#1 P.McKenna

P.McKenna

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Camping, 4WD's, Fighting to Support the 2A

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:36 AM

So my 93' XJ That I posted pictures on here a while back ended up being totaled due to a drunk who T-boned it while it was parked a few months back :smiley-funny-post-sign: . So w/ the insurance cash I picked up a 4wd Explorer as my D/D with 80K & a new tranny in it. So I was looking around for a good rig that I wouldn't mind getting some dents in and can get me back to those hunting and fishing spots we all love. A buddy who owns a shop in town had a 4wd 92' 4Runner w/ 198K on the OD that is clean in and out. A customer didn't pay him for doing the Head Gaskets, Timing Chain, & water pump on it a few months back, so the customer signed over the pink to him and he told me its yours if I could come up w/ the $800 for the work he did on it :sport037fn4:.I grabbed that thing up & ended up installing some new shift & lock-up solenoids, trans filter, all drive belts, new high CCA/CA battery and did a complete front brake job and scored myself a nice 4runner for about $1400. Will get some pictures up soon, this thing should serve me well for what I want it for.

#2 P.McKenna

P.McKenna

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:35 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageUpgrades I'm looking @ adding down the road are a slight lift like 1.5-2" lift, on-board air, front winch bumper, winch, remove the floor boards and add rock sliders, auxiliary driving lights, ect.

#3 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:03 PM

Nice rig! I wish I could find deals like that. You should keep the stock height on that Toy unless your tires are rubbing. It looks plenty tall and you don't really need it to be taller to go hunting. Besides, the taller the vehicle, the worse your gas mileage will be. You will be best served by getting rid of that front bumper and getting a bumper that you can mount a good winch on as well as some offroad lights. A winch is one of the most important accessories you can put on a 4x4 especially if you hunt alone. Also, consider a 40 channel CB radio with weather bands so you can communicate with others and know what weather conditions will be in your hunting areas. You don't need an onboard air system either. Just go to one of the 4x4 shops and pick up a Viair 400 portable air compressor system that you can take anywhere. To operate, just connect the leads to your battery posts (alligator clips), turn it on and hook it up to your tires or whatever. They come in their own bag with a hose and inflation tools. I actually have an onboard system in my jeep but I carry the Viair 400 system as a backup. It comes in handy when my buddies have to air down for a trail and I can't get close enough to fill their tires with my onboard system. Keep that rubber side down and take care of her, she'll take care of you. Way to go on that Runner :good: !
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#4 P.McKenna

P.McKenna

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:20 PM

Thanks fakawee. Yeah I was thinking it sits pretty high as it is being that it has factory 31x10.50r15's on it. I'm actually getting Cobra's 29LX LE 40 channel w/ the weather bands and a Firestick in a drivers side hood mount this weekend. I was actually looking @ a mobile air system and I will definitely look into Viair 400 system :good:

#5 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:11 PM

Good looking Rig! Congrats!
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#6 oz_fox_hunter

oz_fox_hunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Hunting feral pest species, riding motorbikes,

Posted 21 May 2011 - 04:31 PM

You got a bargain.. some fun times ahead for sure :good:

#7 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:16 PM

the runners are great trail rigs. and you got a bargain. you may want to think more about that lift. the 1.5" lift is more about freeing up the suspention than lift. it gives more droop and allows the wheel to lift higher without tilting the vehicle. a buddy first got a soft ride kit and I was amaised at the ride. but stock suspention is nothing to sneaze at either. enjoy it either way. most of the places I hunt that require 4x4 to get into arent rough rock crawls but are either mud or slick grass.so lockers are more important to me. DR

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:11 PM

Why in the world anybody would want to alter a perfectly good factory setup that is working just fine for 1-1/2 inches of lift is beyond my comprehension. It's not a rock crawler or severe off road vehicle (at least not in that form), and having a reliable, functioning vehicle that hasn't been changed (more prone to problems) is way more important to me, especially when alone, than 1-1/2 inches of clearance. It's a hell of a lot easier to find a better line of travel to make it clear than to have to do a roadside repair for broken aftermarket parts for what little you've gained.Don't know how much you're looking at spending for the air setup also, but I have always loved the CO2 tanks. Not only do they allow portability, but you can run air tools off them if need be.

