36 replies to this topic

#1 stevowpappas

stevowpappas

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:38 PM

ive got a bunch of quail in the freezer i need to cook. What do you guys think is the best way to cook it?

#2 Gunner

Gunner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:00 AM

I like to put them in the crock pot and make Quail and dumplings.

#3 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:53 PM

I like to do pheasants and quail the same way. Throw 'em in the crock pot with a bottle of italian salad dressing.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#4 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Sporting Clays.

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:17 PM

ive got a bunch of quail in the freezer i need to cook. What do you guys think is the best way to cook it?

stevowpappas,It seems like you've had a successful hunting season...posting the unidentified ducks and now sharing you have a freezer full of Quail to cook. I don't know where you live, but one minute from Waterfowl and obviously Quail not too far...it sounds like heaven.If I were you I'd get on Amazon.com and order a couple books. The Complete Hunter "Dressing & Cooking Wild Game"The Complete Hunter "America's Favorite Wild Game Recipes"The books are 21.95 at Borders or Barnes and Noble, but I picked them up for $5 a piece on Amazon and they were both brand new. I've tried a few of the 200+ recipes in the two books and they're quite good. You don't have to be Martha Stewart to pull them off. :lol: Also, take a look at the "Field Guide to Upland Birds and Waterfowl" by Christoper Smith. This is hands down the best Waterfowl and Upland bird identification book I've ever seen. It sells for 19.95 and I bought it for 3.99 on Amazon.Good luck with the cooking and keep shooting,S&S
"Would you vote for a woman as unqualified as Barack Obama?" -Hillary Clinton-"The best thing about the cash for clunkers program was it got thousands of the Obama stickers off the streets.""Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of congress. But I repeat myself." -Mark Twain-

#5 stevowpappas

stevowpappas

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:56 PM

stevowpappas,It seems like you've had a successful hunting season...posting the unidentified ducks and now sharing you have a freezer full of Quail to cook. I don't know where you live, but one minute from Waterfowl and obviously Quail not too far...it sounds like heaven.

Siskiyou County! Its cold and nasty right now. Hunting is about the only thing to look forward to.

#6 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Sporting Clays.

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:56 AM

stevowpappas,Did you end up cooking up any of the quail?Did you use the crock pot method or go with a different recipe?S&S
"Would you vote for a woman as unqualified as Barack Obama?" -Hillary Clinton-"The best thing about the cash for clunkers program was it got thousands of the Obama stickers off the streets.""Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of congress. But I repeat myself." -Mark Twain-

#7 Jared Plumlee

Jared Plumlee

Varmint Hunter

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:29 PM

Well my favorite way is to just roll em in flour and fry them but that gets old after awhile...i have prepared them as follows and they were really good.first salt and pepper them fairly generously..then get u pot or some sort of marination vessel.get some regular ol kraft bbq sauce and add generous amounts of salt pepper and garlic salt...then thin the mixture with milk...add some el tapitio hot sauce and poor the marinade onto the quail and let them soak for a good while...overnight preferably...then fire up the BBQ and BBQ them on the grill and baste them with the remants of the marinade until they are done...the few times i have done it they were very tastey...

#8 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:47 PM

I season with season salt, pepper, garlic seasoning, stuff them with a little wild rice, wrap a piece of bacon around them lay them in a lasanga pan, and bake them til done at 350. You can take the left over rice and fill in any space between the quail. I usually cam them in their pretty good so dont have much space left over LOL.. Also quail k bobs in the rhotisseri (sp) is also good.. Season with whatever you like and basically cook til done. Key is you MUST wrap them with bacon or something simular as they will dry out...
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#9 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 21 December 2007 - 02:10 PM

Take the breasts and bbq them on the grill, baste often with garlic butter. Doves are good that way too.Dan
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

#10 meangreen75

meangreen75

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Dirtbiking, and Flying

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:42 PM

Last year I found the my favorite way of cooking them. I had shot a bunch of Blue Quail out in NM and put about 5 breasts on a skewer. I put 3 skewers in a deep glass dish and filled it with Kraft Zesty Italian dressing. I left them in the fridge over night and put them on the BBQ'r the next day. They were outstanding. I had everyone over at my house for the Superbowl that day and even the ladies were diggin' into them.Doug

#11 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:23 AM

Marinate in teriyaki and orange juice then BBQ. Really tasty as long as you don't overcook the bird.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#12 Big Ty

Big Ty

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, dirtbike riding, horses, sports in general, the outdoors, etc...

