12 replies to this topic

#1 Burger

Burger

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:54 PM

Going to buy a holster for my new .22 Ruger Mark III Hunter. What are the pros and cons of leather vs. nylon holsters? Thanks, Burger

#2 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:33 PM

I've heard that the chemicals used to tan leather are hard on a blued guns finish if the holster were to get wet. On the other hand I have a ruger black hawk that got a little rusty from riding around in a nylon holster that had gotten a little damp. I carry my Browning Buckmark in a leather Tripple K holster (model 39-20) and I really like it. They make them for different barrel lengths and they fit both the rugers and brownings. It has a spot to carry an extra magazine and the saftey strap helps to keep it in place as well as your pistol.Attached File  a1.JPG   82.02KB   81 downloads
Sharps, the rifle that made the west safe for Winchester!

Real tractors have two cylinders and hand clutches.

My rifle is mine, it isn't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like.

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,727 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:56 PM

I love that holster and is exactly what I want to buy for my 22/45.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#4 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:03 PM

I'm not 100% sure but I think the 22/45 requires a different model due to the different grip/frame geometry.

My rifle is mine, it isn't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like.

#5 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:53 AM

I like leather but it's just a personal preference. I like the way it smells and I like the way it feels. Functionally, I haven't noticed any real difference in my applications.Jason

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,699 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:51 PM

I have lots of both types but I prefer nylon. The main reason is if it gets wet it doesn't lose its shape or become damaged. Not that I expect to get a holster wet but it's happened to many of mine just wearing them in the field. I have also washed the nylon ones too. Especially after traveling especially dust roads and such. The fine dust just doesn't come out of leather even with compressed air. So that fine dust works as an abrasive and speeds the bluing removal process.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 Burger

Burger

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:58 PM

Thanks for the opinions. I'm trying to find one with a metal belt clip. I like the versatility that the metal belt clip offers. Outside the pants, inside the pants, hanging from the top of my bibs. I'm planning on carrying this walking the dogs, running the tractor, etc. I live in open country and find oportunities to relocate varmints (relocate from above ground to crow food) on a regular basis. I found an inexpensive (and maybe cheap too) nylon one at BJ Dixon. It's a pro-tech WSB-35.Burger

#8 Full Clip

Full Clip

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:09 AM

I'd heard that you should never store any gun long-term in a leather holster (or even with a sling) as it will trap and hold moisture. By nature, leather must have some moisture content to be pliable, while nylon does not.
Also stuck in So Cal. Hit me up!

#9 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:19 AM

I have a Ruger single six (convertible .22LR to .22mag). The tip of it has all the blue worn off it from my leather cowboy holster. It's a neat little holster, but kinda silly lookin' when I'm wearing it because it looks like it belongs in the TV show "Deadwood"
Sheldon

#10 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:51 PM

What did you decide??

#11 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:59 AM

I'd be cautious about putting a (cheap) firearm in a nylon holster for hip carry or even worse for IWB carry. I tried that with my standard matte blued Browning Buckmark one day while moving sprinkler pipes on the ranch, and it formed rust on the barrel within an hour or two from body moisture. I see your Buckmark is nickle/stainless, so maybe that won't be an issue for you. Just a heads up. My Buckmark has never rusted before, or after that incident by the way.

#12 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:30 AM

I'm looking for a classic cowboy style holster and belt with cartridge loops for a new single action revolver. I've looked in the Cabellas catalogue and they seem to have some good prices on their Oklahoma Leather line. Anyone have any experience with these or other sources of resonably prices rigs that you can recommend? Thanks.Jason

#13 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:37 PM

.......I see your Buckmark is nickle/stainless, so maybe that won't be an issue for you.......

Nope. The paint that they use on the rear sight rail flaked off in a tiny spot so I scraped the rest of it off and went to work on it with a dremmel and polished it out. :lol: You should have seen the looks I was getting from the ol' lady when I started scrapeing at the finish of a new gun. :lol: :doh[1]:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users