13 replies to this topic

#1 Benmar25

Benmar25

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:09 PM

I have just purchased a 25 cal Benjamin Marauder and want to hunt squirell. My question is what pellet would work the best and at what range could I expect a quick kill. It has all the factory settings.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

A domed pellet is the way to go. They are the most accurate and accuracy when it comes to small game is the important factor. As for accuracy for a quick kill it depends how well you can shoot.

#3 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:49 AM

The JSB King 25.4 domed is one of the best for the Marauder .25.

#4 Benmar25

Benmar25

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

Thanks for your reply. I have some of the JSB domed pellets and they shoot very well, about 5/8 inch group at 40 yds. off a rest. I was concerned if they would have enough energy left to do the job. Can I expect a quick kill with a head shot at 40 yds. with the JSB or should I use a heavier pellet. Would the eun jin 43.2 grain pellet be better for longer shots?

#5 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:My kids, shootin' stuff, hunting, hiking, scenic beaches, weather, running, imported beer, science, technology, fast cars, fast women, guns etc.

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

Can I expect a quick kill with a head shot at 40 yds. with the JSB or should I use a heavier pellet.

You should have no problem even taking a coyote with a headshot using a .25 cal Marauder at 40 yards lol. I have personally taken ground squirrels up to 120 yards with my .25 Marauder using JSB Kings.

Henry

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:12 AM

It might be a good idea to practice shooting offhand as what you can do off of a bench often doesn't translate into a real hunting situation.

#7 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

And the numbers support everything said. It takes about 5-6 FPE to kill a squirrel with a head shot instant kill. The BC starts dropping pretty fast as the pellet gets below 500 FPS at 120 yds. I never found the Eun Jins particularly accurate from a Marauder and I think 43 gr is too much pellet for the power level creating quite an arc during flight. Velocity is way down - maybe 675 FPS. My Marauder also shoots Predator pellets pretty accurately although not quite as good as JSB Kings. They tend to transfer energy to the target a bit faster and make for some interestingly loud impact noises. Their BC is also lower than the Kings.

JSB 25.4 gr
BC avg .032
MV 850

0 yds FPE 41
50 yds FPE 27
100 yds FPE 18
120 yds FPE 16

#8 Benmar25

Benmar25

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for the good advice and information. I will take my JSB and predator pellets and go hunting. This is a great fourm.

#9 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

The guys are right on... on all accounts. The JSB Kings are deadly accurate in the .25 cal Marauder. Some other pellets that are accurate as well are the H&N Baracuda pellets and the new H&N Baracuda Extreme hunting pellets seem to be accurate a pack a wallop. The JSB Kings seem to retain the best FPE (Foot Pounds of Energy) at longer distances which is great.

Which ever pellet you choose to use, be sure you know your limits when it comes to shooted offhand, on sticks or resting on a pack or bipod. Shooting offhand always requires more practice to be good at it.

#10 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:My kids, shootin' stuff, hunting, hiking, scenic beaches, weather, running, imported beer, science, technology, fast cars, fast women, guns etc.

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

It might be a good idea to practice shooting offhand as what you can do off of a bench often doesn't translate into a real hunting situation.

I have actually got my longest kill off hand shooting a feral pigeon at 129 yards, ground squirrel w/ shooting sticks 120 yards and another ground squirrel off my Caldwell stable table at 102 yards...what does that mean and this is using only airguns :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Henry

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

It means you were probably lucky.

#12 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

Here is a recent review showing the long range accuracy.

#13 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

It means you were probably lucky.

I'm sure luck has nothing to do with it, I practice a lot on ground squirrels. I'm going to go squirrel sniping this Sunday since the cooler weather will finally allow me too..... :g-hog-poppin-up-ani: :yahoo:

Henry

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

I shoot at least one of my pellet rifles almost everyday and all off hand. I have a 75yard range in the yard. So I have an idea about airgun accuracy. It just doesn't happen over night and most people don't get enough practice to consistently make long shots. Like the old saying, "practice makes perfect." When it comes to long shots I just don't recommend airgun shooters try those sorts of shots on game. But id you can do it that's great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users