#1 StephLuvsHunting

StephLuvsHunting

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Gold Panning, Beer, Fireball

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:21 AM

I'm new to Archery and have seen that the more skilled Archers looking for a challend use wood bows. And I was wondering if anyone has every taken down game with a wooden bow? I think it would be neat to make my own bow and take down game one day.

#2 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,709 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:58 AM

Hello stranger,
Steph, If I were hunting for big game, I would take advantage of
the technology in today's compound bows, Great sights, and balance, with many other
options. (Just my opinion)
Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,323 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:01 AM

That is what Thumper Dunker uses. He's pretty successful with his.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

I use my old Bear Longbow for small game and birds. Look on craigslist for used bows
I have a PSE compound for bigger stuff
Hic Ego Statio

#5 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

I use a Zona longbow that gets used for hunts probably 50% of the time.
When you start going traditional the practice time goes up exponentially to keep the accuracy up to par, even though the effective range is much less as compared to a modern compound. They sure are fun to shoot though, and much more rewarding when you connect.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#6 Emmo

Emmo

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

I have an old compound bow that i've been shooting for a few months now and the other day I borrowed a wooden recurve (or something like that) and let me tell you I was very impressed at how accurate I was on the first 5 shots shooting indian style with it. it was only a 35lb draw and had plenty of power to be able to do some damage at 30 yards with great accuracy. Im sure the new bows are amazing but these arent too shabby. Im looking to get one now and try it out on small game

#7 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,736 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:59 PM

Can't be done . And you will never be able to hit any thing with out sights. Go for it I have taken lots with my hickory self bow and hand made wood or bamboo arrows. I need to get a coyote with a stone point this year.My self bow.
Posted Image
My two bows I use most . High tech recurve and my reflex deflex long bow. say that three times fast.
Posted Image
Posted Image
And you meet some sexy babes. Och! Och ! I was only kidding hony onnest :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :archer-green:
Posted Image
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#8 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,736 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:02 PM

Like Baja said your going to need to practice and practice to hit good or at all. I try to shoot every day. But its way cool when you do get somthing. Theres lots of good info on the web on trad bow hunting. Find a good bow shop that the guy hunts with a trad bow. Its not a walk in the park But it can be like going 128 in a 2008 Impala :653: . :rolleyes:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#9 StephLuvsHunting

StephLuvsHunting

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:25 AM

Thanks guys for all your opinions. Ideally I know I would want a compound bow especially for bigger game, and knowing that I never shot a bow before it would be the best way to go. But seeing as that funds are limited right now, I may try and fiddle around in my backyard with a longbow? Obviously I won't be going out any time soon to hunt anything as I'd want to have good accuracy and make sure I bring down a critter on the first shot.

Thanks again!

Hello stranger, Steph, If I were hunting for big game, I would take advantage of the technology in today's compound bows, Great sights, and balance, with many other options. (Just my opinion) Tom

Hi Tom! Thanks for your opinion. And I totally agree with the technology of today's bows, way more accurate and other options!

Wow thanks for sharing Thumper Dunker, how far were you when you took this coyote down?

#10 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,736 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:06 AM

I think both of those were at 10 -15 yards. Long bows and recurves kill just as good as a compond you just need to be able to hunt better. :bleh[1]: :P :lol: :archer-green:

#11 StephLuvsHunting

StephLuvsHunting

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

Very cool. I like the challenge, would be neat to hit a buck at 10-15 yards and knock em down quick :ninja:

#12 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, guns, and saddles,
    self appointed GURU of squeek shooting in Modoc County

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

Thumper, I am going to buy a bow, don't care what kind. Just want to meet that blue lady in the skins lol! :653: :yahoo:

#13 Styckk

Styckk

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

I make wooden bows and shoot them often. I have taken them hunting and actually gotten a shot off at a deer that was just a bit out of my effective range with the self bow. I used to shoot a compound bow and chances are I would have made the shot with it. BUT, in my opinion a wooden bow, especially one self made, is the way to go. Pick up the magazine, Traditional Archer, and read some of the articles. I got rid of my compound bows 15 years ago. I used to sell the bows I made......now I just give them away to people who are interested.......my small bit to promote archery the way our ancestors practiced.

#14 StephLuvsHunting

StephLuvsHunting

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:54 AM

I sent you a PM :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users