#9 P.McKenna

P.McKenna

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 03:04 PM

I have a little cash to mess a round with this month so I'm going to be installing some Bilstein HD shocks (it needs em), Cobra 29LX LE 40 channel w/ NOAA weather band, 3' Firestick in a Driver's side hood mount. The under hood temps on these Yota's are crazy, so to save my wires and hoses and let that hot air escape I've decided to grab a Hannemann Fiberglass hood w/ newer style 4runner scoop for around $250. My neighbor is a welder, so we got to talking and he's going to help me build my own Winch/Brush guard front bumper for just the material and a couple 30 packs.As far as the Portable Air source: I found out my pops has a few CO2 rated 15 & 20lb tanks, I would just need to get a regulator with a gauge, some coiled line with a hookup which can set me up for the time being until I can grab a Viair system. Man things really come together fast when you start getting a plan mapped out lol

#10 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:36 PM

PMK, you can get the regulator, coil hose and tire chuck from either Lowe's or Home Depot. They'll be cheaper than an auto parts store. CO2 bottles are great items also but you have to make sure they are secured during your travels. Knock off the valve and it becomes a missile if not secured. I was at a 4x4 rally once and saw a guy in a truck that forgot to secure his CO2 tank. It bounced around in the bed, broke off the valve, went thru the back window and ended up dancing around in the cab with him.Great that you're mounting a CB in the vehicle. Might I give you a tip on the antenna though. Since you have an all metal roof, consider mounting a magnetic antenna that is removable. Something like Wilson 1000 or 5000, K40 etc.. This gives you the ability to take it down and store it in the vehicle for security or to keep it out of harms way when going under tree limbs or low bridges. A hood mounted antenna will not give you the range a roof mounted antenna will. Once you have it "matched" to the radio you are going to use, you'll be surprised at the range. My friend all have them on their trucks and love them. Just a tip!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#11 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:07 PM

Why in the world anybody would want to alter a perfectly good factory setup that is working just fine for 1-1/2 inches of lift is beyond my comprehension. It's not a rock crawler or severe off road vehicle (at least not in that form), and having a reliable, functioning vehicle that hasn't been changed (more prone to problems) is way more important to me, especially when alone, than 1-1/2 inches of clearance. It's a hell of a lot easier to find a better line of travel to make it clear than to have to do a roadside repair for broken aftermarket parts for what little you've gained.Don't know how much you're looking at spending for the air setup also, but I have always loved the CO2 tanks. Not only do they allow portability, but you can run air tools off them if need be.

1 1/2" soft ride lifts arent about lift but about keeping all 4 wheels planted, and smoothing the ride. the factory settup was a compromise between inexpencive to produce, best manners on the road, and off road abilitys. after I had ridden in a good suspetion settup I understood why. DR

#12 P.McKenna

P.McKenna

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:32 PM

fakawee- I've heard great things about the Wilson 1000/5000's. My only problem w/ the magnetic Wilson's would be finding the best way to route the coax. I do have a sunroof, I could use that but it retracks into the roof panel. I guess I could route it through one of the rear windows, down the seatbelt panel and under the carpet. I'd like to keep the install as clean as possible, Got any idea's on this?

#13 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:26 AM

Nice deal on the runner. I wish I could find deals like that. I've got a Viair mounted in the dead storage space under my rear seats in my Tacoma. Runs to a 5 lb. tank under the bed between the frame rails. It's plumbed to a quick disconnect on either side of the truck. They are attached onto the sliders just to the rear of the door. I use it all the time, not just for airing up tires either. I use it inflate blow up mattresses while camping, the neighborhood kids' bike tires, air tools...they are very useful.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#14 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:02 PM

fakawee- I've heard great things about the Wilson 1000/5000's. My only problem w/ the magnetic Wilson's would be finding the best way to route the coax. I do have a sunroof, I could use that but it retracks into the roof panel. I guess I could route it through one of the rear windows, down the seatbelt panel and under the carpet. I'd like to keep the install as clean as possible, Got any idea's on this?

The cleanest look would be to drill a hole in the roof and run your cable thru but that defeats the purpose of having a magnetic mount to remove and install it quickly. :roflmao3[1]: Since you have a 4 door, place the magnetic mount in the center of the roof, behind the sunroof opening even with the rear door pillar (driver side preferably), run the cable down the rear of the pillar into the cab making sure you test close your door for cable clearance, route the cable inside the plastic pillar near the shoulder belt pivot mount and down towards the floor behind the drivers seat. If you can run it under the carpet, thats ideal. Just make sure nothing cuts or pinches the cable. Most CB cables come pre-measured in 18 foot lengths so you should have plenty to run it to your dash or where ever you are mounting your CB. If you end up with extra cable, do not coil it up! This will ruin your reception and transmission. Run it under your Toys carpet in different directions till you end up with enough to reach your radio. As long as it does not cross over itself, you'll be fine. I've seen guys use colored duct tape at the door junction to keep the cable in place. The weather stipping/door gasket shouldn't hurt the cable but double check it just in case. I know the cable from the mount to the door is unattractive but to me, communication performance take priority over looks. Roof mounted antenna's are highly efficient due to the location-center of the vehicle for 360 degree coverage. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users