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:56 PM

Quail in the oven. Clean the birds and drizzle them with butter. Just go basic, salt, black pepper and ground sage. One hour and ten minutes at 350 degrees in a pyrex dish covered with foil. Remove foil and brown about 5-6 minutes. Another way to do it is to put over a mini apple juice or orange juice can(half empty with slots cut in the top) and cook in the oven or on the grill. It's just a mini version of beer can chicken. You can use the small cans of juice for the little birds. Just put your spices on the outside and stand the bird up on the can. It's pretty easy and tastes great. Good luck. Beer works well too but the little cans are for wussies. Ha Ha.

#13 sum-rifle

sum-rifle

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:34 AM

Quail in the oven. Clean the birds and drizzle them with butter. Just go basic, salt, black pepper and ground sage. One hour and ten minutes at 350 degrees in a pyrex dish covered with foil. Remove foil and brown about 5-6 minutes.

Best Quail I ever had was the simple butter, salt and pepper method. But I think it was more like 10-15 minutes in a 350 degree oven. 70 minutes seems WAAAAAAYYYYYYYY too long. Are you sure about the time? Quail are small and do not take long to cook.
Hunt with your kids not for them.

#14 fishandhunt4ever

fishandhunt4ever

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Interests:I really love hunting and fishing. I am looking forward to making friends from this web community and share information that can be helpful.

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:28 PM

I like to rub them with the McCormicks dry chicken rub and grill them. Right before they are done brush them with teriyaki sauce. Different, but really good.

#15 Big Ty

Big Ty

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, dirtbike riding, horses, sports in general, the outdoors, etc...

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:20 PM

Best Quail I ever had was the simple butter, salt and pepper method. But I think it was more like 10-15 minutes in a 350 degree oven. 70 minutes seems WAAAAAAYYYYYYYY too long. Are you sure about the time? Quail are small and do not take long to cook.

I'm talking about whole birds not just the breasts. When you cover them with foil and cook them in butter they don't dry out so bad. I've done this with chukkar. They are usually a little bit bigger where we are. You may have to adjust the time for you oven or size of bird.

#16 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:30 PM

Also, if you put the breast down, the juices will run towards the breast, helping to keep it moist.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#17 sum-rifle

sum-rifle

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:33 PM

I was talking about whole Quail also. I still think 70 minutes is way to long. 15 minutes at 350 degrees seems about right. Does anyone agree or disagree?????????????
Hunt with your kids not for them.

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,349 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:36 PM

Yes it seems long to me too. 20 minutes max covered with foil at 350 works for me.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#19 Big Ty

Big Ty

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:01 AM

Put them in any time you want but the recipe is good. There are you all happy? I know you can't quibble over my salmon recipe on the other post about how to grill salmon. Try that one and you may like it. Maybe my time is off on quail but I don't cook quail. I said that in the other post. Try it with cornish game hens of chicken or whatever you like but it tastes downright tasty. Good luck. You really should check out my salmon recipe.

#20 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,349 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:10 AM

:wacko:

Time waits for no one--

#21 Big Ty

Big Ty

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:36 PM

:D

You like that huh shooter jon?

#22 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,349 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:38 PM

Whatever works is my motto. :D

Time waits for no one--

#23 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:38 PM

Creamed Quail Casserole recipe Ingredients:8 quail breasts.1 teaspoon of butter.1 can (16 oz) of cream of chicken soup.1 tablespoon of butter.Salt and black pepper, to taste.¼ cup of milk.¼ cup of mushrooms, thinly sliced.Directions:Brush the quail breasts with a small amount of butter and brown in a casserole in hot oven.Cream together the soup, butter, seasonings and milk. Pour over browned quail breasts.Sprinkle with the thinly sliced mushrooms.Cover and bake at 300°F (150°C) for 50-55 minutes.

#24 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:39 PM

Crockpot Quail recipe Ingredients:8 quail, cut up.1 cup of flour.½ cup of peanut oil.2 cans of cream of chicken soup.2 cans of cream of celery soup.2 cans of chicken broth.½ cup of dry white wine.2 white onions, thinly sliced.2 bay leaves.1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese.Rice or noodles, cooked, to serve with.Directions:Rinse the quail and pat dry inside and out. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Coat with flour.In a skillet, brown in hot peanut oil.Combine the quail with the soups, broth, wine, sliced onions, and bay leaves in a crock pot and cook on HIGH for 4 hours and then reduce heat to LOW for 7-8 hours or until the quail are tender.Remove the bay leaves add the cheese and cook for 30 minutes more.Serve over rice or noodles.

