• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,581 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

Finally have enough money after the holidays to put my old 1100 Remmy under the knife. She is at R&D (Americhoke) getting cut so I can use choke tubes in her. After measuring the choke constriction again, the advertised Full choke on the barrel is more like an extra full or turkey choke constriction (.685) :good: No wonder it reaches so far, is hard to hit up close, and stops birds in their tracks. Even :751: birds. This should make the old boat anchor (she's a heavy pig, but I love her) much more versatile. It's just funny because this was my first shotgun, and the first gun I ever bought myself, so I have hunted with it every year for the last 20+ years and I am more nervous about this than I am when I go in for surgery :good: . Can't hunt right now anyway (weather), so it was the perfect time to take it in. But I should have the chance to try her out this weekend, weather permitting. Again, thanks to SJ and clampdaddy for the recommendation on his services. Just talking to him and picking his very intelligent brain each visit is worth it alone. And being only 20 miles round trip away makes it super convenient.Wow! On a side note, I dropped it off at noon this afternoon and mentioned I was maybe wanting to hunt this weekend before the season ends this weekend. I never even asked when he would be done (I don't like to push people as I don't like it when I am working either), but I just received a phone call at 4:00 saying that "Since my choke tubes were already in stock, and everybody else's guns currently being worked on are not trying to get out before the season ends, mine will be done tomorrow afternoon"!!! I may even get the chance to pattern it and hunt a couple days with it! YOU CAN'T BEAT SERVICE LIKE THAT. Thank you both again for the heads up on this place, I am even more impressed every time I deal with him.

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

Good to hear of the excellent and f a s t service, Bob. Good for you on getting it done. You will like that shotgun a whole lottttttt more. I did that to one of mine 25 +/- yrs ago & works awesome. You will be a Happy Camper hitting more birds with it. Just don't let your nephew or anyone else hunt with it, as it may be the last you get to use it... as my youngest son did to me. I sure miss that gun. lolIt really is amazing sometimes, how one shotgun can be called full choke yet is considered modified in another, as your example so correctly points out. And all the more reason why one would do well to do like you did. More hits and more game will be the results. :good: p.s. I'm hoping to get out this week also... Good Luck to you & let us know how you do.

#3 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

From your title I was afraid someone in your family was in trouble! Glad to hear it was elective surgery, and that everyone is OK. Its good to hear reports of great service too. Normally its complaints on the internet. Let us know how you like it. DR

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,581 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

From your title I was afraid someone in your family was in trouble!

It is someone in the family, and one I actually like too ;) And you are so right about only hearing negative feedback, seems like nobody bothers to mention the good things. But after the service I have received here, I can't say enough good things. Yeah frank, it was hard enough to pry it away from his 11 year old hands after dove season (even after his dad got him a very nice O/U 20ga) so needless to say, I doubt he will even touch her now :D He also tried to walk in the door with my 20ga 870 when I dropped him off Sunday after shooting some clays, the little booger. Good luck if you head out also. I am going, just don't know if it will be Thursday or Saturday. If I go Thursday, the little guy can't miss school and I go alone, but if I go Saturday I will be W A Y late showing up for a graduation party for a 20 year friend who also happens to be my hunting partner's sister :504: But I think we both know what day I'm going :rolleyes: Good thing she understands my family's priorities :D I just got back home with the barrel and I have to say I love it. You can't even tell it's been touched, and I can now use it for everything. I am one happy camper. It will be real interesting to see how a "true" full choke patterns with her now. My one and only fear is that she may not shoot to point of aim like she did before if anything is "off". But again, after meeting him, I truly trust his work. That's the only reason I let him touch her to begin with. And his customer service again was just excellent. Before I could leave he "made me" take a few extra o-rings for the gas seal and told me there are so many of these 1100's out there that he has just about every piece on hand if anything should ever break, just give him a call. I can't recommend him enough and feel good about supporting a small business man, but feel even better supporting a place with such great service. I will definitely be doing more business with him in the future :good: Here is the link also if anyone is considering having this done. Top notch all the way!!!http://www.americhoke.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users