11 replies to this topic

#1 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

Well I bit the bullet and ordered the Marauder .25 after all cotton tail season is upon us..
I got a 15% discount from Teds Holdover web site so the gun was only 433.00 plus 2.50 for S/H. :good:
I am really stocked and cannot what until the guy with the brown truck shows up with my new toys.
JSB pellets are on order and so is the scope a BSA scope 30mm tube, 4-14x 44mm with side focus
Ordering the guppy tank on Monday from Airtanksforsale.com

I am very excited and cannot wait until everthing comes in :yahoo:

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

Cool. You made a good decision. Jsb Kings will knock them silly. :carnage:

I'm an airgunholic

#3 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:30 PM

Thanks Brant, you and a few others at CPC really helped in my choice of air rifle that fits in my price range and needs.

#4 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

Way to go Screwwork! You are going to love that .25 Marauder :). Definitely, like Brant said, you made a good choice. Have fun harvesting those bunnies with that .25 and make sure to post plenty of pics of your new .25's hunts.

Congrats! :)

#5 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:25 PM

Well the man in the brown truck arrived with the gun, scope and air tank over the last two days.
Mounted the scope and zeroed it at 25 yards today, wow I am gong to love this gun.

Posted Image

Here is the M-rod 25 cal with BSA scope mounted.
Posted Image

Joe at airgunsforsale.com really set me upwith a great guppy air tank system.
Posted Image

#6 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

Sweeeeeeeeeeeettttt! :yahoo:

Great group with your new gun. That is pretty standard for a .25 Marauder with the JSB Exact Kings. :D I see you got the hand removable 300DIN set up. Nice! :) I thought about that, but then I didn't need to remove it because the place I get my tanks filled uses the foster connector. Other than that, it looks like the same set up with the Guppy Tank that I have. It is a great set up. You are going to have a great time with that .25 Marauder for sure. One thing I'd recommend is that you get a cover for that tank to help protect it from chips and other damage. I got mine from discountpaintball dot com I think. There is a thread somewhere around here that I think shows what I got, but I can't remember for sure. Anyway, get something to protect it and it will easily last you the 15 years and more (if you have a shoebox compressor :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: ).

Now that you have it sighted in and rabbit season is almost here you'll have to get out and bag those bunnies on opening day. :653:

Have fun! :signs1242cn:

#7 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

ARH,
1st thanks :yahoo: between you and Crazyhorse it sealed the deal for me on the M-rod 25 cal.
Who fills your air tank with the foster connector a Paint ball shop.
yes I need to get to the gun range ASAP for bunny season, Zero at 25 yards is not going to be enough range.
What did you zero you're 25 cal at? I am looking to stay within 50 to 75 yards until I get my confidence in shooting at longer ranges.

#8 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:49 PM

Who fills your air tank with the foster connector a Paint ball shop.

Yep. I do get it filled at a paintball shop. It is a place that Crazyhorse told me about. The guy will fill it to 4000PSI, but I haven't gotten him to go any higher for me. That's alright because I only use it when I can't use my hand pump. I love that tank too, it works fantastic.

yes I need to get to the gun range ASAP for bunny season, Zero at 25 yards is not going to be enough range.

Actually, since an air rifle has quite an arched trajectory zeroing at a close range will work. I'll explain more below.

What did you zero you're 25 cal at? I am looking to stay within 50 to 75 yards until I get my confidence in shooting at longer ranges.

Well, since my yard is pretty short (about 20 yards of shooting space) I used ChairGunPro to figure out what the best zero yardage would be for my .25 Marauder using the JSB Exact Kings. I chrony'd my Marauder first for 16 shots and took the average of 890FPS and put that into the app along with chosing the proper pellet. After some fiddling with the zero on the app, I found that if I zeroed at 18 yards my second zero point as the pellet trajectory dropped was at 43.2 yards and that kept the 1" kill zone (Point Blank Range) from around 12 to 49 yards. That gives me plenty of mildots to shoot out to around 107+ yards. I've included a graph to show you what the pellet trajectory of my .25 Marauder looks like.

