18 replies to this topic

#1 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:34 PM

I'm picking up my Ruger 5.5" Super Blackhawk tomorrow. Any suggestions for a hunting load? I see everything from 200gr to 320gr...what's a good size for hog hunting? It will primarily be a back up gun but if I'm close enuf I'd love to take a hog with a revolver.Let me know what you like to use when hunting with a 44...ThanksPS
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#2 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:44 PM

I use a max load of H110 behind a 240 or 300 gr. Hornady XTP bullet per the Hodgdon or Hornady book. Hold on tight !!!

#3 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:49 PM

I"m on Midway right now and just read the info on Hornady's website. I've got the 300's on my shopping cart as I write. What do you suggest for a target round? Do you practice with the same as you hunt with?

#4 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:02 PM

I used my 7.5" barreled Super Blackhawk for whitetails in South Carolina for a couple of seasons (8 or 9 deer) and used the Hornady 240 grain softpoint with W296.When I went to Alaska a couple of times I loaded the 300 grain Hornady soft points (I don't think that they make it anymore) with a full charge of W296 but they are not for practice. Your wrist will feel it after a couple of cylinders full.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#5 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:28 PM

I like the 270gr speer gold dot factory ammo after my experience with this hog. The first shot was a double lung shot from about 10ft which was a killer although this boar took awhile to realize it. As he bolted off, I unloaded on him, firing the remaining shots within about 50 yards. Positive proof of devestating penetration was one of my shots that travelled length-wise through this 220Lb hog, entering about 1" from his a** and lodging into his skull. He expired shortly thereafter...I guess I didn't have to unload, but hey, I certainly didn't want him getting away...Posted ImagePS. Gutting and Skinning a big hog is a real mess! You should have seen me after the skinning was complete... :)

#6 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:13 AM

loader, you aint kiddin' about the mess. Especially if you gut shoot em. Smells soooo good. Nice lookin piggy.I went ahead and ordered the 240gr Hornady's for starters. I'm gonna hold off on non-lead reloading for the pistol for now. If I need to I'll pick up a box of loaded federals to take into condor country.I'll let you know how things go when I get em from midway.

#7 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:37 AM

I"m on Midway right now and just read the info on Hornady's website. I've got the 300's on my shopping cart as I write. What do you suggest for a target round? Do you practice with the same as you hunt with?

For practice I use a 240 gr. semi-wadcutter from "LaserCast" bullets. I think Cabela's still sells them. If not, they have their own website. I also shoot 44 special handloads which are much nicer to shoot.

#8 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:06 PM

the amazing thing about this hog - even though he got the texas heart shot after the double lunger, his guts were intact and they all came out in one clean yank. It appeared the bullet traveled just under the spine all the way up through the body & neck. It was very interesting, although my buddies were'nt as interested in the post-mortem inspection as I was. Hog fat has a way of not washing out of clothes, gear or even skin. I don't know what it is. I always thought a big hog was the stinkiest animal to clean, until I shot my first badger last fall while deer hunting in NV. That badger was rank!

#9 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:58 PM

deleted
The old calibers and guns got the job doneKeep reloading-We may need it

#10 woodsman44

woodsman44

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:09 PM

For hogs and back-up I would go with the hornady 300gr. XTP hollow points, will open-up and make big hole , but still have good penetration and weight retention being a 300gr. bullet.And yes, practice with the bullets you choose so you can become familiar with were that load shoots, and get used to the recoil(not all that bad) so you will be good and ready when hunting.

#11 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:33 PM

+1 on that !
The old calibers and guns got the job doneKeep reloading-We may need it

#12 GoldBarron

GoldBarron

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 01:01 PM

I have 44 mag in both Ruger Super Blackhawk and 1894 Marlin rifle. I was wondering if the same hunting ammo would be recomended for both or if different loads would be better? I plan to use them both for hogs, bear, and deer. I do live in the condor area.

#13 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:50 PM

use the same loads in both, unless you can't get them to shoot accurately.

#14 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:24 AM

My fav 44mag load is a Nosler or Hornady 200gr HP with a max load of H-110. I have used this for everything from ground squirrels to deer and pigs. However for pigs I think the nosler 250gr PAR bullet would be a better choice with a max load of H-110. Then if you are in a lead free area the the barnes 200gr HP bullet with a max load of H-110 would be great. I have used this load on large deer and all were one shot drop where they stood shots. It is a great bullet(but not cheap). It is the same bullet as their muzzle loader bullet but has a crimping groove. Since the pistol will be about the same muzzle speed as the black powder rifles it will work great. A barnes bullet will act like a reg bullet that is 30% heavier so the 200gr bullet will preform like a normal jacketed bullet of about 240grs.

#15 BDOG

BDOG

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:36 PM

I'll be different. I like a 180 jhp with a healthy dose of H110. This combo worked on bear much better than the 300 jsp Wear ear pugs and hang on

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,385 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:25 PM

My favorite .44 mag load were my cast 250 grain Keith bullets in front of a charge of 2400. Great penetration with those bullets. I once felled a tree with it shooting at the trunk until it toppled.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#17 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:00 PM

I'll be different. I like a 180 jhp with a healthy dose of H110. This combo worked on bear much better than the 300 jsp Wear ear pugs and hang on

+1 on the 180's kills hogs and bears dead right now. Accurate to 100 yds with me behind them. Does not go all the way through and kill dog on other side. With that said most of my shots were less than 25 feet, and I was makeing head and spine shots. The best shot I have ever found to use on a hog that was caught was right through the spine between front shoulders. Breaks back and paralizes pig, takes out one shoulder or the other and dogs are safe. Bears you have to shoot in the head or dogs will get hurt sooner or later.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#18 Dmbrown34

Dmbrown34

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:14 PM

For practice I use a 240 gr. semi-wadcutter from "LaserCast" bullets. I think Cabela's still sells them. If not, they have their own website. I also shoot 44 special handloads which are much nicer to shoot.

+1 for the 44 specials to practice. No since in developing a flinch b/c you practice with a hand cannon. The kick between the two is night and day. I like to have mostly specials with one or two mags in the cylinder for practice. It works for me, but others think its weird.Also, larger grain bullets are typically used for larger game. However, nothing is better than a well placed shot.

#19 SoCal Hunter1

SoCal Hunter1

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:48 AM

I like the Hornady lever action rounds the revolution or leverution or whatever they are called, but I've used the 240 and they have been great and effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users