21 replies to this topic

#1 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:46 PM

I don't like the big arse battery I have in it though. I may remove that big battery and use an "8 AA" battery pack instead. It'll save alot of room. However, it will cost a bit more as I will have to replace batteries.It's LOUD too! Basically my mp3 playing cell phone plugs into a 10Watt amplifier and out to the speaker. That big battery will last a freakin' year!

Attached Files

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 05:25 PM

That's awesome. :doh[1]: W hat is your parts list?That brings a whole new meaning to calling a coyote!! :1087:

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 April 2007 - 05:31 PM

Talk about a boom box! I don't think the battery is big enough. Maybe you should use one of your golf cart batteries. :doh[1]:

#4 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 05:57 PM

Well, originally I was going to just play these call sounds right on the stereo on my golf cart, but decided a hand carry job is much more ideal. That battery IS way overboard. I figured that out this afternoon when I finished the design and build. Like I said, I can probably go with the (8)AA battery pack (12Vdc) from Radio Shack an make that work. That would make it less than half the size and less than 1/3 the weight!Parts list:Elk 15Watt 8Ohm outdoor speakerElk 10Watt 12Vdc amplifierRadio Shack Project EnclosureTotal build: less than $50.00 - except I had the cell phone already. So figure the price of a cheap mp3 player into it if you build it.

#5 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 05:58 PM

That brings a whole new meaning to calling a coyote!!

Gosh, I can't believe I didn't think of that! :1087: I don't care who you are, that's funny right there! I'mna go out and CALL some coyote's this weekend! :doh[1]:

#6 Varmint Al

Varmint Al

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Computers

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:56 PM

That big battery will last a freakin' year!

How about this for a neat 12 Volt battery that will last 6 months.http://www.allelectr..._ASSEMBLY_.htmlI got two of them and they are really good!Good Hunting... from Varmint Al Posted Image

#7 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:17 PM

That battery is about half the size of the one I have now. That's a nice one. I was thinking of going with this:http://www.radioshac...rentPage=search

#8 Varmint Al

Varmint Al

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Computers

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:49 PM

That battery is about half the size of the one I have now. That's a nice one. I was thinking of going with this:http://www.radioshac...rentPage=search

That is probably just as good. You can use recharable batteries or alkaline. Should work very well. Way to go.Good Hunting... from Varmint Al Posted Image

#9 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:10 PM

Looks good. Your packaging is neat also. ;)

#10 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:21 PM

That should work great. I made one out of ALs designs it worked great the battery in the mini amp lasted for a long time.

#11 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:48 PM

I made the one on Varmint Al's page. However, I swapped out the Radio Shack PA speaker for a Speco one (much better sound and a 10' jack plug already attached).Darren

#12 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:43 PM

Wait till you see what I got up my sleeve!I purchased the 8 AA cell "pack" for a more compact unit.Next step:It was a little slow at work today so I got to drawing up some schematics and found some parts to make a 100+ meter remote control! I'll practically have me an FX5 without a fancy box.The Whole unit will still be less than half this current size and less than 1/3 the weight still! ;)

#13 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:28 PM

Now that is what I need! My remote range is terrible and I could use a LOT more distance. Would love if you would share that info. Really just need something that mutes the speaker and then allows it back on again.Darren

#14 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

Well, I just ordered the parts to build the remote part of it. Once I get the parts in and test it, I'll share. I'm not sure if It'll work as I'm advertising just yet. I have to design a small circuit to drive the transmitter and the receiver.You'll have alot more options than just mute, etc. with my design. You'll be able to use any $29 MP3 player from walmart with it too! I have a question for you guys that have an FX5 - are the sounds stored on the remote control, or are they actually stored on the unit itself?

#15 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

Hunting 365 days a year...in my mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Family and hunting

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:55 PM

They are stored in the unit...as far as I know. I have a FX3 and plan on upgrading to the FX5 remote this summer.

#16 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:41 AM

Yes, they are all stored in the unit.

#17 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:51 AM

NICE job, Sheldon... I AM impressed... That huge speaker cracks me up, looks great... Heck, you can call right from your house with that puppy...Way to go Frank

#18 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:36 AM

Well, I just ordered the parts to build the remote part of it. Once I get the parts in and test it, I'll share. I'm not sure if It'll work as I'm advertising just yet. I have to design a small circuit to drive the transmitter and the receiver.You'll have alot more options than just mute, etc. with my design. You'll be able to use any $29 MP3 player from walmart with it too! I have a question for you guys that have an FX5 - are the sounds stored on the remote control, or are they actually stored on the unit itself?

I use my IPod with it's RF remote. Lucky if I can get 50 feet with brand new batteries. Would love to get 50 yards so I can place it and the decoy far enough away to really get in the position that I want to be at.Darren

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:44 AM

So Sheldon will your new remote be FCC approved? Just curious as they are not a friendly lot and they weren't given a sense of humor at birth. :signlol2iu:

#20 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:51 PM

John,No approval required. I'll be incorporating the 2.4Ghz freq. in my remote.D-ManThat's why I avoided the FM tuner transmitter. It's great for it was designed for - car use less than 10 ft. away.Frank -It's not that big. The speaker is only 5" round.

#21 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:06 PM

Who is the Fcc and what does it matter its just a home project hes not selling them. When you get the caller done go play a prank on some on. I played the 3 group howl behind this ladyies house they are adjustment to a 30 acer field and canal she called me 5 minutes later all excited that a pack of coyotes are at her door. lol I laughed my butt off shes a animal lover anti hunter type.......not anymore.......... :signlol2iu:

#22 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:40 AM

Who is the Fcc and what does it matter its just a home project hes not selling them.

You just tell them that when they come knocking at your door. I'm sure they'll be real understanding. :signlol2iu:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users