37 replies to this topic

#1 Racink6

Racink6

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:27 PM

Well here she is my new hunt rig. A 92 4runner. I bought this back in April and sent it off to the shop a couple of weeks ago. Here is the before pic. I'll have the after pics and the specs on Monday after I pick it up and do some scouting on the way home.Attached File  1.jpg   23.35KB   17 downloads

#2 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:34 PM

Nice rig! All you need now is a slight lift, some offroad tires and a winch and you're set! I'd stay with tires that are the same size though so you don't have to re-gear it but a 1-2 inch lift so the more aggressive tires clear, would be a nice upgrade. Keep on wheelin'!!!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#3 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:21 PM

Nice, 4Runner has very good off-road capability even without the mod. I assume it's 4x4, got rear differential locker?

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,387 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:46 PM

Nice rig I can't wait to see the after pictures.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:18 PM

I've already nicknamed it.... The Red Dragon :harhar1[1]:

#6 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:23 PM

Fakawaee - I think I saw your totally cooooooooool rig is Lemon Grove, CA a while back....Am I dreaming...was that you sir?De - Za- Za -Vous? (that's French for I have been there before)Ok ...

#7 Racink6

Racink6

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:59 PM

Nice rig! All you need now is a slight lift, some offroad tires and a winch and you're set! I'd stay with tires that are the same size though so you don't have to re-gear it but a 1-2 inch lift so the more aggressive tires clear, would be a nice upgrade. Keep on wheelin'!!!

:harhar1[1]: 4" lift 33s for the tires. and a bunch of other stuff in the near future.

#8 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:17 PM

Fakawaee - I think I saw your totally cooooooooool rig is Lemon Grove, CA a while back....Am I dreaming...was that you sir?De - Za- Za -Vous? (that's French for I have been there before)Ok ...

That would be me! I live on the other side of Hwy 125. I usually pass thru Lemon Grove when the freeways are jacked up. One of my customers motorcycle shop, is also in Lemon Grove. :smiley_green_with_envy:
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#9 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:25 PM

:504: 4" lift 33s for the tires. and a bunch of other stuff in the near future.

Those are nice upgrades but make sure the gearing is correct and that you have plenty of room to suck those larger tires up into the wheel wells. Too many offroad shops don't do the homework needed and will usually sell some inexperienced/unknowing person whatever "looks good" on the street but won't work worth a darn offroad where it counts. Ever seen a Land Rover rock crawling? Those engineers knew what they were building when they made those things! I've had them tag along behind me on some knarly trails and come out with only a few brush scratches. Good luck with your 4X and make sure to post some picks! :smiley_green_with_envy:

#10 Barticus

Barticus

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Hogs, upland game, deern coyotes.

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:40 PM

Nice rig. Love those Toyota's.

#11 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:34 AM

I was looking at those before I bought my XJ and really liked them but wanted to have a 4X4 with a straight axle and didn't want to deal with a conversion. I agree with the gearing issue with 33s, I am running 31 right now and with 3 guys and gear I was not liking the performance up the grades so I geared down to handle 33s in case I want to run bigger tires later. A locker in the rear would be helpfull also depending on what you are planning on doing with it. Have fun with it, Ron

#12 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:02 AM

wanted to have a 4X4 with a straight axle and didn't want to deal with a conversion.

I am curious as to what you mean by that?Karl
Karl

#13 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:38 AM

Karl...I think what Jawbreaker means is no CV joints in the front end. I believe the Toy has independent suspension on the front end and that means CV joints for driving the front wheels. Jawbreaker prefers the straight axle front end.Very nice, 92 Toyota. I had a Toy just like that one and it was one of my favorite vehicles. Never a single problem with it. The only reason I sold it was because I needed more towing capacity at that time. Good luck with the new baby and we're all looking forward to the pics when she's ready for the coyote prom.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#14 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:01 AM

Karl...I think what Jawbreaker means is no CV joints in the front end. I believe the Toy has independent suspension on the front end and that means CV joints for driving the front wheels. Jawbreaker prefers the straight axle front end.Very nice, new Toyota. I had a Toy like that one and it was one of my favorite vehicles. Never a single problem with it. The only reason I sold it was because I needed more towing capacity at that time. Good luck with the new baby and we're all looking forward to the pics when she's ready for the coyote prom.

