Photo

Cut Shotgun shells Anyone ever try this?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

http://www.2ndamendm...t-arts-pt-1.htm
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#2 Loopdog

Loopdog

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting. Big Game Hunting and Upland Game

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

looks like a good project for this wknd....

#3 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

I've tried it before on a few different occasions. It works, but the hulls will contantly get hung up in the action.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

Do it all the time. And I only do it one at a time. Was out with two members from here just over two weeks ago and showed them how to do it for the first time. It's about the only thing factory shotgun ammo is good for anyway :D . We were shooting at stuffed animals at 30-40 yards that someone had left out there, absolutely tears them apart :D . It is all just in the name of fun, but really slows down the pace when the nephews are going through shotgun shells like no tomorrow :653: . The one piece wads work the best if you hold cut them between the gas seal and the shot cup. This also allows me to cut it entirely and still have it hold together. You can hold it up to the sun and see the wad and where to cut, at least in the lighter colored hulls.

#5 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

Thats called a poor mans slug.Lee

#6 True2ThySelf

True2ThySelf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

When I saw this post I defintely had to come in. Bisley introduced me to this two weeks ago and I was amazed that birdshot could be so lethal. I may be going out in a few weeks and taking the family and some family friends for some fun in the sun and may try this again.

Do it all the time. And I only do it one at a time. Was out with two members from here just over two weeks ago and showed them how to do it for the first time. It's about the only thing factory shotgun ammo is good for anyway :rofl2: . We were shooting at stuffed animals at 30-40 yards that someone had left out there, absolutely tears them apart :D . It is all just in the name of fun, but really slows down the pace when the nephews are going through shotgun shells like no tomorrow :) . The one piece wads work the best if you hold cut them between the gas seal and the shot cup. This also allows me to cut it entirely and still have it hold together. You can hold it up to the sun and see the wad and where to cut, at least in the lighter colored hulls.

#7 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

My great grandfather was known to have only owned a shotgun. He said "I cant understand why anyone would need anything more!" He could protect his family, hunt and slaughter livestock with it. Ill bet he used something simular! He died in 1946. I know he handloaded sluggs at least late in life because I have a slugg mould that was his. It dropps a 1oz cyl of lead thats flat on both the nose and heel. It must be sized for paper shells because its to large to fit into a plastic wad. Those cut shells would be most usefull if I were out with bird shot and saw an opertunity for a shot at larger game! Thanks DR

#8 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

Seems to me like the extra width of the hull would get stuck in the choke or the barrel somewhere, I'm not the most expirienced shooter and clearly it works but how exactly have you guys been doing this? Looks cheap and fun but also incredibly dangerous.

#9 Tuolumne85

Tuolumne85

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

The first time I ever saw someone ring a shell I was kinda nervous cause they did it out of a single shot 20. The shell is bigger than the end of the barrel, needless to say it worked. But I'd do at your own risk, it's fun and all but seems like it could be bad. I won't do it from my 835 cause of the ported barrel.

#10 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

When I saw this post I defintely had to come in. Bisley introduced me to this two weeks ago and I was amazed that birdshot could be so lethal. I may be going out in a few weeks and taking the family and some family friends for some fun in the sun and may try this again.

:roflmao3[1]: I wasn't go to implement you and your hanging around the wrong crowd, didn't want you to get a bad reputation :signs1242cn: . Yes it works, and yes I had a blast. The kid still talks about you guys and that trip :yahoo: . The 20ga Federal bulk rounds from Wally-World are the easiest to see through and have a one-piece wad ideal for this. However, the steel shot Winchester stuff has a two-piece wad that is a pain in the rear. Plus, I would rather compress lead than steel myself :smiley_kewlpics: .

Seems to me like the extra width of the hull would get stuck in the choke or the barrel somewhere, I'm not the most expirienced shooter and clearly it works but how exactly have you guys been doing this? Looks cheap and fun but also incredibly dangerous.

When you take into account that your store bought bulk (shotgun) ammo in 7-1/2 or 8 is moving no more than 1200fps and at under 10,000 psi, probably closer to 9,500psi, and a standard non-mag shotgun will take 2-3/4" LOADS UP TO 13,000psi without problems, you can see why even a lot of extra pressure don't hurt it. I have hand loads in 2-3/4" with 1-3/8oz and 1-1/2oz along with some 1-1/8oz loads (at almost 1,600fps) that are all within limits and make these seem like a BB gun. And besides all that, if it did compress too hard, it would simply push the crimp open and force the shot out before it got stuck in the barrel. 12ga, 20ga, single shot, pump, auto, I have shot them in all, with not one glitch. We do it all the time to slow down the pace a bit and just to be adult kids having fun. But if leery in the least bit, then definitely don't try it. Like I said, it is merely a novelty, and pretty much worthless (with all the other of today's load options) except for fun.

#11 Marlin55

Marlin55

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:57 AM

I always liked talking with the old timers of the Depression Era. As this trick shows, they had ways of doing more with less.
MEMBER OF THE CLUB TO REDUCE REDUNDANCY.

CLUB MEMBERS WORKING TO REDUCE REDUNDANCY!

#12 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

I won't do it from my 835 cause of the ported barrel.

My mossberg 500 is ported also what would this do to effect the shot?

#13 Tuolumne85

Tuolumne85

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

I don't know what it will do to be honest I guess I am afraid that it's gonna blow a bunch of crap out into my face or lose a lot of juice and stick in the choke. Probably nothing would be different but I don't wanna find out and feel dumb

#14 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

Ahhh, just wrap some duck tape around the porting on the barrel & giver her a whirl. :crazy: :signtripledogdare2wf: :D

#15 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:17 PM

:eck05: If you think about it for a second though, what difference does it make if the plastic wad which opens up to bore diameter as it leaves the barrel goes through the ports, or if the plastic hull that is compressed to bore diameter goes through the ports? Either way, just like the old Cut Compensator Poly Chokes, you just have to clean the accumulated plastic out of the ports every now and then.

#16 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

Hey Toulomne, your 835 has an oversized bore compared to most any other 12 ga. Mossberg uses roughly a 10 ga bore on their 835 and 935 shotguns. Your gun would probably actually shoot those cut shells (Okie slugs as my grandpa called them) even better than a standard slug due to the larger diameter. I wouldn't worry about the ports. The wad that normally goes past them is plastic just like the hull of a shell.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#17 Tuolumne85

Tuolumne85

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

Well you blew a bunch of holes in my theory so next time I go out I'll have to do it

#18 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

We used to demonstrate how to make a slug out of a regular shotgun round for the officers on our PD because we didn't issue slugs. You should see what one does to a car door at 20 yards. Got to load them one at a time because they tend to come apart in the magazine tube on pump guns.
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users