13 replies to this topic

#1 hardyboy

hardyboy

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:29 AM

I am interested in bowfishing and had a few questions that i am sure someone on here could answer. i dont know anything about it so i am sure i will have a few dumb questions.Do you need a fishing license or a hunting license or both?Can you do it anywhere or is it specifided areas only?Are carp the only fish allowed to be shot?Do you need a boat?Do you use a recurve or compound?I have read its hard on your gear so use a beater bow is this trueWhen is the best time of the year and time of the day to go out?Thanks guys I will probably have more questions

#2 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:35 PM

1) Fishing Lic2) Only on certain lakes, canals and the ocean3) Freshwater; Carp is the most common, also Tilapia and suckers. No game-fish Saltwater; Many more species4) Dont need a boat, but it helps in certain areas5) Any bow will do (dont mind getting it wet)6) Spring/Summer Carp are spawning. Late morning into the evening is goodGo on craigslist and look for a used bow. Either a recurve or older compound. Get an AMS Retriever Reel and some arrows.

#3 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:41 PM

Freshwater regs2.25. Bow and Arrow Fishing. Bow and arrow fishing is permitted only for the taking of carp, goldfish, western sucker, Sacramento blackfish, hardhead, Sacramento pikeminnow and lamprey, all year, except in:a ) Designated salmon spawning areas.b ) The Colorado River District where only carp, tilapia, goldfish and mullet may be taken.c ) See bullfrogs (Section 5.05).d ) The East Fork Walker River between Bridgeport Dam and the Nevada State line where carp only may be taken during trout season.Saltwater Regs28.95. SPEARS, HARPOONS AND BOW AND ARROW FISHING TAcKLE. Spears, harpoonsand bow and arrow fishing tackle may be used for taking all varieties of skates, rays, and sharks,except white sharks. Such gear may not be possessed or used within 100 yards of the mouthof any stream in any ocean waters north of Ventura County, nor aboard any vessel on any dayor on any trip when broadbill swordfish or marlin have been taken. Bow and arrow fishing tacklemay be used to take finfish other than giant (black) sea bass, garibaldi, gulf grouper, broomtailgrouper, trout, salmon, striped bass, broadbill swordfish and white shark.

#4 hardyboy

hardyboy

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:08 AM

Thanks daveI will be looking into getting a cheap setup

#5 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:37 AM

I wouldnt use anything less than a 45lb draw weight bow. The arrows are heavy and you need the punchHere are some off cragslisthttp://inlandempire....2303146438.htmlhttp://inlandempire....2302082925.htmlhttp://inlandempire....2290300945.htmlhttp://inlandempire....2282129916.html

#6 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:37 AM

I've shot tons of fish with a 30lb recurve - all near the surface though. I just had an Oneida Bow rebuilt specifically for bowfishing - 55lb, so I use that now. Carp will be spawning soon - as soon as the water temperature gets above 65. Another favorite of mine is walking the surf line at Torrey Pines State Beach and trying to nail Corbina. Tough targets that taste good when you can connect. You also have the option of shooting stingrays in the bay. Boat not always necessary, but be inventive and use what you got - Me at the Big Bear Carp Roundup a few years back...Posted Image

#7 hardyboy

hardyboy

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:29 PM

That is a cool picture. It looks like alot of fun. Did you make those stabilizers for the kayak? Without them it would almost be impossible to stand up and shoot.

#8 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:57 PM

Places to shootBig BearElsinoreLake IsabellaLake HenshawColorado RiverKern RiverSalton Sea (tilapia)HemetCoachela canalsEl CapitanSutherlandOtaySan VicenteHodgesCachuma

#9 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:31 PM

That is a cool picture. It looks like alot of fun. Did you make those stabilizers for the kayak? Without them it would almost be impossible to stand up and shoot.

Yep, I made them - they are Ram Mount rod holders with home made 1 1/2" pvc and lobster trap float pontoons. Even a lard butt like me can stand in the boat and shoot with those deployed!

#10 sportyg

sportyg

Sportyg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Fishing, hunting, Football, playing backgammon,& music

Founder: Hunters Helping Hunters
    www.huntershelpinghuntersUSA.org
    LM:NAHC

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:30 PM

Hemet is or was not open to bowfishing, unless they changed the rules.. Check before going there..

#11 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,808 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:01 PM

Got to get out and do that this year. It is fun.

#12 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:09 AM

Elsinore is going off right now. Still too cold for Big Bear I think

#13 sportyg

sportyg

Sportyg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Fishing, hunting, Football, playing backgammon,& music

Founder: Hunters Helping Hunters
    www.huntershelpinghuntersUSA.org
    LM:NAHC

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:40 PM

Elsinore is putting out some nice carp ( 5/6lbs) but not a lot due to the die off last year..

#14 socalbry

socalbry

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:14 AM

Anyone up for a Lake Henshaw shoot? I have some connections there and can get us a boat......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users