12 replies to this topic

#1 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

So I'm gonna be putting a 325 wsm in jail this weekend.

Needing to put some new optics on it when it gets out .

Looking for any input or ideas from everyone here . . . . .

#2 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

What rifle? Hunting and/or Target shooting? What distances will you be shooting? Whats your Budget?
Hic Ego Statio

#3 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

My guess that a 8mm mag will be used for hunting. That is what it is best suited for. Because of this I suggest a Leupold 3X9X40 or, if you have the money, a Leupold 3.5X10X40. Also do not forget a good set of low rings to keep the scope as close to the barrel/action as possible for a better cheek weldment when shooting.

Get a good sling and forget the flip-up scope caps that will sooner or later cost you a shot at an animal. I also like the butstock slip-on 10 round looped ammo holder. Then you will be good and probably over-gunned for most hunting you will do.

#4 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

Winchester model 70 , hunting rifle , 0-800 yrds budget kinds wide open this is a rifle I'm gonna hold on to and pass down . . . . .

#5 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,709 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

800 yards? I can't see that far, even with a scope.
Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#6 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:27 AM

yes 800 yrds , hunting from a wheelchair I want to know if I have a good shoot on . . . . . whatever I am out after it will go down .

don't wan tobe beating the brush looking for a blood trail . . . . . .

#7 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:45 AM

Look into US Optics. I would suggest their 1.8-10x or 3.2-17x. What kind of reticle do you like? Mils or MOA? Do you want to Dial your turrets or use the reticle to hold-over? Or have the option to do both?
They have their base model scopes, but they can be customized however you like. I dont normally suggest them to hunters because they are heavy, but that may not be an issue for you. Some hunters are turned off by the "Tactical" type scopes, but when you get out that far, the classic style scopes just dont cut it.
There are a lot of less expensive options out there, but USO's are made right here in Orange County.
Hic Ego Statio

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,321 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:59 AM

USO's are made right here in Orange County.

I'm pretty sure Dave knows someone who works there. ;)

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#9 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

yes 800 yrds , hunting from a wheelchair I want to know if I have a good shoot on . . . . . whatever I am out after it will go down .

don't wan tobe beating the brush looking for a blood trail . . . . . .

Yikes! I think that if I were confined to a wheel chair I would limit my shots to about half that distance to make extra sure that I wouldn't have to track an animal that got hit poorly.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#10 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:19 PM

Yikes! I think that if I were confined to a wheel chair I would limit my shots to about half that distance to make extra sure that I wouldn't have to track an animal that got hit poorly.

Amen! Or even half of that half.

#11 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:22 PM

That would be even better. Even if I had the skills to make a perfect shot at 800 yards every single time, I just wouldn't feel safe that those tough 8mm bullets would open up reliably on a deer sized animals. Even a perfectly placed shot could and probably would require some tracking.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#12 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

thanks for all the help guys . I would not be comfortable taking a 800 yrd shot with the rifle now because I just got it .

I just want tobe able to take a shot at that range if I have a record breaker in my sights .

I'm not against following a blood trail just not one of my favorite things to do.

I never hunt alone , always have my brother or son with me .

along with the rifle there is a new 4x4 powerchair on order to make getting around easier while hunting .

once again thanks for all the info and your concerns . . . . . . .

#13 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:10 PM

Heck, I want to see pics of the new 4x4 power chair when you get it!! Don't forget to order the winch and lift kit. Lol!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users