Attached File  25MarauderTrajectory.pdf   29.05KB   10 downloads

When you open the PDF and look at it, you'll notice that there are two purple horizontal lines. Those lines represent a 1" kill zone (or point blank range). The red line represents the zero point and the arc line is of course the pellet trajectory. You'll also notice that the pellet starts at 2" below my zero. This is because the center of my scope is 2" from the center of my barrel. When the pellet is fired it rises from the muzzle up into the range of the center of the scope. So the pellet is rising to your zero point. Once it hits the zero point (if you've figured it correctly), the pellet is still rising. You want to figure your first zero point so that the pellet doesn't exit the 1" kill zone (or PBR). In the PDF you can see that the pellet peaks in it's trajectory at about 31 yards, but is still within the 1" kill zone (PBR). This means from my zero point at 18 yards until the pellet reaches the apex of it's arc, it is only 1/2" higher than at it's first and second zero points. It may sound a little confusing, but it is basically physics. Gravity starts to eventually pull the pellet back down. If you have questions about this, let me know and I'll try to answer them. I don't want to ramble on too much about this when you will be able to figure it out pretty easily once you use the apps or programs.

Anyway, I just recently purchased a Hawke Eclipse 30 SF scope for my .25 Marauder. It is a 4-16x50 sidewheel focusing scope and I've found that with that scope the .25 Marauder I have that it shoots pretty darn straight. So even though I could only zero at 18 it still hits it's mark at 43 yards and beyond easily. When I'm able to use shooting sticks, I have been able to hit my target animal at a pretty far distance. Most shots on a cottontail will be anywhere from 15 to 45 yards, sometimes a little further if you see them a ways off and don't have any cover to approach closer. For jack rabbits, my average shots with the .25 have been anywhere from around 35 to 70 yards typically. However, you will find that many times you don't have cover to approach closer and you'll have to take a 90 yard plus shot. Just steady your breathing and body movement, use some shooting sticks or something to steady your rifle and if the quarry allows, take your time so you can make a confident shot. :)

If you zero at 16 to 18 yards (which will be determined by your average velocity for 16 shots) and go out hunting and find that with no wind you are not hitting your far target because you are a little left or right, just adjust your scope a click or two the appropriate direction to get it closer. If you have to do that it won't noticably affect your near zero at all (at least it shouldn't).

So, using the velocity your .25 Marauder is shooting the JSB Kings will determine what your optimal near and far zero will be. If you haven't already, either download the app for your smartphone or for your computer. For the computer you can download it from the Hawke Sport Optics website. For a smart phone you can download it from iTunes or the Android Store, depending on what operating system your smart phone uses. The program also has a cool tool that allows you to specify your reticle type from a list, enter the diameter of your eye piece cap and it will use the information you have entered for you pellet, velocity, zero, scope center, etc. and create a print out that you can cut out and tape into your flip-up cover. That way you'll know what your holdover or holdunder will be for your shots at certain distances. It is really handy.

After you download the app or program, if you have any questions let me know and I'll try to help out. ;)

#9 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:14 AM

It's ready for first fur or feather! :sport037fn4:

I'm an airgunholic

#10 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

ARH,

Thanks for the detailed post and great advise.
I have already down loaded the Chairgun pro to my laptop and cell phone.
Loaded my the truck with my gear and ran to the range, Someone left the QD hose at home today :doh[1]:.
Reset my zero to 18yrds today and shot out to 75 yrds. three shots at 75 yards.
Posted Image

I am very impressed with the benjamin marauder .25 cal accuracy, now I have to do my part..
Now I need to buy a crony for sure, I like the Chronograph F1 model for the price it seems pretty good.

Look out rabbits & squirrels I am coming for ya :sport037fn4:

#11 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:38 AM

Congrats..!! I can't keep my hands off my mine....lol

#12 rustygun

rustygun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:All types of hunting, but mostley small game, varmints and predators. X-Military (Army) 20 years. Been away from the hunting game for almost 22 years

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

You got it all ready to go just in time. Hope you can get out real soon. Looking forward to your report with the new toy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users