18 replies to this topic

#1 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:11 PM

A little help on this one, I only know shotgun loads, but recently bought into the rifle family with a 30-06, my main question is " what grain weight is good for most everything" While I know picking only is more of a compromise then a choice, I don't think I would like to re-zero for every different weight grain. From my reading( mostly on this site ) I think a 150 grain would be a good overall choice, Deer, Pig and the occasional Coyote that won't came into shotgun range. Yes I would like to have a different rifle for every game selection, but the 30-06 won out, I have always been a bigger is better kind of person. From a rifle newbie. Thanks

#2 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:26 PM

I only use 150gr now. I shoot the Hornady SST and GMX. They both have the same POI in my gun, so I dont have to re-zero when changing from lead to lead-free.150gr is good for Deer and Pig, and plenty for yotes.I would only go back to 180gr if I ever draw an Elk tag.
Hic Ego Statio

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,955 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:34 PM

The 150gr is my favorite and the one I've used the most for 45+ years.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:50 PM

thanks Guys, you confirmed what I thought I knew,,,,,,,Wow I just sounded like my son.Tony

#5 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:42 PM

I have always found it funny how many people say a 140gr bullet in a .270 will work fine for elk, but if you're using an -06, you absolutely HAVE to have 165 or 180gr bullets. :wedgie[1]: NOT TRUE!

#6 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:21 PM

I have had great results with the 165 gr. loads on deer and some large hogs, but then again I've never tried the 150's. And they have been real accurate in my rifle. I would shoot whatever shoots the best in your rifle.

#7 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:32 PM

I have always found it funny how many people say a 140gr bullet in a .270 will work fine for elk, but if you're using an -06, you absolutely HAVE to have 165 or 180gr bullets. :wedgie[1]: NOT TRUE!

Didnt say a lighter bullet wont work on an Elk, Just that If I know I'm going after Elk, I would use the 180gr TSX. I know it shoots well in my gun and the extra 30gr cant hurt right?
Hic Ego Statio

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:12 PM

No,no, sorry about that Dave, wasn't directed at ya. Guess I should've made it clearer. That's the nice thing about the -06, you CAN go heavier if you want. I have just had a lot of folks laugh (idiots) when I tell them I hunt pig and wouldn't hesitate to hunt elk with A 150grainer. Sorry for the misunderstanding. On a side note, you always seem to hear about the 150gr Sierra Gameking as being "way too frangible". Haven't done the elk thing with it yet, but two hogs have been dropped with 1 shot each. First one was on a dead run when it stopped him in his tracks, he reared up, and fell backwards. Should know by the end of next weekend if it's 3 down with 3 shots. I only tell y'all this to remind us (myself included) "Don't always believe what you hear. Use ir as a reference, but don't take it for gosphel". Yes, that includes me too.

#9 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:25 AM

I know of several elk killed with 150gr bullets(2 with the game king bullets) from 30-06 rifles. One was a large 6X6 and others were nice bulls and one cow. A 150gr(or165 if you like) is all you need in a 30cal rifle especially when using some of the newer bullets but the old fashion one also do the job.

#10 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:29 AM

According to the Saturday hunting shows on TV, you need a 300 Win Mag to hunt anything larger than a jackrabbit. And it has to be shot off of a BogPod and have one of those rubber barrel resonator things on it. :smiley-sorry:

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,955 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:32 AM

:smiley-sorry: That sure is the truth. I feel so under gunned when hunting after watching those shows.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#12 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:29 PM

Some of those shows kind of make me feel I need to grab my 50bmg loaded with 647gr Barnes X-bullets when hunting anything larger than squirrels.

#13 theduracellbigd

theduracellbigd

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:03 AM

What one will shot the most accurate? Like others have said it is true, the biggest emphasis is finding the most accurate load. My Win model 70 pre 64 likes a few, but it generally likes bullets with more sectional density/bearing surface 165-180. The 100 yd groups tighten up a bit more. I have settled on the Federal Fusion 165, it is fairly inexpensive, shoots really good groups and although I have not killed anything with it, most reviews say it is a strong bullet. I have killed eight deer and one hog with mostly 180 and 150 grain Win. power points/Rem. Core Lokt and all performed well. By the way all shots were 125 yards and in. The ballistics sales people want you to dream of that 300 yard plus shot, and it does not happen to often for most hunters. I think your twist is 1 in 10 and you it will shoot most well, but each gun is different. Fiocchi 165 grain Sierra Game King was a great load for my gun, and others I talked with , it runs about 27 dollars a box, but I could get Fusion for about 20 and it grouped within 1/8moa of Fiocchhi so I went with it. Have fun testing, I enjoyed it almost as much as hunting......lol

#14 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:12 PM

Remington 150 gr core lokt, great for the money
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#15 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:12 AM

My second deer and it was shot with a 150 gr core loktPosted ImageDropped him so fast I didn't even see him fall, True story
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#16 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:14 AM

Now, If i can get someone to help me get my second yote :drinks:

#17 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

A 150 grain bullet properly constructed for the task at hand will kill anything thats legal to hunt in this state if the hunter does two things.1) cause the bullet to exit the muzzle at a minimum velocity of 2800 FPS.2) be close enough to the animal for a 1800 FPS impact velocity.For what it worth if a 150 grain bullet with a BC of 415 leaves the muzzle at 2800 feet per second, at 500 yards its still moving at 1800 fps and carrying 1078 foot pounds of energy. Now when you consider that the OP is using a a .30-06 which can easily get a 150 grain bullet up into the 2900 fps range, a 150 grain bullet is plenty good kill'n medicine.
http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64check out my piece of the webHowa 1500, short action, 24" #6 contour heavy varmint barrel, Bell & Carlson MkII medalist, 4-16x50mm optics.

#18 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (deer, elk, turkey, upland bird) wanting to get into predator hunting, fishing, mules and packing, fly rc airplanes, ride bicycle, both road and mtb. I also, along with my wife , build western cowboy spurs.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

I use 180 grain in my rifle simply because it shoots a small group with them, tried 165 but couldn't get as small of group, find a weight bullet that your gun "likes" and use it.

#19 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

If we're talking lead core bullets then its 165 grain bullets for me. They shoot flatter than 180s while offering a higher sectional density than 150s. When comparing bullets of different calibers sectional density gives you a better idea of penetrating ability than bullet weight. That's why a 140 grain .270 bullet is often considered a better elk bullet than a 150 grain .308 caliber bullet (and a 140gr .264 bullet is better than either of them).If we're talking copper bullets, I'll take the extra velocity of the 150s.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users