14 replies to this topic

#1 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 07:24 PM

I've been thinking about one of the GPS handheld units. I have GPS navigation on my phone and it works great in the city, but not out in the boonies. The hand sized units will work in the car, field or in the middle of no mans land if there is a reasonable view of the sky.These things work from satellites and once you make the purchase they're yours. Meaning no monthly fees. I love the idea of waypoints. You can bread crumb a specific trail and drive a hundreds of miles away and find your way back. Very cool. There are so many things these lil guys can do. By the next Cedarville trip I will have one, because I dont want to visit freaking Lovelock again :) Any opinions on a model or the GPS idea in general?
Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,148 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:09 PM

Mark,I have a Lowrance iFinder Hunt Plus Handheld GPS. I had one of Lowrance's first units and when it was stolen upgraded to the new unit. I can't say enough good things about them. I got hook on geocaching for a while. But I use the thing for lots of things. It's just nice to really know where you are and be able to get back. I take with me when I fish in the Delta as a backup. You never know when the fog will set in and stay all day.:) Or my boat unit should break down. ;) Plus it's great for taking along when I go with someone else to mark out their secret locations. ;) John

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:46 PM

Plus it's great for taking along when I go with someone else to mark out their secret locations. ;) John

Thats what Im talking about :) ;)

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,148 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:49 PM

Thats what Im talking about :) ;)

I hear ya brother! ;)

Time waits for no one--

#5 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:41 AM

I purchased the Lowrance iFinder Hunt Plus. It's geared toward the hunter with all sorts of features. Lowrance ElectronicsMap detail

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,148 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:02 PM

Good choice, I sure like mine! ;)

Time waits for no one--

#7 PAhunter290

PAhunter290

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:22 AM

I have a Garmin eTrex, and it works well. in and out of the bush.(the yellow $99 one)

#8 ForkedHorn

ForkedHorn

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:17 AM

REI offers a GPS class for about $10.00. they will go over features, uses etc. and help you to find which unit (that they sell) is best for you... but you don't have to buy one of course... I have wanted one for a while as well and would like to find one (if made?) that has updateable, downloadable maps, will have a cradle to use it in a vehicle, boat, quad etc... but will also pop out of the cradle for hand held use... I would like ability to have Mt. maps wit contour and elevation, trails etc., water ways with buoy markers, maybe even depths? and Street maps for when in the car... all of this in a rechargeable (std. alkaline back up capable) unit, small enough to take on a hunt, hike or back pack... anybody know if such a beast exists?thanks,P.S. you may want to keep the hunting thing under hat if you go to the REI class though? Just a thought?

#9 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 21 December 2005 - 10:18 AM

I've got a Garmin 60CS, I've been very happy with it and can do just about everything it seems...GPSMAP 60CS Features: -Electronic compass displays accurate heading while standing still -Barometric sensor with automatic pressure trend recording -Sunlight-readable display with 256-color transreflective TFT display (1.5" W x 2.2" H; 2.6" diagonally); color operating system with new look-and-feel - Faster processor, with auto routing, turn-by-turn directions, and audio alerts along city streets or trails when using MapSource? City Select? or 24K Topo software (optional software) - 56 MB of internal memory for storing map detail - Permanent user data storage - Each day?s best hunting and fishing times?along with sunrise/sunset times?on the integrated Outdoor Calendar - Special geocaching navigation mode - Geolocation games, such as Virtual Maze, Nibbons, Geko? Smak, Memory Race, and Gekoids - Fast map transfer, with support for both USB and serial port interfaces - Detailed basemap with general map data, including highways, major roads, river, lakes, and borders - Dedicated "mark", "page", "enter", "quit", "menu", "find", and "zoom out/in" buttons; four-position rocker pad - 2.4" x 6.1" x 1.3" (W x H x D) unit dimensions - Weighs 5.4 ounces (without batteries), 7.5 ounces (with batteries) - WAAS GPS receiver with accuracy to 10 feet in North America; built-in quad-helix antenna for better satellite reception - 20 hours of battery life under typical-use conditions (uses two "AA" batteries) - Multi-platform navigation for easy navigation in a car, in a boat, or on foot - Accepts data from MapSource products (City Select for driving, U.S. Topo and 24K Topo for hiking, Recreation Lakes for freshwater, and BlueChart? for saltwater applications) - Waterproof to IEC 60529 IPX7 standards (can be submerged in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes) - 50 reversible routes, 10,000 track points with TracBack? technology (navigate to any track point on the displayed map), and 1000 waypoints with additional graphical icons for location identification - Proximity alerts for anchor drag, arrival, off-course, proximity waypoint; built-in alarm clock - User-configurable track-line color, waypoint projection, display color scheme, large-numbers option, audio tones, and pages (turn on/off main pages or change the sequence in which they appear) - Elevation computer provides current elevation, ascent/descent rate, minimum and maximum elevation, total ascent and descent, average and maximum ascent and descent rate - Trip computer provides odometer, stopped time, moving average, overall average, total time, max speed, and more

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,148 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 12:30 PM

You probably need a backpack just to carry the operating manuel for that thing! :( I'd run the battery out just trying to remember how to use it. :)

Time waits for no one--

#11 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 21 December 2005 - 01:18 PM

Actually, its fairly simple especially since it has more dedicated buttons and easy to follow menus. I get a kick out of the geo location games. My neighbors must think I'm nuts walking around the street in circles...

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,148 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 02:43 PM

I know what you mean, my Lowrance is pretty easy to use because of the repetitive use. I know where every government survey marker is within a couple miles of my house. Even a few that were lost. Not really lost just not correctly positioned. :)

Time waits for no one--

#13 ForkedHorn

ForkedHorn

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 01:51 PM

So... If you don't mind my asking... what's the price tag for something like that?thanks,

#14 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 04:18 PM

I've got a Magellan and am pleased with it; this is my second so far.

#15 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:02 AM

So... If you don't mind my asking... what's the price tag for something like that?thanks,

The Garmin 60cs? It usually runs about $450-$500.I got a deal on mines where I got it for $380 plus Garmin had a $50 manufacturers rebate. So I got it for $330 :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users