22 replies to this topic

#1 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:52 PM

For all you Jeep Cherokee owners i am looking at a 91 Cherokee with a 4.0 inline 6 Cyl. what kind of gas mileage do these get and how reliable are they.I am considering selling my Samurai for a more spacious vehicle and the price is right on a particular Cherokee up the road from me.Any input here is welcome even problems that are common with these vehicles i would like to know. :smiley-funny-post-sign: Thanks Frank

#2 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:25 PM

You won't be sorry switching to a cherokee. The 4.0L is a really good motor, I know guys that are pushing 250,000 miles and still going. It is not as reliable as the toyota 4 bangers but you will not be sorry with it. Mine is geared with 4:56s on 31s and I get 14mpg or so so they are not great for gas but the extra room is awsome. the suspension is very capable off road and with minimal money can be lifted and ready to go where you want to put it. The motor does tend to leak oil at the head gasket but that is an easy fix and usually not a problem mechanically.

#3 knox35

knox35

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:26 PM

I agree with Jaw I just sold my 89 Cherokee it had 166000 on it and the thermostat housing was broken off the head. JB Welded back together and drove the piss out of it last year the guy who bought it from me is still driving it no problems. I have since upgraded or downgraded to a Wrangler the Cherokee was great because I could get all my gear in it my Wrangler doesn't fit crap. They are cheap functional and a RE 3 1/2 lift will run you under 500 and you can get BFG Mudd take offs on CL for under 600.00. Good luck

#4 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:24 PM

I spent time looking at the Jeep Cherokee, I searched alot for info the same as you are. The results that I came up with was the Cherokee Sport. 17-20 MPG depending upon the weight of the foot driving it, Lift kits availabe but necessary? Thats up to you. You have to decide where you go looking for Coyotes. I ended up getting a Mittsubishi Montero Sport, but mostly because my GF didnt like the square look of the Cherokee. I read great things about the Cherokee, and the 6 cyl getting over 300K fron the motor. I also read that the Grand cherokees and other models that tried to lean towards comfort and bells and whistles had alot of elect probs. Google the Cherokee Sport, lots of aftermarket parts, suspension lifts. I had the Suzuki Sidekick with 4wd and it was great, I couldnt find a clean Sammi. Ive ridden in a couple Cherokee sports, and though they arent a Caddillac, It would probably serve you well. Good Luck.

#5 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:19 PM

rabbiddog, don't look at buying a Cherokee for it's gas mileage. It's a 4x4 and like most 4x4's, they don't get good gas mileage. This is one of the reasons you see most jeeps (Cherokees and Wranglers) with spare fuel containers strapped/bolted to them in some form or fashion. The reliability question is basically up to you. If you take care of it, like any other vehicle, it will take you to hell and back. I've owned jeeps since the early 70's and they've all been very dependable but I also do the required maintenance on them. Nothing drastic but fluid changes are any vehicles life line so I do them regularly. You can't go wrong with the Cherokee family. I saw alot of them being traded in during the mass vehicle trade ins our government sponsored. I wonder sometimes what happened to them all? If room is what you're looking for in the Jeep family-get a Cherokee. If a pure, unadulterated 4x4 (turns so tight, you can easily lay it on it's side by turning quickly) is what you're after and don't care about space-get a Wrangler. Either way, you can't go wrong. Oh and the in-line 6 cylinder engine is way more dependable than one can imagine. I've seen this engine in broken down, half bodied jeeps, running generators and water pumps in the back country of South American jungles. Their simple and amazingly durable engines.

#6 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:19 AM

I had a '95 4x4 Cherokee Sport back in '98 for less than a year. Let's see, a three-year old vehicle and...the engine mounts sheared on a bump about 1" high, which caused the entire engine to shift sideways along with the tranny, lots of expensive damage on that one (but it was the city's fault during construction, so guess who paid that bill). The door hinge on the driver's side sheared off at random and the door fell off while in my driveway. Exhaust brackets failed and the exhaust fell off. But hey, the interior was decent?? I never even took it off road once.I now drive a Toyota after owning a Mustang, an Audi, and even a new Jeep Wrangler.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:43 AM

Jeff it's funny you mention the motor mounts shearing and all the damaged caused. A friend of mine was attempting to pull a neighbors truck from a patch of grass. The guy got suck along side his driveway in the soft ground. My friend put just a rope between their two vehicles and attempted to pull it from the street. He said he eased into the gas to snug the rope when he heard a big bang and steam started pouring from under the hood. His mounts had broken and the fan took out the radiator. Apparently the torque sheared the mounts. My guess is the mounts were ready to go and the little strain put on it was all that it needed to let go. I hadn't heard of anyone else having the mount problem.