#25 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:40 PM

Jalapeño-Mustard Quail recipe Ingredients:8 quails (about 4-5 oz each).1 tablespoon of olive oil.1 tablespoon of butter.½ cup of hot jalapeño jelly.½ tablespoon of Dijon mustard.2 tablespoons of vinegar.Salt and freshly-ground black pepper.Directions:Rinse the quail and pat dry.In a 12-inch ovenproof frying pan, combine the olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Once the fat is hot, add the quail, and turn as needed to brown the birds evenly, (about 7-8 minutes each). As each quail is browned, set aside to make room for more.Once the quail are browned, discard the fat, saving any browned drippings. To empty the pan add the jalapeño jelly, Dijon mustard, and vinegar and stir until jelly melts, then bring to a rolling boil over high heat.Drain any accumulated juices from the quail into pan and stir to mix. Remove from the heat, add the quail, and coat each well with the jalapeño jelly mixture. Arrange quail, breasts up, together in pan.Bake in a 450°F (230°C) oven, basting several times with jelly mixture, until the quail are browned a little more, about 15 minutes. Breasts may still be pink at breastbone.Season with salt and freshly-ground black pepper and serve with pan juices.

#26 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:41 PM

Quail in Sauternes recipe Ingredients:4 quail, about ¾ lb each.¾ cup of butter, melted.Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.3 tablespoons of flour.1 can (10-½ ounces) of condensed chicken broth.¾ cup of water.½ cup of Sauternes.Dash of cayenne.Directions:Split each quail down center breast and open flat.Brush lightly with some of the melted butter.Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides.Broil the quail for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown on both sides.Pour the remaining butter into a skillet.Stir in the flour, then gradually stir in the chicken broth, water and Sauternes.Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce bubbles and thickens.Add the cayenne and broiled quail.Simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until quail are tender.

#27 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:42 PM

Quail Stuffed with Wild Mushrooms recipe Ingredients:4 large quail.1 tablespoon of olive oil.2 onions, diced.2 cups of breadcrumbs.2 cups of wild mushrooms, sliced.Salt and freshly-ground black pepper.2 tablespoons of thyme, chopped.2 tablespoons of parsley, chopped.½ cup of clarified butter.Directions:Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).Debone the quail from the back, leaving the bird whole.In a heavy-bottomed frying pan, heat the olive oil over a medium heat.Add the onion and cook until caramelized and brown (about 15 minutes).Add the sliced mushrooms and cook for 1 minute.Remove the pan from the heat and add the to the breadcrumbs.Season to taste with salt and black pepper.Lay the birds out flat and divide the stuffing equally between the 4 quail, putting the mixture in the middle of the flattened bird. Repeat with the chopped herbs.Re-form the quail to their original shape, then place them in a tin foil nest and brush with clarified butter.Place the quail in the oven to roast for 20 minutes.Remove from the oven.Serve.

#28 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:43 PM

Simple Baked Quail recipe Ingredients:8 quail.Salt and black pepper.1 stick of butter or margarine.1 ½ cups of flour.1 cup of water.Directions:Season each quail with salt and pepper.Put in paper sack with flour and toss to coat.Butter the bottom of an iron skillet or Dutch oven, then place the quail in the skillet.Pour melted butter (or margarine) over the quail, making sure it covers each one.Pour water in the bottom of the skillet and place lid on top.Cook at 300°F (150°C) for about 2 hours 30 minutes, adding more water if needed.Use water drippings to make gravy.

#29 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:44 PM

Smothered Quail recipe Ingredients:6 quail.6 tablespoons of butter.3 tablespoons of flour.2 cups of chicken broth.½ cup of sherry.Salt and black pepper, to taste.Rice, cooked, to serve with.Directions:In a heavy skillet, brown quail in the butter.Remove to baking dish.Add the flour to skillet and stir thoroughly.Gradually add the broth, sherry, salt and black pepper. Blend and pour over the quail.Cover the baking dish and bake at 325°F (160°C) for 1 hour and 15 minutes.Serve with rice.

