Photo

Ive got a $1000 for a new rifle, and acces.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 seebass

seebass

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting, Arm Wrestling, Camping and Cooking

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

Here are a few I'm looking at, REM 700 vtr atacs camo for $670REM 700 vtr $760REM 700 sps varmint $530, sps tac $620. Those are a few for starters..... Help me, I'm struggling! I'm going next weekend, if I don't by online.... Anyone buy online?They are all in .223

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:40 PM

Wow, mostly personal taste isn't it? Get whatever one YOU like in other words.Ok, with that said, out of those choices you listed the sps is my pick. NOT the tactical either, as those are best left for the military IMO. Hey, you asked, right? Oh, & of course ALL predator rifles would come with 26" barrels if I was dictator, or ? LOL The down side is, by the time I would be finished with the sps, it would be well over $1,000. Can't help it, being a recovering Remmy junkie. Where's Grant when I need him? lolAnyway, doubt if you can go wrong with any of them, so Good Luck and Happy hunting

#3 seebass

seebass

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for the quick response! So is your choice the sps because its "bare" and loaded with upgrade capabilities? I'm not sure ill be doing much to whatever I get. 26" is a speed thing right? So with no upgrades would you stay standard sps?

#4 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

If you get the SPS Carlos, I sure hope it has a better action than mine. The one I have scratches the heck out of the brass, the cycling of the bolt feels gritty as well. And from lots of reports that I have read Lots of SPS's are this way. Maybe you will get lucky and get a smooth one? If you are intent on a Remington, Id look at an older one in good shape. Go try a few out. Cycle the bolt, and if you can tell them to cycle some rounds through as well. The feeding from the Magazine is very rough on Mine. Then try a Howa, Savage, Tikka,CZ action to compare how they feel. Good luck.
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.

#5 Robbie

Robbie

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

I'm looking to sell my vtr in 223. Put an add in classifieds, but so far no one is interested

#6 Tuolumne85

Tuolumne85

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

If your thinking of buying online I would look at buds gunshop I have bought two pistols and a shotgun from them they are a really good company and take care of you.

#7 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

The sps can be upgraded or used as is will be fine. And you are correct in that the 26" barrel is for speed (that I get high on/lol). Again, out of the limited choices you list, yes the sps would still be my personal choice.Grant is correct on the action be a bit "rough" compared to some of their other models, but that does not matter to me much. Accuracy and speed are my primary concerns, so the rough action may be more of personal like or dislike? Maybe?Good Luck

#8 Jeff213

Jeff213

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

Consider looking at the savage accutrigger models too. You will get superb accuracy at a low cost, leaving you enough room to get good optics too.

#9 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

I second Buds Guns.. But for the SPS? Try it before you Buy it.. :crazy:
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.

#10 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:35 PM

Hey Grant, always a great idea to try something out before buying, however, not sure what the concerns about the sps are?Reason I say that is, friends & I own at least 3 sps & they all shoot incredibly accurate. In fact Badcoyote's (upgraded) sps 223 with factory barrel is insanely accurate & I would put up against any custom barreled sporter/hunting rifle. I know of at least 1 of his targets with all 5 shots in a single 1/8" hole. I believe it was posted last year on here, but could be wrong on that.

#11 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

I'd save up and get a Remington 700 VSSF II with stainless steel fluted heavy barrel and HS Precision stock. The X-Mark Pro trigger would be fine for now but if you wanted to upgrade later, you could install a Jewell and drop the pull to 1 lb. or less. If I got an SPS, I'd get the SPS Varmint with 26" heavy, round barrel but change out the injection molded plastic stock to HS Precision or Bell & Carlson Medalist and free float the barrel. "The obvious place that Remington saved money was in the stock. It is an injection molded plastic stock like you would find on a low end Savage rifle. It is fairly flimsy and the fit and finish on it is pretty poor, especially where the recoil pad mates to the stock, as you can see in some of the pictures below. In all honesty though, the shape isn't too bad. The wide forend works well on sandbags. The pistol grip area is pretty thin and not nearly as comfortable as other tactical or varmint stocks, and the cheek piece area is thin also, but the semi Monte Carlo cheek piece does help support your cheek fairly well. The tactile feel has been aided in the gripping areas of the stock with some roughed up surface, and it does help. The stock does have two sling swivel studs on the forend which is a very common tactical setup, though I suspect it would be useful for varmint hunting as well. There are no pillars or bedding block of any sort, though one would not expect one on this stock or rifle with its price point. The single biggest problem with the stock, at least in my eyes, is that the barrel is not free floating. In reality, the injection molded stocks, even with the strengthening ribs inside, are just not strong enough to effectively free float a barrel (yes, I know Savage does it). The manufacturing tolerances and warping of the plastic are also additional problems when trying to free float the barrel. While these may be good reasons why the barrel on this rifle is not free floated, it does not mean that it is a good thing. I expect (and I tested it to find out for sure) that some additional accuracy could be achieved with a stock that had some good bedding, aluminum or glass, and a free floated barrel." http://www.snipercen...com/remspsv.htm

#12 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

I agree with Mike, on getting the SPS Varmint model... and is the one a couple friends and I have.

#13 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

don't get in to big a hurry, shop for some used, just bought a model 21 cooper for a 1000, may be 300 hundred rounds through it. have fun stephen

#14 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:20 AM

Hey Grant, always a great idea to try something out before buying, however, not sure what the concerns about the sps are?

