#1 dlburns

dlburns

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Flyfishing, Shooting, Fly Tying, Camping, Golf

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:26 PM

Just picked up my new Savage Axis XP 22-250 and want to get it set up for some predator action. I know I need to get some non lead bullets as I live in and will be hunting Condor country (what a joke).Any suggestion on where to buy here in the bay area, bulk would be great.I have been wanting to start loading my own and with the price of this stuff it may be time to start.ThanksDave

#2 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

What is the twist rate on your barrel? If it is 1-12" or 1-14" you may have to shoot the 35 to 40 gr lead free bullets made by Nosler and Hornady.I had a 1-8" twist barrel put on a 22-250 just so I could shoot the 55 gr lead free bullets.Inside the Condor zone with factory rifles, it takes a 243 Win with lead free bullets to get performance like you would with a 22-250 shooting lead bullets.I don't know squat about factory lead free ammo other than it is very exspensive.

#3 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

I have been wanting to start loading my own and with the price of this stuff it may be time to start.

One of the best moves you could make, you won't regret it. But the high prices should be coming down any day now, we were promised "cheap and abundant" lead-free ammo after all by a certain manufacturer. Still holding my breath........... :roflmao3[1]:

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:20 PM

Like bob stated it will depend on the rate of twist on your Savage. "IF" I remember right from the Savage I had, it is a 12" twist. But don't hold me to that! Anyway, go to the Midway website & check out Nosler's factory made ammo. My first lead free choices would be the same as bob's & that is Nosler's 35 & 40 gr bullets. They are approx $28.49 a box & are available... at least as I type this anyhow. lol Good Luck

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:22 PM

[quote]But the high prices should be coming down any day now[quote] :rolleyes:

#6 dlburns

dlburns

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Flyfishing, Shooting, Fly Tying, Camping, Golf

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

Guys,The twist is 1-12 and it's a 22" barrel.The factory tested it wit Federal V Shock 40 grain Nosler ballistic tip ammo at 10 ydsI just picked up 2 boxes of Remington Express 22-250 55 gr to take to the range tomorrow, @$23.99 a box at Big 5.Definitely going to look into starting to reload my own.Never done it before but at these prices it should pay for itself in a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users