15 replies to this topic

#1 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:16 PM

I finally got around to shooting this today. Not real pleased. Out of my Ruger 77/22 it was erratic and would not hold a group. That may not be the fault of the ammo as this rifle is kinda picky as to what it shoots well. I shot a few from a stock 10/22 and it did as well or better than the 77/22. Still not good though. Then to the field. I shot 12 to 15 squirrels with the hollow point ammo. All but four of them made it back to their holes. The ones I inspected did not have very severe wounds. Certainly not like the many hundreds that I have shot with lead ammo. The terminal results were not up to my hopes. Just my :signlol2iu: Your mileage may vary.

#2 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for the update

#3 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:55 PM

Dang, that's too bad. I'm not real surprised though.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,674 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:06 PM

Rod, that seems to be the norm for non lead ammo. The only non-lead ammo that seems to work are the tin pellets for airguns.

#5 Epick

Epick

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:Uni cycling, wight-lifting, airguns, cars, etc etc

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:34 PM

Maybe some squirrels suffered, but at least the condors are safe

#6 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:35 AM

Thanks for the update.. I guess I will continue not to hunt lead free zones.

#7 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:25 PM

sounds like they are forcing us to become out -laws.. :rolleyes:

#8 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:59 PM

Thanks for the report. Doesn't sound too promising. At what range were you shooting the ground squirrels?

#9 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:51 PM

Around 50 yards. The ammo was not accurate enough to try it much further.

#10 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:02 AM

Okay, thanks. I wonder if its accuracy would vary depending upon the twist rate of the barrel. Since that stuff is pretty light weight, maybe it prefers a slower twist. I think my Savage has a 1:16" twist. Do you know what yours is?

#11 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:35 PM

sounds like they are forcing us to become out -laws.. ;)

:smiley_green_with_envy: :signs1180lq:

#12 Dutchman

Dutchman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:48 PM

I think I'll buy a box of it anyway...shoot a few to show I've been shooting it and keep the box with me when I go into any lead free zones. That one box should last me a lifetime.

#13 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:51 AM

My experience so far with the Super-X tin .22LR has been similar. I bought a box last week and tried it at 50 and 100 yards. I saw it sitting on the shelf at Big 5 and was astounded to see a box of 50 rounds cost a whopping $9.99. But I grudgingly bought a box anyhow to try it out in my Savage BTVSS. First of all, these hollow points are only 26 grains so it's very light and easily buffeted off course by any wind. My 5-shot groups were running about 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" at 50 yards shooting off a Harris bipod in between 10 mph gusts. So I guess it could be usable if you had to whack a varmint at 25 to 50 yards. But match ammo, it ain't. It's high speed stuff, running a claimed 1650 fps although I didn't chron it. Despite my efforts to time the gusts, the wind played havoc with my 100 yard groups. Vertically, the string was about 3" but left and right they spread out to over 1 foot. I'm glad Winchester came out with a non-lead .22LR. At least it shows they're willing to take some risk and be a leader in the industry in lead free .22LR to try to satisfy this idiotic Condor law. But the truth is, the outrageous cost and lack of performance is disappointing, especially compared to the Wolf Match Target .22LR hollow points I can make with the Waltz die which only cost $5 a box. At least we can still hunt resident small game with leaded rimfire ammo (for the time being, anyhow).

#14 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:09 AM

I haven't seen any target results with non lead in the 22lr, however, in BADCOYOTE'S Savage 22 mag, the CCI 30(?)gr h.p. did pretty well if I remember right? Not as good as the lead stuff, however? I will be testing about a half dozen different flavors, including the CCI above after I get my (new) Savage 93fv, 22 mag out of jail in about a week. Yep, I bought a 2ND Savage. YIKES, I'm on a Savage roll lately. Sure hope they shoot. LOL I will be testing my 22-250 predator again tomorrow. Was going to be today, but was shoved out another day. ugh!Anyway, I believe most 22's are 16" twist, but of course could easily be wrong on that... Frank

#15 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:41 PM

I just checked and the CCI 22 mag ammo I mentioned above are indeed 30 grain bullets... which I have 300 rounds of (along with LOTS of other brands & weights), so sure hope I can at least hit the target with anyhow. lol

#16 Dutchman

Dutchman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:11 PM

Wouldn't depleted Uranium be a better lead substitute than Tin? :smiley-funny-post-sign:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users