16 replies to this topic

#1 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:26 PM

Anyone ever use these? Some of the nylon tents look cool but I fear they are not very sturdy or durable. This kodiak model is different.Whaddaya think? Seems like a decent alternative to a traditional tent, especially in snake ridden places (like the American Canal which is loaded with sidewinders) or for trips in wet/snowy weather. Product Description The Kodiak Canvas Truck Bed Tent gives you the unmatched quality of a Kodiak Canvas tent for your pick-up truck. This is absolutely the best truck tent on the market. A nylon tent has its place if you have to strap it on your back and hike it up a mountain, but has no business on the back or your truck. This durable, canvas, truck tent will long outlive cheaper-made nylon and polyester tents. Pitch your tent anywhere your truck goes. Keep off the ground, high and dry, and away from the critters. Made with Hydra-Shied™ 100% cotton duck canvas that is durable, watertight, and breathable. Our unique clamp-on rail design offers an easy and secure set up. Features five windows with no-see-um mesh, for ventilation, light, and openness. Has a cab access window. You can run a power cord from your cab to power your appliances. Has sturdy shock-corded fiberglass poles and top-of-the line YKK zippers. Roomy 5 ft. interior ceiling height. Sets up with tailgate down for added space. Convenient gear pockets. Carry bag included.Kodiak Canvas Truck Bed Tent Features:Fits Full-Size Trucks (Short Bed) 5.5 to 6.8 ftFord F Series, Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra, Dodge Ram, Toyota Tundra, Nissan Titan• Keeps you off the ground, high and dry, and away from critters.• Pitch a tent anywhere your truck can go.SPECS:• Rugged 8.5 oz. 100% cotton duck canvas construction.• 5 windows provide excellent ventilation and openness.• Cab access window.• Tunnel shaped design maximizes interior space. Tall 5 ft. ceiling height.• Tailgate down design expands useable space.• Clamp-on rails easily mount on truck bed for secure fit.• Large D-shaped door with top rated YKK zippers.• Covered entry.• Two sewn-in gear pockets.• Carry Bag included.Net Weight: 28 lbs

Attached Files

#2 Guest_dan223_*

Guest_dan223_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:16 PM

I have a sport III Truck Tent that is similar to this but is nylon not canvas. In addition I have the Truck bedzzzz Air Mattres that fits the bed of my 08 Dodge like an OEM accessory and I have no complaints about either one. There is merit to their statement regarding the canvas. I am sure it is more durable then my nylon one as long as it can withstand the wind as good as the Sport III then its probably a good investment depending on how bulky it is. I like to use the truck tent for short one or two day trips when I dont want to take the time to load up the camper. I also throw the truck tent and mattress into my rig when I go on "one day" trips.... Never hurts to be prepaired in case I end up haveing to track early the next morning or just decide I want to spend the night and hunt again the next morning. If the Canvas version is really large when folded up I might hesitate since mine is half the size of a sleeping bag when packed and the mattress is smaller then that. they both fit under the back seat and stay there unless I need the space for something else. I have also decided to camp a little further down the road, because I want to hunt a different area the next day and I can travel on dirt roads with my tent set up no problem as long as I am mindful of tree branches and dont mind the funny looks. Sure beats the heck out of breaking down the entire camp. I have done this twice with no problem but I refrain when the roads are really dusty only when they are packed down good and never more then a couple miles.

#3 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:41 PM

I actually have a Sport III truck tent that I'm thinking about selling. It fits the standard 1/2 ton, 6.5 foot truck bed and has only been used 3 times before I sold my truck for my current love-my Jeep TJ. It worked really well out in the deserts even in 30mph winds-just face your truck into the wind and it works great.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#4 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:30 PM

Gotta photo of it? Is it camo or ??? color? How much? How fast can you drive w/ one of these things in the back? I will say the idea is intriguing.

#5 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:13 AM

why not just get a camper shell?

#6 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:38 AM

I made a truck tent out of a pipe frame and a tarp several years ago and it worked fine for a short stay in good weather. If you are camping in one spot but using your truck to hunt it is a PIA to put it up and take it down every day. It is even worse if it rains or snows because you can't travel with it up up very far or fast, have to watch the brush, and expose the gear you would normally leave in camp to the elelments. Also you have to deal with putting away and putting up a wet tent. I'm with PredatorMaster. Get on Craig's List and find a used camper shell. It may cost a few bucks more but you will be happy you spent the money in the long run.Dan
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

#7 Hookum

Hookum

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:I hunt biggame, upland, waterfowl and now varmits.
    Love the shooting sports. Rifle,pistol and shotgun. I fish both freshwater and salt.

