14 replies to this topic

#1 cj1026

cj1026

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:05 PM

Has anyone used one of these scopes? I am thinking of getting one for my AR. Probably 4-12x40 version. I like the BDC and even more I like the price since money is tight.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,195 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:15 PM

Couldn't find one of those Center Fire Turret Tactical's on the Cabela's site that was 4-12 or a BDC reticle. I think those are made by BSA like the Sweet 17 and those are notorious for being junk. I had one and it would not shoot to the same point twice. I could be wrong maybe you could put a link to the particular scope you are looking at so we can be sure.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 cj1026

cj1026

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:18 PM

Its a 3-12 not 4-12. Opps.http://www.cabelas.c...e...&hasJS=true

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,195 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:20 PM

I'm almost positive that's a BSA. But some have had some luck but I think the majority end up sending them back as fast as possible.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:32 PM

spend just a little extra and get a leupold vx-II 4-12x40 or 3-9x40 you'll be glad you did....

#6 cj1026

cj1026

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:51 PM

I would love to get another Leupold but I just don't have the funds for that right now.

#7 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:59 PM

Your better off cruising e-bay and buy older but name brand scope. Those chicom made scope are total waste of your hard earned dollar!
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#8 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:23 PM

I have one of my friends' Cabela's Turret Scopes on my new Remington R-15 VTR. I posted it in the AR-15 section. I put the scope on as an experiment to see if the BDC works or if it's a joke. It appears nice and clear from side to side and the reticles are nice and crisp. I don't much care for the lock ring that holds the eye piece in one spot. It's made out of plastic and in the heat, it expands and turns on it's own like someone lubed it with butter. The turrets are marked for yardage depending on what caliber and weight bullet you are going to use. I normally shoot Hornady 55gr V-max in .223. The chart says to use the .223 55gr turret. When you look at their chart, the .223 55gr turret says the bullets speed should be 3100fps. Well, I have chronographed my Hornady V-max bullets consistently at over 3200fps and sometimes a lot number will come up at 3245-3252fps. Now, I don't know about anyone else but 100-140fps is quite a difference. My solution is to experiment with both the 55gr turret and the 50gr turret that is rate for bullets with a speed of 3200fps. I will also be testing the zero on this scope as I shoot between 100, 200, 300, 400 and hopefully 500yds ( I have a canyon that I used to shoot my .50 BMG at over 1800yds). I'll post my finding a.s.a.p.. My other scope (Bushnell Elite 6500) is going on as soon as I'm done experimenting.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#9 cj1026

cj1026

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:40 PM

fakawee I am very interested in your findings and thoughts.

#10 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:54 PM

Did you read the reviews there on Cabela's? 33 of them and it's rated at 3.5 out of 5.

#11 cj1026

cj1026

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:03 PM

Yeah I did. Seems like when they first came out they had issues and maybe now they are a little improved. I just like being able to talk to someone that has used them so I can ask questions and suck.

#12 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:23 AM

Your better off cruising e-bay and buy older but name brand scope. Those chicom made scope are total waste of your hard earned dollar!

awhile back I bought a used 3-9x40 VX-II for $200 on ebay. More recently I attempted to buy another one and got outbid for $202 and change....

#13 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:28 PM

Well, went to the desert to break in the rifle and also experiment with my buddy's Cabelas Tactical Turret scope. The wind early this morning sucked with crosswinds in the 12-14mph, left to right, with gusts to 18mph but I shot none the less. The scope actually performed better than I expected. Like mentioned earlier-the lock ring for the eye piece kept coming loose so I used some blue Loctite to hold it in place but since it's plastic, I don't know if it will hold long. It was still good to go when I left this afternoon. Just for info, I use Hornady .223 Vmax 55gr bullets. I zeroed it at 100yds with both turrets. I then proceeded to see which turret was the most accurate at distances. The 55gr turret had a bullet speed rating of 3100fps while the 50gr turret had 3200fps. At 220yds as I expected, the 55gr turret dropped bullet impacts almost 3" below bullseye. The 50gr turret was almost dead on at 1/2 inch above bullseye. Not mind you the wind was steady at 12+ mph which caused my shots to be to the right of bullseye but on the same level. I then move out to 301yds and when the wind slowed to 3-4mph moved out to 425yds where I only shot 5 rounds from each turret. I got the same results, only the 12 power (maxed out) is not powerful enough for the longer shots. The 425yd shots were made harder by the amount of bees that swarmed me but didn't sting. They just kept crawling on the scope, spotting scope, rifle and me. Sure is annoying to have bees sucking down sweat from your forehead as you're trying to concentrate on the long shots. I then went back to my 100yd mark, rotated the turrets to 100yds and took another 10 shots. I was amazed to find that it was still set and hitting the bullseye. So, for an inexpensive scope, it worked better than expected. The zero held, the side focus is good but don't use it to judge range by assuming that when your object down range is clear, the marks on the side focus must mean that's the range one should dial in on the turret. You'll miss if you use that feature. The clarity is good-not the best but this is a low budget scope. I would've liked to test it's low light visibility but at 40mm, it's bound to be poor. Now that I'm done with this experiment, I've changed over to my Bushnell 6500 Elite and the dialing in process begins all over again. Yeah!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#14 SVThuh

SVThuh

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:57 AM

I have one of those Pine Ridge scopes and the optics are actually pretty decent. The turrets in my opinion take a little bit too little effort to adjust, I would like a stiffer turret, but I really have no complaints. I can shoot my M1A National Match with it and get sub MOA results consistently. I would like to get something a little better, especially for such a nice scope, but it just isnt in the budget. Especially now that I am out of work. Oh well, someday...If your curious about these scopes, and your on a major budget, don't hesitate. They are nice. Granted they might be hit or miss, but I am very happy!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#15 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:47 AM

Yeah I did. Seems like when they first came out they had issues and maybe now they are a little improved. I just like being able to talk to someone that has used them so I can ask questions and suck.

DUDE!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users