Ok that makes sense. :signgreatreport3kg: I have had a few early 80's Toys and was a bit confused to say the least. It is a nice rig you have there. I would not recommend a 4" lift. Stick with 1"-2" lift. 31's will work great for a hunting rig. 33's are a bit big and heavier to boot. The more unsprung weight you have the more breakage issues will come up. Not to mention altering the center of gravity by 4" has led to many a Toy on its side or worse. It is very important to keep the clean side up when out in the woods or deserts. Help is usually not close and can be very pricey!I used to go out in my stock 82 toy and I could go anywhere that my buddy could go in his GM with 36" tires and 6" lift. Good LuckKarl
Karl

#15 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:17 AM

karl, it sounds like he has already had the work done so a 4" lift is what he has. I somewhat agree with you about 31" being a good size for hunting, that is what I put on my jeep and I'm pretty happy with them BUT if you get 2 identical rigs and equip one with 31s and the other with 33s and both geared properly I will guarantee you that the rig with the 33s will be more capable on the trail. As for the straight axle, Red hit the nail on the head, you get a better ride on the road with IFS but I believe a straight axle is the better choice for durability. My brother had a tacoma with a 3" lift and ran 33s, his rig was very capable off road but he went through cv boots once a year and I didn't want to deal with that. Your 80s toyotas sported straight axles but 84/85 was the last year toyota put a straight axle in their vehicles except the land rovers.

#16 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:08 PM

I know a guy at work that has an older Toyota Land Cruiser. It is in incredible shape, has straight axles and it is his daily driver. He is ready to retire and I have been working him hard to sell me that sweetie. It kinda looks like my FSJ as far as body configuration goes. It is really cherry.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#17 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:58 PM

I was thinking about one of those also but it is a little bigger than what I wanted, I can take my jeep on most motorcycle trails and turn on a dime.

#18 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:54 PM

I have to say that my old FSJ has a very tight turning radius too. Not like your Jeep but probably real close.

#19 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:43 PM

jawbreaker,I had a brain fart about the cv's. That is why I asked. I am so used to solid axles. I thought he might be referring to the old wives tale about installing a ford 9" rear end. If we could take two rigs and build one with 33's in mind and build one with 31's I think it would be a wash. Just my opinion. I would love to test our theories but my funds for something like that are a little short!I have ran both on my 82 toy with a Keith Black buick v-6 and turbo 350, air lockers etc. I prefer the 31's for hunting. I have even ran 36's and 40's on a different rig and hated them. Looked good but no fun to drive. (Yes I have many extras). For awhile I had a lift on one that totaled 13".As far as turning radius, just use the e-brake! Turns on a dime!CA Desert Dog, my bro had a 72 land cruiser with 4" lift and 36's. That heavy beast would flat out wheel. Front drum brakes made for some interesting stops on the way home after a day of wheeling in Fla...He never got stuck with the 36's though. +1 for jawbreakers theory.One thing to remember about hunting is you find yourself out of the main stream and getting in and out is very important. Unless of course you like hiking on Sunday nights...Racink6, that 4runner should be great. Have fun!
Karl

#20 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:54 AM

I hear ya Karl. My old FSJ Jeep has brought me through some terrible territory and home again. I always say a silent prayer that I am not walking through the desert at night. Hunting coyotes is always an adventure and half the fun is exploring new trails and making a few new ones. :drinks:

#21 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:58 AM

Good job on picking a Toyota. :smiley_kewlpics: Out of all the vehicles I've owned, this is the only one that hasn't spent time in the shop. And it goes anywhere.Posted ImagePosted Image
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#22 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:23 PM

Nice rig Jeff

#23 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:23 PM

Jeff, that rig of yours hasn't been anywhere yet! I don't see any scratches or dents! I hope it's not a street queen! :smiley_kewlpics: ...... Just messin' with ya! Nice Toy!

#24 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:28 AM

Haha, look a little closer! There's even an authentic bullet hole to prove it's not a street queen. It's actually perma-scratched from all the brush and dented from a few trees and rocks on The trails. The sliders are well used as well. I swear I must have just washed it or something (about once a year, ha) when I took those pictures. They are kind of old pics too. I've made some minor additions since, like rear flood lights on the back of the rack and some horsepower adding Sacramento Skull Works stickers.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#25 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:50 AM

I was wondering if that was a bullet hole. My 99 Toyota Tacoma has a bullet hole in almost the exact same spot!

#26 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:40 PM

apologize for hijacking the thread, but since we're showing new hunting rigs...I just bought this yesterday - 2010 F-250 Super Duty. I almost went for the 2011 with the 6.7L , but decided on this one. A major franchise sports player had this for two months and after he moved he couldn't find parking in the garage. so he traded this for a non-lifted 2011. Only had 1,000 miles on it when I bought it and for $14k less than the 2011....Attached File  1.jpg   27.55KB   16 downloads
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#27 Racink6

Racink6

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:31 PM

Well here it is. I took it out on some trails on the way home and it handled pretty well. Next is gearing, lockers, roof rack and bumbers/winch. Hopefully I'll get those done in August. All the work will be done by SMP fabworks in Slymar and Off Road Evolution in Fullerton.Attached File  1.jpg   25.94KB   15 downloads

#28 Racink6

Racink6

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

Pic 2Attached File  2.jpg   25.97KB   15 downloads

#29 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:37 PM

HOLY COW MAC I love your truck.... dont mind me drooling IM going thru withdrawals LOL And RacinK That looks like it will do a nice job for you :signs684mh: It totaly looks different! great job on fixing it up all cute
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#30 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:25 PM

Looks awesome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users