21 replies to this topic

#1 helmet600

helmet600

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

i was wondering....what do you guys think about getting an sks rifle for coyote hunting. i already have a savage and an ar15 for coyote hunting but im just wondering how i should go about making the build. i know the limitations of the rifle and thats what makes it challeging and fun.i just need some suggestion on how i should start thanks.

#2 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:16 AM

Why don't you just use a mossin or an AK, you have a great predator gun why change to something less suitable for what you are hunting.

#3 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,872 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:32 AM

that sks will leave you wishing.... you had your good coyote rifle with you instead of the sks

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

what do you guys think about getting an sks rifle for coyote hunting

Not Much! Sorry, just saying how I see it is all.

i know the limitations of the rifle and thats what makes it challeging and fun.

You need more "challenge" for your coyote hunts? REALLY? Well, I guess the sks will help that, as will a bow!Good Luck

#5 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,841 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

A bow would be much better.

#6 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

We all know it's impossible to shoot a coyote with a bow and arrow.

#7 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:02 AM

first how well does it shoot what kind of groups can you get?If you can shoot that thing real well then go for it.

#8 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:05 AM

If you already have an AR15, why would you waste your time with an SKS?

#9 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

first how well does it shoot what kind of groups can you get?

The words "groups" and "sks" is an oxymoron... The more correct term would be "PATTERNS". :angry2:

#10 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

I don't know if I'm the only one, but it just wierds me out when I see an SKS or an AK variant out in the field. Heck, even Mosins do for that matter and the commies were our allies when they were using them. If you want to add some challenge to your coyote hunting try it with an open sighted handgun. After I started hunting rabbits that way its not much fun to do it any other way.

#11 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

When I had 6 boys at home, and SKSs could be had for $56, My boys hunted with SKSs. With the right ammo they shoot as well as a 3030, or even a M1 carbine. Or 2 to 3" at 100yds. I put 4x scopes on them and swaped some of the stocks for the Ramline. Me and the boys have shot a few deer, pigs, and even a few coyotes with them but I dont think Id put an AR down to shoot the SKS. DR

#12 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:27 PM

If you want to add some challenge to your coyote hunting try it with an open sighted handgun. After I started hunting rabbits that way its not much fun to do it any other way.

:signlol2iu: I've converted all my friends to pistols for rabbits. It was discouraging to them at first, but after they connect, they could see where I was right when I told them that hitting that one, even after a dozen or two misses, felt better than any other rabbit they had taken. Scoped rifles on running rabbits is a blast also :signlol2iu: . Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#13 helmet600

helmet600

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

well i have 2 sks's a russian and a norinco, im using the norinco with a 4x scope. i have shot it out to 200 yards well withing the size of a baseball. im pretty sure its accurate enough for coyotes. i usually hunt in d11 area so im always scared ill run into a black bear or a cougar. so having an sks would be a better choice....just in case i need it lol

#14 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

i usually hunt in d11 area so im always scared ill run into a black bear or a cougar. so having an sks would be a better choice

You seem to have omitted that m i n o r detail... which of course (now) makes sense (for the sks).

#15 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

i was wondering....what do you guys think about getting an sks rifle for coyote hunting.

You asked about GETTING an sks, not using one you already have. If you have it and want to use it, then do it. Most guys here were thinking you were going to buy one specifically for yotes when you already have an AR.You hunt D11, so you need lead-free ammo. Have you looked at lead-free 7.62x39 ammo? It is not that common and it's expensive when you find it. Double Tap Ammo loads barney bullets and they are over $40 per boxhttp://www.doubletap...products_id=375

#16 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:44 PM

i know the limitations of the rifle and thats what makes it challeging and fun.i just need some suggestion on how i should start thanks.

well i have 2 sks's a russian and a norinco, im using the norinco with a 4x scope. i have shot it out to 200 yards well withing the size of a baseball. im pretty sure its accurate enough for coyotes. i usually hunt in d11 area so im always scared ill run into a black bear or a cougar. so having an sks would be a better choice....just in case i need it lol

So which one is it? You have two completely different theories as for what you want :signlol2iu: . If it is for a "challenge", I hardly consider a scoped rifle of any kind more of a "challenge". And if it's the bears or cats you're worried about, well, black bears aren't naturally aggressive nor very large. Either one would be easily deterred with pistol (.44 or even .357 for that matter) and would offer you more of that challenge you originally stated you were looking for. And it would sure be a heck of a lot lighter and easier to carry a pistol. Besides the fact that there are very, very few spots in the extremely dense D11 zone where you can actually capitalize on the full advantage of a rifle. And you would be far better off with an open sighted rifle over a scoped one there anyway. My two favorites (rifles) in that zone are the .4 Carbine and the .357 lever, but I still find it better to carry their pistol counterparts most of the time. :signlol2iu:

#17 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,872 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

you have been watching too many hunting shows. Your 223 will kill both with ease. If you can hit where you aim thats plenty of gun. Shoot a bear in the belly even with an sks and you might have problems.

#18 helmet600

helmet600

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

ok here is the deal guys... every time i go coyote hunting up in d11 i always carry a 1911 with non lead magtech ammo.. then i carry a ar15 or my savage chambered in 223 varmint granade...and then i carry a pardner single shot 12 guage with dead coyote(i like this shotgun becuase it doesnt weigh so much thats why i carry it). i always hunt alone. so the treat of getting eat'n by a bear or a cougar is always on my mind and i feel like a 223 frag round wont be enough to stop a treat. and i hate carrying so much weight on me when i go hiking up in those trails. so i feel that if i have a 762x39 nonlead sks with me...i can take care of any coyote and as an added benefit it is also a good way to protect my self from a treat. sooo thats why i asked...i recently bought an sks shell deflector and a scope mount i never thought of using it for coyote hunting but after thinking about i feel like it might be a good solution to my question. i just wanted some input on what you guys might think about an sks as a coyote hunting gun and any suggestions on how i could turn it into a good hunting carbine. when i go to the dessert i carry a 223 and a mossberg but d11 is a whole different story.

#19 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,872 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:24 AM

You carry just the 223 and things will be just fine.

#20 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:43 AM

People put wat too much thought into the whole bear and lion attack thing, you will get killed in your car on the way to hunting 10 times before you get attacked by a lion or bear, and you aren't givving the .223 enough credit either.

#21 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

You are too paranoid dude. You will be fine with just the AR and a low power scope like a 1-4x for anything from 0-400yds. Maybe use a sturdier bullet like the 53gr TSX if you want more punch than those VG's.

#22 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:44 PM

All this talk about "treats" and "desserts" is getting me hungary. :) :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users