#8 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:06 AM

Was it a Jeep as well, John?My fan blew up into many pieces and also took out the radiator as part of the extensive damage.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:51 AM

Yes it was Jeff, a Jeep Cherokee.

#10 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:53 AM

Thank you all for the replies. In my current position of being laid off I decided it is not in my best interest to trade off or sell my Samurai.It may still be a consideration later but with the gas prices on the rise and lack of employment I'll just wait.Thank you all again.Frank

#11 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:16 PM

I am looking into buying a Cherokee from my Boss. Price seems a little high though. It's a 2000 with a little rust on one rear door, other than that it is really clean. Has 125k miles on it. He wants $6k for it.I am selling my 99 GMC 4x4, and looking for something a little smaller like a Cherokee or a 4x4 Ranger

#12 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:00 AM

Seems a bit high to me as well, though the XJ's (Cherokees) are becoming quite desireable, especially with 4x4 and I6. Shop around there are better deals out there. My 4x4 i6 2000 XJ is lifted, tires/wheels, 0 rust and only 95K. I'd be thrilled to get $6k for it, but would probably take $5k. It's not for sale right now, but I have been contemplating moving up to a newer Crew cab Truck.

#13 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:15 PM

My cherokee is a 98 with 65,000 mi when I bought it for $3,000, You can find a better deal than that. WKC, I have a 2006 f-350 crew cab and love it but I would rather hunt out of my jeep any day, It will fit on just about any trail and I don't need to worry about beating it up. I have run my jeep on quad trails without blinking an eye. If you can afford it keep the jeep and get the truck too.

#14 knox35

knox35

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:50 PM

I couldn't agree more.

#15 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:11 PM

Seems a bit high to me as well, though the XJ's (Cherokees) are becoming quite desireable, especially with 4x4 and I6. Shop around there are better deals out there. My 4x4 i6 2000 XJ is lifted, tires/wheels, 0 rust and only 95K. I'd be thrilled to get $6k for it, but would probably take $5k. It's not for sale right now, but I have been contemplating moving up to a newer Crew cab Truck.

I would be interested in it, so let me know if you decide to sell it.

#16 justin_502

justin_502

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:22 AM

I got a 6.5 inch lift locked front and rear on 35s on the freeway I went to Laughlin avg. 18mpg. Freeway only. For the motor mount problem... simple fix will not break again http://browndogindus...7-1990-40l.aspx . If you are going to buy one its a lot cheaper to get one all ready lifted. Check out NAXJA some decent jeeps for sale in the classifides right now.

#17 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:19 AM

I would be interested in it, so let me know if you decide to sell it.

Just saw this post Russ. I'll let you know first if I decide to sell. Sure is a great rig, but with the 57 I'm working on if I end up getting a truck, I won't be able to keep the Jeep.

#18 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:06 PM

Sounds good man, keep me posted.

#19 CaliCreole

CaliCreole

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:38 PM

Ive got a '92 xj and love it just picked it up around thanksgiving and it has already taken me places my tundra wouldn't dare to go. its still stock but I plan on putting a small lift a roof rack and a brush guard.

#20 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:38 PM

You guys with the Cherokee's need to watch "Xtreme 4x4" on TNN channels. I believe it's on Saturday and Sunday mornings. They are getting ready to do a low budget makeover on a Cherokee as their next project. Ian and his co-star are very informative and are funny to boot.

#21 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:31 AM

My 1981 Jeep Cherokee is still running strong and very reliable. I have dumped a lot of time and money into it but it always gets me anywhere and brings me home. To increase mileage and boost power and response, I got rid of the old carb, smog pump and related junk and installed Mopar multi-port fuel injection. That and an engine rebuild really brought the old gal back to life. It hums like a sewing machine and gets about 19 MPG. I have had a bunch of fun with my Cherokee and nothing has ever stopped her yet.

#22 CaliCreole

CaliCreole

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:35 PM

You guys with the Cherokee's need to watch "Xtreme 4x4" on TNN channels. I believe it's on Saturday and Sunday mornings. They are getting ready to do a low budget makeover on a Cherokee as their next project. Ian and his co-star are very informative and are funny to boot.

Do you know if they are gonna run that episode this weekend? Im gonan be gone but i can set my DVR I amd definately interested in seeing that.

#23 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:47 PM

My wife told me she saw the end of the show where they say what's coming up and showed a stock Cherokee that they are going to be working on. All I know is that it's on every weekend on TNN. Sorry if I don't have anymore info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users