17 replies to this topic

#1 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

My brother is looking into buying a savage mark II f bolt action 22lr. but most gun stores do not carry them in stock. He would like to take a look at it before hand to see if he likes it but all the stores tell him he has to special order it. If he wanted to secial order it he would have to pay it all and have a background check. They told him he could return the gun if he doesnt like it but he would not get the money back from the background check and if he wanted another gun he would have to pay for another one. Does anyone own one or have shot one before? Or what other guns would you recommend for around the same pice? They gave him a price of $209.

#2 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

Try checking a Big 5 sporting goods store. I've seen them there before.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#3 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

We check our local big 5 and all we found were Marlin bolt action 22.

#4 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

Your brother should definitely shoulder one before buying. I don't like the synthetic stocks Savage uses on their .22 F. The stock drops too low for a good cheek weld for my liking but your brother might find it okay. I much prefer the laminate thumbhole stock on the BTVS, as well as the heavy stainless barrel.Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:08 PM

You might want to try Fowler's Gun Room (The Stockade) in Tustin right at the 55 & 91. It's not too far from you and they have quite a selection, plus you could always call and find out first.Fowler Gun Room - The Stockade

#6 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:35 PM

Yeah he wants to look at one first and then decide. The one you have looks awsome. He doesnt want to spend all that much. Hes trying to stay in the $220 range. A gun just for plinking and may a bit of hunting.

#7 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:37 PM

You might want to try Fowler's Gun Room (The Stockade) in Tustin right at the 55 & 91. It's not too far from you and they have quite a selection, plus you could always call and find out first.Fowler Gun Room - The Stockade

Thanks Bisley. Ill tell him to give them a ring tomorrow. Its not too far and from their pictures it seems like they have a lot of guns.

#8 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:35 AM

The BTVS usually runs $369. My friend has a BV and really likes it. The BV has a blued heavy barrel, laminate stock and is a real shooter, too. They're less expensive than the BTVS. I'd recommend your brother go for a BV, although he'd need a scope because they don't have iron sights. http://www.chuckhawk...II-BV_rifle.htmhttp://www.savagearm.../model/MARKIIBV

#9 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,166 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

I would go with a semi auto.

#10 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:51 PM

Thats what i told him but he wants a bolt action. He called fowlers today and they said that they have one so we'll probably go take a look at it. I want to find a used cz 452 ultra lux.

#11 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:17 PM

There's an ultra lux on the classifieds at rimfire central but the used ones go for about as much as a new one. I'd have a shop see if any of their suppliers still have any 452's left.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#12 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

He called fowlers today and they said that they have one so we'll probably go take a look at it. I want to find a used cz 452 ultra lux.

Cool, hope it works out. And yes, they do have quite a selection, especially for a SoCal store. They and The Stockade in Huntington Beach are like sister companies, somehow related, and I do believe they will ship guns and such back and forth if needed. They may not be the cheapest around, but that is the price to pay for a good selection unfortunately. It is nowhere near as cheap as ordering bulk online sometimes, but absolutely perfect if you need reloading equipment or supplies in a pinch :good: .By the way, WARNING! - BE AWARE OF BOTH THEIR USED GUN RACKS!!! They usually have a great selection of used .22 (which is why I recommend anyone looking for their kid's or their "first" gun to look there) and shotguns too. It can get very, very expensive, or so I've heard :rolleyes:

#13 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

There's an ultra lux on the classifieds at rimfire central but the used ones go for about as much as a new one. I'd have a shop see if any of their suppliers still have any 452's left.

Oh really? Ill check it out. Yeah there about $400 new. They sell them new at Turners for about the same. If i could find one for $200 or $250 used id probably buy it.

#14 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

Cool, hope it works out. And yes, they do have quite a selection, especially for a SoCal store. They and The Stockade in Huntington Beach are like sister companies, somehow related, and I do believe they will ship guns and such back and forth if needed. They may not be the cheapest around, but that is the price to pay for a good selection unfortunately. It is nowhere near as cheap as ordering bulk online sometimes, but absolutely perfect if you need reloading equipment or supplies in a pinch :good: .By the way, WARNING! - BE AWARE OF BOTH THEIR USED GUN RACKS!!! They usually have a great selection of used .22 (which is why I recommend anyone looking for their kid's or their "first" gun to look there) and shotguns too. It can get very, very expensive, or so I've heard :rolleyes:

Yeah thanks again Bisley for telling me about fowlers. I can wait to go look around. They sell the savage there for like $225. At bass pro their $200 and Turners has them for $210 but they have to special order it. Turners is the closest to me.

#15 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

Oh really? Ill check it out. Yeah there about $400 new. They sell them new at Turners for about the same. If i could find one for $200 or $250 used id probably buy it.

An Ultra Lux at $200-$250 will be a hard bargain to come by. I just checked gun broker and the cheapest price for an iron sighted 452 (not counting the kadet) was a Trainer with a BIN price of $300. Good luck on your search and be sure to post pics when you get one.

#16 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

Yeah it will probably be hard to find but we'll see what happens. Hopefully i can find one. Thanks for your input.

#17 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:51 PM

Any time. That is definitely the major drawback to Turners and BPS, they have really good prices, but zero inventory :rolleyes:

#18 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:12 PM

Yeah thats the only thing. But at least he can go check it out at fowlers and if he likes it he can get it at turners since its so close to go pick it up too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users