39 replies to this topic

#31 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

If you buy any car from someone else you are taking a chance that they beat the crap out of it. As far as the limited slip you are talking about, that is what any limited slip differential does, if you dont put a true locker in then you will have nothing but a limited slip. XJs and ZJs are great for off road and have a ton of aftermarket stuff to ad to them if you choose to. If you are mainly going to use the vehicle as a hunting rig then an IFS rig will be just fine but there is no way the average IFS rig will do what an average sraight axle rig will but you know what they say about opinions...

#32 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

I have experienced that limited slip many times that's why when i bought my last two Gmc 's i payed extra for the posi rear end .

#33 SchonerTod

SchonerTod

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:31 PM

some xjs you can get that are not fully locked but will at least be locked in the rear

#34 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

some xjs you can get that are not fully locked but will at least be locked in the rear

True but you can put a easy locker or tru-trac on any vehicle for under $500 and that doesn't mean you won't get stuck, you should always know you and your vehicles limitations before you go off roading and never go wheeling alone. Hunting is another thing and lord knows I have had my Jeep in some places I shouldn't have been without another vehicle to help if I need and yet I still haven't had to use my winch to to pull myself out of a jamb (knock on wood)

#35 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:02 PM

You the man Ron! I've had to use my 10,000 lb winch twice in the last 3 weeks! One Border Patrol agent and his Tahoe (stuck trying to get out of a very soft sand wash). The other a family and their Suburban (they had no business being offroad). Gave my little Rubicon a workout for sure! If you have the money, invest in at least one locker that way you'll have at least 3 wheels to bail you out. If you can't invest in a locker, at least invest in a winch.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#36 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

ensuring at least three wheels means you need a locking transfer case and a locker in one of the differentials. Many 'auto' or 'fulltime' 4x4 systems either have a nonlocking or a limited slip transfer case, or like older Jeep models (and others) had a separate transfer lock switch you had to use if you wanted true 4x4. You would sometimes see transfers setting of 4 High and then a 4 High lock and 4 low lock.

#37 lenny

lenny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Location:Buena Park, CA............. 17 Coyote kills.. 1 Bob Cat
  • Interests:hunting/offroad racing/drinking beer at the river and drinking beer.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:59 PM

If you go V8 swap let me tell you Ive built alot of prerunners and offroad race cars and you cant beat a LS 1 motor (late 90s early 2000 camaro and firebird)cheap $1500 to $2000 405hp just add a delph 4 wire brain and your good to GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#38 'Ike'

'Ike'

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Bowhunting, Upland birds with my Labs and Shooting...

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

LoL! My dad picked up one in the late 70's and I ended up learning to drive with it..Great vehicle for off-road!
17HMR, .22Cal, 22WMR & .223 - Don't run, it only excites me... :smiley-outta-here:

#39 Bruce_559

Bruce_559

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:To many to list just ask but to name a few quads, fishing, snowboarding, saltwater fish tanks, trucks, streetbikes (gsxr) and also hogs.......

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

Lots of people off road without knowing a thing. I go to the sand dunes a lot and on any given weekend see 20+ people stuck. Like said above know what your vehicle can and cant do and if your gonna try something sketchy make sure u have a friend or two with a vehicle to help u out if u get stuck. I have a 01 chevy with a limited slip and have been a bunch of places that i shouldnt have been. Just take it slow and keep all 4 wheels on the ground and u should be good.

#40 bravofivethree

bravofivethree

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

I have a 1965 scout and it runs great. they arent much on frills though. I usually use my s10 blazer 4x4 because its nicer to drive. If i know im going on a difficult road .. the scout and its winches are a better option.

I like the scout because of the very torquey v8, points ignition, and mechanical fuel delivery. They are easy to work on and dont need a whole lot of maintenance. if you are good with a wrench and a welder, they will last you a lifetime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users