He already told you what the problem is the action is rough.It sounds like your stuck on Remington being the best thing out there.The problem I see with them is they don't offer a adjustable trigger like other manufacturer's .You spend all this money on a rifle then on top of it have to go out and spend more money on a trigger job.

#15 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

I have a bunch of Rem 700 rifles but if I wanted to just buy a 223 Rem bolt action rifle and go hunting with it the way you bought it I would buy a Tikka T-3. The 1-8" twist that the Tikka's have will let you shoot more bullet weights also.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

The same thing goes for Savage as their .223's have 1 in 9 twist.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#17 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

He already told you what the problem is the action is rough.

No kidding? I meant if there were other issues that Grant had with the sps. I cannot recall seeing any scratched brass on 3 sps's friends & I shoot. Doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't do it, I just don't recall it is all. But I'm not always very observant either

It sounds like your stuck on Remington being the best thing out there.

Wow... You catch on quick! How many YEARS have I been saying that? Never mind, it's retorical question.

You spend all this money on a rifle then on top of it have to go out and spend more money on a trigger job.

Didn't know $530 was a LOT of money for a centerfire rifle. Oh well!SPS was just my opinion or choice of the 4 rifles Carlos was interested in. Good or bad (how my choice was)

#18 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

Buy a Rem then throw away everything but the action. Then have the action blueprinted/a new tigger/new custom barrel/new McMillian stock bedded and recoil pad/scope mount and rings with a good scope and you are ready to use it. You will need more than $1000.OR ----Buy a Tikka or Savage put a good scope on it and you are ready to go. You will spend $1000 or less.AND they will probably shoot just about the same. :sport037fn4:

#19 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

I sold my Rem700 that I had built up and bought 2 Tikka's. I am happy as a clam, had been doing some shooting around my property but finally got them to the range yesterday, and ran some lead through them, this 223 is amazing! Great accuracy, was sighted in after 2 shots! Easily sub moa, with cheap-o ammo. Gonna try loading up some v-max's and see what this thing can really do.

#20 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

Well, I have to confess, I like Tikkas and Savages too. Especially like my Tikka T-3 Lite in .223 Remington which is accurate as heck with 65 grain Sierra Gamekings. But I prefer the Rem 700's for heavy barreled varmint and tactical rifles.

#21 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

Buy a Rem then throw away everything but the action. Then have the action blueprinted/a new tigger/new custom barrel/new McMillian stock bedded and recoil pad/scope mount and rings with a good scope and you are ready to use it. You will need more than $1000.OR ----Buy a Tikka or Savage put a good scope on it and you are ready to go. You will spend $1000 or less.AND they will probably shoot just about the same. :rofl2:

:bleh[1]: smoke is going to come out of franks ears now ................

#22 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:35 AM

I don't own a Tikka but as I understand they are owned and built by Sako, who IMO make about the best production rifle going.If it is true (Tikka/Sako) you couldn't go wrong with a Tikka...or save up a few more dollars and buy a Sako.Not putting any of the other Mfg's down...I own a most of the mfgs offerings and like them all... but they do not compare to a Sako.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#23 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

:D smoke is going to come out of franks ears now

LOL... Yeah no kidding... Now I have to take my Remmingtons in for councling. Poor things!

#24 seebass

seebass

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

So I've narrowed it down to 2 rifles. The REM 700 sps varmint, or the savage 12 both in .223. I'm going on Saturday to feel how they cycle and feel. Why is the 9 twist better than the 12?

#25 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:40 AM

To stabilize the bigger grain bullets that's one reason some people like 1-8 or 1-9 twist rates .If you plan on shooting light bullets then the 1-12 would be ok .I

#26 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:33 AM

Your crazy for not looking at the tikka also, out of the box it's a far better rifle than the other 2, but you know what they say about opinions.

#27 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

I like my Rem. I really like my Savage. But My tikka is the cats meow. The Tikka is the best.

#28 seebass

seebass

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

Well I'm back from sportsmans warehouse.... They didn't have the viper in stock, Chris said they've been selling like hot cakes... I did however purchase a new gun! I wanted the sps varmint to use for both predator and varmint, I don't mind carrying a couple extra pounds with the 26" barrel... I shoot the 55g winchester supremes out of my .243, so with the 1:12 twist .223 I figured that's as heavy as I want to go anyways, possibly dropping to a 45g.So I with my wifes blessing I purchased the 700 VSF .223! The stainless fluted barrel is a beauty! She said "damn that's a lot better looking then that black one... You should get this one". I love my wife! Getting the vortex in a couple of minutes!! Man its a fun night!!

#29 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:28 AM

Outstanding, glad you got a VSF. They're great rifles and it will be a tack driver. Congratulations! Post some pictures when you get it.

#30 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:50 AM

SMART man, Carlos... And as Mike stated, that VSF will be a tack driver; and is an AWESOME looking rifle to boot... as your wife pointed out. Man, you are a fortunate man, with a good wife and finding that vsf, as I do not believe Remington makes that model any longer? Makes no sense either, but is typical of Remington. A friend of mine has that rifle & know you're gonna love yours. Plus it doesn't look like something that's made by Mattel either... Like certain other brands.Many, if not most folks think they are too heavy, but I (obviously / lol) don't. They are around 9.5 lbs naked, and approx 11.5 lbs fully scoped etc. With a sling that weight is easy to carry, plus just how far does one normally walk from the truck when predator hunting? And, you will find that they are much steadier on the shooting stix, making for a more relaible shot. So nope, other than that I do not like that rifle or caliber at all. LOL :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users