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:44 AM

I agree, I think a shell is probably more versitile. It doubles as a dog kennel. More rugged and you don't have to tear it down if you have to travel in your truck. You can get them insulated with lights inside as well as power jacks. Mine has a gunbox built into it and when the weather gets real nasty it doesn't move. The only downside is if you use your truck bed alot for hauling. I bought a small utility trailer, problem solved when I need to move something big.
Take no guff, cut no slack, hookum, bookum and don't look back.

#8 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:23 AM

I made a truck tent out of a pipe frame and a tarp several years ago and it worked fine for a short stay in good weather. If you are camping in one spot but using your truck to hunt it is a PIA to put it up and take it down every day. It is even worse if it rains or snows because you can't travel with it up up very far or fast, have to watch the brush, and expose the gear you would normally leave in camp to the elelments. Also you have to deal with putting away and putting up a wet tent. I'm with PredatorMaster. Get on Craig's List and find a used camper shell. It may cost a few bucks more but you will be happy you spent the money in the long run.Dan

I did the exact same thing Dan. Some PVC that had screw fittings on the ends shaped in a typical long triangular fashion the length of the bed. And then draped a tarp over it and attached to the underside of the truck with bungees. Cheap, and works very well.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#9 Guest_dan223_*

Guest_dan223_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:56 AM

Gotta photo of it? Is it camo or ??? color? How much? How fast can you drive w/ one of these things in the back? I will say the idea is intriguing.

Like I said in my post when I did drive with it on it was very slowly (5 miles and hour or so) and only for several miles to another location I wanted to camp. I would not recommend driving any faster or further then that. use my quad to get around not my truck so I dont have to break down the tent it stays up until I am ready to head home.

#10 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:32 AM

I don't have a place to store a shell and because I use my truck often...a shell is a bigger PITA than a tent. I will likely only use the tent a few times a year so it is a convenient alternative...at least for me. I decided to get the heavier Kodiak model thinking it would hold up better in weather, is larger and seems sturdier...maybe I can drive 6MPH with it! LOL Also ordered a truckbedz expedition mattress...w/ delivery in 48 hrs I am ready for this weekend. :smiley_green_with_envy:

#11 Hookum

Hookum

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:I hunt biggame, upland, waterfowl and now varmits.
    Love the shooting sports. Rifle,pistol and shotgun. I fish both freshwater and salt.

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:02 PM

Your set then. Just don't forget your waders
Take no guff, cut no slack, hookum, bookum and don't look back.

#12 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:34 PM

Won't be needing any waders in Mojave this weekend...no rain and weather in the low to mid 90s. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#13 Guest_dan223_*

Guest_dan223_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:35 PM

I am interested in your thoughts on that tent it looks like it will either be a PITA or awesome. I hope it the later and you should like that mattress. I assume you have a battery or some other type of pump to blow it up its worth having. Good luck on your trip!!

#14 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:23 PM

Field report to follow. Yeah, the mattress comes with a 12V airpump and wedge shaped storage bag.

#15 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:12 PM

Here is what I used for 3 years hunting and camping out of in Utah. Camper shell $500 and a blow up matress.Attached File  truck__Small_.JPG   63.01KB   60 downloads

#16 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:35 PM

I would've sold it to you for $100 plus shipping but it seems that you bought something else. My truck tent is blue/tan in color. I don't believe there is a truck tent made that you can drive down the road with safely. They're all made for stationary set ups but they go up and come down in minutes. I hope you have a rain fly with your new one as it not only keeps the rain out but also gives you a little added warmth during the colder nights. I used a catalytic heater inside mine and kept pretty toasty.P.S. It doesn't look like the one in your photo, has a floor. Sport Truck III tents have floors.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#17 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:41 PM

I shot you a PM yesterday when I posted...I needed something immediately for Friday. (So I had to order and get it shipped today)Figure I can play with it the day before and make sure I can get it errr...uhhh, up. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users