7 replies to this topic

#1 PAhunter290

PAhunter290

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:48 PM

How do you guys think about using a Rem. 700 in .22-250 for squirrels, fox, and coyote?I would be taking fairly long shots- out to 100 yards for squirrel and as far as 300 for the predators.As for a different gun, anything under 23 caliber is legal in PA for small game.

#2 gunnut

gunnut

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 09:54 PM

Yes.A 22-250 is a great all around rifle for predators and squirrels.I started many years ago with a ruger heavy barreled 22-250.The old tasco 6-20 scopes had just hit the market.I wish I had a nickle for every critter that rig killed. Since then I've owned every combination imaginable.I always keep at least one 22-250 around.For my style, killing targets of opportunity,it's hard to beat.I've shot everything but deer with em. Where in PA do you live?Most of the guys here are from California.How 's your weather out there?

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,393 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:17 PM

I have a couple of .22-250's and as gunnut says they are good all around guns. Here comes the BUT, they are not very fur friendly and more expensive to shoot. Take a look at a .223. :) Oh and the correct terminology is "How's the weather back there." It's back East Bryan. :P :( Boy, I can't believe Mr. Mister mentioned a .17 or .223! :o I almost fell off my chair reading it! :(

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:02 PM

My first centerfire varmint rifle back in the early 70's was a ruger hvy bbl in 22-250 w/a fixed 10x leupold, that I still have. I hate to think how many critters have bit the dust w/that gun. I'm sure the bbl is about gone but it still shoots very well and has many miles as my PU gun. They can be downloaded to be a very good squirrel gun and pumped up for yotes. The biggest negative about the 22-250 is losing your site picture. I'm alittle twisted I guess but I love to see the results of a solid hit at longrange which is tough w/a stock gun in that caliber. Dale
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#5 PAhunter290

PAhunter290

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 07:20 PM

Yes.A 22-250 is a great all around rifle for predators and squirrels.I started many years ago with a ruger heavy barreled 22-250.The old tasco 6-20 scopes had just hit the market.I wish I had a nickle for every critter that rig killed. Since then I've owned every combination imaginable.I always keep at least one 22-250 around.For my style, killing targets of opportunity,it's hard to beat.I've shot everything but deer with em. Where in PA do you live?Most of the guys here are from California.How 's your weather out there?

I live in Central PA, about 25 miles E NE of Willamsport. This morning it was 3 degrees out, not sure of the high, but a snow storm with somewhere between 5-10 inches is coming tonight. Deer season here was one of the worse in a long time, so far I have seen a doe, and any other year I would have seen 5 or 6 doe and 2 or so buck in the first two days. Season ends Sat.

That 22-250 will do a lot of damage to a fox and I've seen them blow large holes in coyotes. Are you going to save the hides or are you just trying to control the population?If you want the hides go with a 17 Rem or 223.As for squirrels-it blows them up at all ranges! ;)

I would save the hides, but I was hoping to get it to enter and exit w/o too much expansion.I like a gun with a high FPS. The .223 is a little slow for me at lond distance. I don't know alot about the .17 Rem, how flat shooting is that? I also thought about a .222.

P. S. Its definitely Remington Country out here.

#6 PAhunter290

PAhunter290

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 08:15 PM

Speed doesn't necessarily kill but the .222 is slower than the .223. And the .223 is cheaper to shoot than any of them period no if's and's or butt's. :blink:

Hmm, my ballistics charts or my memory must be off then.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,393 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 08 December 2005 - 08:29 PM

Hmm, my ballistics charts or my memory must be off then.

Unless you are thinking of a .222 remington magnum? it's .222, .223, .222 remington magnum. :blink:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#8 PAhunter290

PAhunter290

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:09 AM

Unless you are thinking of a .222 remington magnum? it's .222, .223, .222 remington magnum. :lol:

I'll have to check.I also thought about a .22 Hornet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users