoot OK but leave so much more powder fouling in the action that they are not worth the trouble. the other advise I have is to lube with a dri lube. I use RemDri. it works great as a lube and doesnt attract dirt , grit and fouling. after a long day shooting I can seperate the action from the stock and blow it clean with just compressed air. enjoy the new rifle, and they are comming out with after market stocks, triggers, etc. heres a cuple I have on model 60s.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users