#30 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:47 PM

Baked Quail with Mushrooms 1/3 c All-purpose flour 1 ts Salt 1/2 ts Pepper 6 Quail; cleaned 2 tb Butter 1/2 lb Fresh mushrooms; sliced 1/2 c Butter 1/4 c Plus 1 tbsp all-purpose flour 2 c Chicken broth 1/2 c Sherry Hot cooked rice Combine 1/3 cup flour, salt, and pepper. Dredge quail in flour mixture, and set aside. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet; add mushrooms, and sauté 4 minutes. Remove mushrooms from skillet; set aside. Melt 1/2 cup butter in skillet; brown quail on both sides. Remove quail to a 1-1/2 quart casserole. Add 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour to drippings in skillet; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add chicken broth and sherry; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until gravy is thickened and bubbly. Stir in mushrooms. Pour mushroom gravy over quail. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour. Serve over rice. Yield: 6 servings. Becsinalt Fogolyleves (Quail Soup)3 Quail 1 tb Butter, unsalted 1 tb Lard 2 Carrots; sliced 1 sm Onions; sliced 1 c Peas; shelled 4 Mushroom caps; sliced Boletus if possible 2 tb Flour, all-purpose 1 ts Parsley, flat; chopped 1 pn Salt 6 c Stock, meat 1/4 c Sour cream Clean quail and cut into serving pieces. Melt butter and lard in soup pot. Brown quail very rapidly for a few minutes; then add vegetables, mushrooms and 1/2 cup water. Cook slowly, uncovered, until water almost disappears. By this time, quail should be quite done. Add flour, parsley and salt; stir well. Add meat stock; bring to a boil. Cook over very low heat for a few more minutes. Just before serving, mix in the sour cream. Serve liver dumplings or marrow dumpling in the soup. Brunch Quails 4 Quails Salt and pepper Flour 1/4 c Butter 1/2 c Water 6 Mushrooms; sliced 2 tb Parsley; chopped 4 sl Toast; buttered, or trenchers (see Note) Sprinkle quails inside and out with salt, pepper, and flour. Melt butter in a skillet; add quails and brown on all sides. Add water and mushrooms. Cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes. Add parsley, cover, and cook 10 minutes longer, or until tender. Serve on buttered toast or trenchers with mushroom sauce from pan. Applesauce is a good accompaniment. Note: To make trenchers, cut Italian bread into 2-inch-thick slices, or cut large rolls into halves, selecting bread or rolls slightly larger in size than a quail. Scoop center from each to make a cup to hold the bird. Butter and toast lightly. Brunswick Stew with Quail 8 Quail* -- dressed & split 3 Squirrels -- dressed & quartered Flour 6 tb Butter 1 c Chopped Scallions 4 md Potatoes -- thinly sliced 2 c Lima Beans 3 c Okra -- sliced across 1 c Canned Tomatoes 1 Bay Leaf 2 tb Chopped Parsley 1 1/2 ts Salt 2 c Fresh Corn Kernels -- **see note* May substitute 1/2 chicken. **Add corn during last 10 minutes. Flour the quail and squirrels lightly and brown them in butter; place in a large pot and cover with water. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Then add the rest of the ingredients, except the corn, and enough water to again cover. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, stirring often to prevent sticking to the bottom. Add the corn and simmer 10 minutes more. Serve in a flat soup plate. Country Style Quail 30 Quail breasts 1 lb Bacon 1 md Onion, thinly sliced 3 Egg yolks 2 c Half and half1 ts Sweet Hungarian paprikaSalt and pepperIn a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Place sliced onion and quail in the skillet and brown in the bacon fat. Salt and pepper the birds. Remove birds and onions from skillet and place in a warm oven (150-200F). Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of bacon fat. Mix the egg yolks and the half and half. Add mixture to the bacon fat in the skillet and cook over low heat just to thicken, stirring constantly. Do not boil. Stir in paprika and serve sauce with quail and fried potatoes. Fried Quail Quail1/2 c Vinegar to 1 gallon waterSalt and pepperFlour for dredgingHot fat1 c ;Hot water Place cleaned quail in solution of cold water and vinegar, using 1/2 c. vinegar to 1 gallon water. Let stand several hours; wash through cold water several times and dry thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper and roll in flour. Fry in deep, hot fat until well browned on all sides. Add 1 c. hot water slowly, cover; simmer over low heat for 1 hour or until pan is dry. Increase heat; cook until quail is crisp. Joe Mahma Quail 20 Quail breastsItalian dressingShake'n Bake for chickenLemon pepperSoak quail in Italian dressing for 20 minutes. Coat each bird with Shake'n Bake and place on cookie sheet. Sprinkle with lemon pepper. Bake 350F for 40 minutes.this would be my favorite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users