• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:37 PM

My buddy Ken finally decided to make the move and have me help him build a hatch for his hunt rig. This Chevy 4 X 4 Suburban used to be his company car but now it has become his dedicated hunt rig. We decided to do the dirty deed this past Thanksgiving weekend and cut in a 36" X 36" roof hatch.The first thing we did was make the frame out of Oak and join all of the ends with mechanical fasteners and West System saturating marine epoxy. This is the same epoxy used to make boat hulls and it is incredible stuff. I have used it to build boats as well as make the hatch on my rig and it is a pleasure to work with. Once saturated, the wood becomes impervious to just about everything. Here is a photo of the basic hatch frame, before any of the rails have been installed.Posted ImageThe wood blocks on the corners are just to keep it off the carpeting until the corners cure.The next photo shows the gaping hole cut into the roof and the detail work being done to prep for the dry fit of the frame.Posted ImageNext, we have a photo of the frame sitting in place, through the big hole. It fit perfectly and from there we began the construction of the side rails and hatch top. More photos soon. The project is almost done now and I'll have to get more photos from Ken so I can post the progress.Posted ImageIn the next photo. the oak hatch frame has been coated with two coats of marine epoxy and now Ken is beginning to spray the finish coats of Pewter automotive paint on the exterior of the frame to match his car's color.Posted ImageThe next photo is similar but the two sections of the bi-fold hatch cover is getting an additional coat of marine epoxy after the inside handle fasteners have been attached and the countersunk holes have been plugged. The dark spots on the hatch cover are teak plugs that were used to hide the heads of the countersunk fasteners. Since the hatch is 36 X 36, making it a bifold design simplifies storage when the hatch is removed. Once the final coat of epoxy is cured and sanded fair, we will affix the piano hinge to the hatch cover and give it several coats of finish paint. Once all of the paint cures, we will insert the seals to make the hatch cover weather tight. Posted ImageThe project is coming along very well. All of the interior surfaces will be clear coat finished to let the natural beauty of the wood shine through. The last step will be fastening in the quick-release hatch dogs to hold the hatch in place.More photos to come as the job progresses.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,785 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:47 PM

Looking forward to seeing the next set of pictures. Lots of them!
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:52 AM

Cool. :rolleyes: .
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#4 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:08 PM

Cool, but what are you going to use a hatch for?

#5 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,785 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:29 PM

If you hunt in Arizona or Nevada you can hunt from the vehicle. Great place to stand and light up the countryside.
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#6 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:42 PM

If you hunt in Arizona or Nevada you can hunt from the vehicle. Great place to stand and light up the countryside.

Not really. California doesn't allow shooting from the truckArizona doesn't allow NIGHT hunting. PERIODNevada is a bit gray because their regs state that no weapon may be loaded in a vehicle, but the regs only mention game animals when it talks about shooting from the truck except for handicap persons. However in talking with the DFG in Nevada specifically about this issue, they have stated more than once that it is illegal to shoot coyotes at night from the truck.. Hunt at your own risk I guess.
Tim LewisFoxPro Prostaff

#7 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,785 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:28 PM

Wow, thanks for the clarification Tim. I was totally off base on this one. Sorry for the bad info folks.
Handmade Calls by Braz

#8 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:30 AM

Holy dog poop! I stand corrected on the Nevada issue too. I was under the impression that you could:* Legally light from a moving vehicle, through a hatch.* Take coyotes legally from the vehicle while stopped and off a road.Does anybody know when all of this changed?
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,161 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:45 AM

This is all I could locate in the file I keep on hunting at night. It is still current and if you had any other specific questions you could call the Nevada Department of Wildlife.http://www.ndow.org/...yote.shtm#night

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#10 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:51 AM

Don't let a little thing like legality of use hamper your posting of MORE PICS showing this build. I'm still interested. Ya got a hole in the vehicle either way, may as well finish it up!
Press Alt+F4, it's AWESOME!

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,161 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:59 AM

That's for sure Red. Don't say anything until it's finished. Besides he'd make you fix the hole and it's WAY big for a sunroof. :wacko:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#12 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:59 AM

Holy dog poop! I stand corrected on the Nevada issue too. I was under the impression that you could:* Legally light from a moving vehicle, through a hatch.* Take coyotes legally from the vehicle while stopped and off a road.Does anybody know when all of this changed?

Been that way for a long time. Doesn't mean you can't have a hatch on your rig though. They work well for lighting up stuff. The rail around the outside allows you to hold the light real steady and comfortable.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#13 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:05 PM

Not really. California doesn't allow shooting from the truckArizona doesn't allow NIGHT hunting. PERIODNevada is a bit gray because their regs state that no weapon may be loaded in a vehicle, but the regs only mention game animals when it talks about shooting from the truck except for handicap persons. However in talking with the DFG in Nevada specifically about this issue, they have stated more than once that it is illegal to shoot coyotes at night from the truck.. Hunt at your own risk I guess.

Yes and No, only certain Counties allow night hunting....Coyotes are a non game animal, so they really dont care how you take them.

#14 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:29 PM

Somebody needs to create a human brain interface that would enable you to insert a chip and automatically know all these ever changing regulations instantly.

#15 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:56 PM

Yes and No, only certain Counties allow night hunting....Coyotes are a non game animal, so they really dont care how you take them.

Absolutely and those counties that allow Night Hunting are in the post above from the link that John posted.As far as them not caring how you take them??? Again, I've questioned the NV DFG and I won't be doing it any time soon. But as always, others can do as they wish.The no shooting from the rig law is ridiculous no matter where you hunt.
Tim LewisFoxPro Prostaff

#16 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:01 AM

OK guys...I have added photos (and I will be adding more) to the original post. Ken lost his digital camera (hopefully it will turn up) with the good pics so the ones we just posted came from his cell phone. He is out of town on business until Friday and we will be working on it this weekend. The hatch frame will get fastened into the rig this weekend and it should all be coming together fast after painting the bifold hatch cover. Then, the re-trimming of the headliner to finish everything off. It is coming along very well and I am confident that the finished product will be really nice.

#17 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:08 AM

Can I use it when I go to Texas :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#18 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:54 AM

Ha! Only if you take us and think up some great excuses for work and home. I'd love to go to Texas an slam some predators.

#19 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:10 AM

OK, with the rains about to hit us, Ken and I will install the hatch frame and finish up the entire thing (with the exception of the interior trim, this Saturday morning. I'll be sure to take more photos and I'll post them for all to see. Four days of rain should make for a good leak check too.....LOL

#20 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:38 PM

Red, may I watch?

#21 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:20 PM

You should have called Jim. You would have been more than welcome to come over. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users