13 replies to this topic

#1 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:47 AM

Sam and I spent a cool Sunday morn on the SF Bay shark fishing. This is something we do each summer. The bait used for leopards is midshipman. This is a slimy, I mean snot slimy bait that the leopards feed on. We were in 40 feet of water fishing the orange smoke stack about 200 yds. south of the Giants ballpark. The tide was a minus 5ft+. We caught seven sharks six leopards and one sand shark. To put it in the right perspective, Sam caught six I caught one. The method used is to keep the bait on the bottom with the reel on free spool with the click on. When the shark picks up the bait he runs the reel sings, you set the hook and hold on. Sharks need to be 36? to keep. The largest caught on this day was 48?. We had about 5-6 other strikes that we missed. We kept one male. CRS struck and I couldn?t remember if the male or female had claspers. After calling Shooter John and two bait shops Sam?s girlfriend had to research it in the web and call us back.... It is the male with claspers. Claspers are an extension of the pelvic fin. A good time was had by all, including Bubba.SteveBubba trolling for stripersPosted ImagePosted Imagesand sharkPosted Image"HOT BAIT" sharks must be gutted right away to prevent them from them tainting the meat with urine. In the process you open the stomach looking for partially digested midshipman. (shark candy) Here Sam is holding "hot bait"Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:53 AM

Nice weather out in the Bay too! It was probably in the 70's? Friday - it was 95+ degrees in the East Bay. It was in the 60's near the City. Always great fishing the Bay.

#3 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:44 AM

cool looking fish.looks fun.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 12:08 PM

Nice. How do they taste?

#5 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2006 - 12:41 PM

Do they put up a good fight? Looks like you had pretty calm waters. Maybe we should have a club fishing trip out on the bay.

#6 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 26 June 2006 - 12:45 PM

I'd be in for a 6 pack (boat) if a trip was put together.... The big party boats just gets too crazy...

#7 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 26 June 2006 - 01:03 PM

I'd be in for a 6 pack (boat) if a trip was put together.... The big party boats just gets too crazy...

The morning star is a great party boat I believe he will reserve the whole baot for 16-18 guys I go out on it at least once a year the capt and deck hand are great. If there is enough interest I am willing to put a charter together Rober
Rocklin,Ca

#8 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 01:49 PM

Is Halibut running? Depending on when I'd be in...I vote Robert gang leader of this trip B) ;)

#9 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 26 June 2006 - 05:46 PM

Is Halibut running? Depending on when I'd be in...I vote Robert gang leader of this trip B) ;)

Just got off the phone with Gordon the Cpt He is the low down. As I assume most of you work during the week( I am on summer vacation after next week so dates don't matter to me. he charges $75 a head and that includes bait and tackle. Rod rental is $7.00To charter the boat for a weekday he only needs us to commit to 15 guys. $1125 for the boat less guys more per personTo charter on a weekend he needs 22 guys to commit. $1650 for the boat He said he could target sharks and halibuts. Here are some goos day in July and early August that have good tides Tuesday 25 of July Friday 28 of JulySunday the 30 of July CUrrentyly 4 people on that day) Sunday 6th of August (Open)http://www.morningstarfishing.info/Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#10 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:36 AM

Do they put up a good fight? Looks like you had pretty calm waters. Maybe we should have a club fishing trip out on the bay.

You can gear up or down to determine fight. I use 50 lb. braid and a very tight drag. yes sharks put up a good fight. Taste. excellent table fare. They have a mild white meat. The fun starts once you drag a shark on deck. I use 3 ft. 90 lb. wire leaders. Once they have tired you grab the leader with a gloved hand and boat the fish. Then the fun starts........B) I call it the shark dance :o You have to stand on their pectoral fins to remove the hook. (with pliers) Keep in mind Leopards have very small but sharp teeth. ;) If you're looking for a 6 pack trip contact the "Fin Addict" 367-4665.Steve

#11 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:44 AM

July 28th would be do able.... Maybe... Any interest guys?Thanks for calling Robert.

#12 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:39 PM

well hog my dail up is on over load I wish i could see those pics .I bet it must have been fun I would have enjoyed the weather its sure hot here in the valley.

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,469 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:47 PM

Sorry I couldn't answer your question about the sharks Steve, it's been too long. :o But I remember those sharks tasted good. :D Hint Hint. ;)

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#14 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:25 AM

Sam and I had shark and asparagus last night. ;) I dust the fillets in Wondra. I don't like a lot of batter.Oh by the way...it was excellent. :D One thing about shark fishing VS halibut. I can't remember not catching sharks on an outing and I have been skunked many times on halibut.Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users