• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 heliman500

heliman500

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Hunting, Fishing, oh and best not forget most important of all...my wife and son!

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:17 PM

Can anyone recommend a hand-held 6/9 volt hunting light, needs to have built in battery (DFG compliance) and long range. Thanks in advance

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:23 PM

It doesn't need to have a built in battery. It can have a battery pack that you carry as on a belt. It just means it can't be attached to a vehicle.

#3 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:04 PM

If you look, you can find some blinding, 300 lumen LED 6v lights. Look a bit harder and you'll find some with red LEDs.Google is your friend.

#4 heliman500

heliman500

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Hunting, Fishing, oh and best not forget most important of all...my wife and son!

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:26 AM

John, thanks for clarifying that, I was never certain what they meant by self contained...MtnDog, do you know what sort or range you can get from the LED lights? is 300 yds possible?

#5 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:54 AM

MtnDog, do you know what sort or range you can get from the LED lights? is 300 yds possible?

300 yds is too far to identify your target species at night.

#6 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:56 PM

Here is a pretty good packable light, but even with the spot light you will not be able to positively identify game at 300 yards.Nite Light

#7 heliman500

heliman500

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:22 PM

Thanks for the advice. I just need to pick up eyes at 300 yds and then work them in from there to a safe range

#8 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:11 PM

I have a nice spotlight that plugs into the cig lighter. I was looking for a battery pack to make it portable. Would something like this work?Also need to find a 6" red lens to go on it, then I'm good to go.http://www.google.co...d=0CJABEPMCMAU#

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:23 PM

As long as you are in a 12volt area it's okay.

#10 BearWhoHunts

BearWhoHunts

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:I am into foraging of all kinds. Hunting for game is just one aspect. Every time I am out in the back country I am looking for edible, useful and medicinal flora and fauna. I am also constantly working on survival skills. Hunted as a boy for squirrel, rabbit and some upland birds. I am a farmer by trade and I work for an organic farm founded on ethical work practices.

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:53 PM

I just got a 2million candle one that is 9 volt with internal rechargeable batteries from Radio Shack from $20 bucks. It comes with a car charger and a wall charger and will stay on for about 30 mins of continual usage. It works pretty darn well for spotting everything we have on our ranches at night. I also have had a few of the Icon headlamp from Black Diamond. It runs on 3 AA batteries - has a 3watt LED spotlight and 4 1watt LEDs for a camp light. I have used it when I was living in the middle of the rainforest, hunting, backpacking, and just living in the woods. I trust it with my life (did everyday for 6 months when I was living in the rainforest)!! I have yet to spot anything at 300 yards with with spot light from RS and I use the headlamp for stuff in the woods (never more that 100ish yards). Hope this helps. Happy Hunting,Bear

#11 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:02 PM

Anybody use the Primos Varmint Hunting Lights? They have a couple different models of them. Are they cheap pieces of crap? they are not very expensive...http://www.cabelas.c...-lights-1.shtml

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:55 PM

Dave there are some restrictions on lights attached to guns. It depends if you hunt in certain approved zones of the state. Here is what DFG has to say.http://californiaout...ht-with-lights/Question: Can you clarify the regulation on hunting coyote with a light? I interpret it to be that its OK to hunt at night with a light except during a designated deer season, and that it must be a handheld light. Can you use a scope-mounted light? Thanks. (Tom B.)Answer: Coyotes may be taken at any time of the year, in any number (unless prohibited by local ordinance or otherwise) and in any manner except poison (California Code of Regulations, Title 14, sections 472 and 475). You are correct that lights cannot be used for night hunting in any area where the general deer season is open.According to Lt. Todd Tognazzini, before you set out to hunt coyotes, you will need to research two main areas of the law. The first deals with the use of lights while night hunting. The state is divided into three distinct zones and under the CCR, Title 14, section 264, there are some counties defined in Zone 1 and Zone 2 that allow spotlight use from a vehicle as long as the engine is off and spotlighting does not occur from a public roadway. In the Balance of the State Zone (all other counties), hunters may only use lights to take furbearing and nongame mammals if the hunter is on foot and away from a vehicle. Lights must be a maximum 9-volt light source with self-contained batteries, and must be either hand-held or worn on your head (CCR, Title 14, section 264.5).According to the Fish and Game Code, section 2005, It is unlawful to use or possess at any time any infrared or similar light used in connection with an electronic viewing device or any night vision equipment, optical devices, including, but not limited to, binoculars or scopes that use light-amplifying circuits that are electrical or battery powered, to assist in the taking of birds, mammals, amphibians or fish.In Zones 1 and 2, a weapon-mounted light of any size could be used so long as it was not a prohibited device (as described under the FGC, section 2005[c]). A weapon-mounted light would not be lawful in the Balance of the State Zone. In the Balance of the State, lights must be a maximum of 9-volts with self-contained batteries, and must be either hand-held or worn on your head (CCR, Title 14, section 264.5).There are also quite a few areas in the state where night hunting is prohibited completely, such as parts of San Benito and Monterey counties (CCR, Title14, section 263). There are also different areas with complete closure zones, so be sure to check for those as well (CCR, Title14, section 474).

#13 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:01 PM

John, I know about the zones and their different rules. Just asking about everyones experience with different setups/equipment

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:57 PM

I'm sorry Dave. Most of the guys don't know that rule so I apologize for bringing it up. I haven't had an experience with that light because this particular law was changed pretty recently and you couldn't even have a gun mounted light previously. I think CA Desert Dog had one.

#15 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:51 PM

You don't need to buy a red lens, I bought red dykum (not sure if it is spelled right) from grainger and dyed the lens of my light red.

#16 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:41 PM

With all the high-lumen LED flashlights flooding the market, I keep hoping someone will come out with one designed for predator hunting with a trigger or switch to instantly flip from a red beam to full power white light.CA Desert Dog sells a premium quality 'flip' light ( http://www.shop.redh...mp;productId=24 )but it's out of my price range and not portable enough for me. (Sorry, Red.)I think an ideal light would be small, powerful (at last 300 lumens) and inexpensive (under $50) with the red/white flip or toggle capability I can work with one hand to switch from red to white without taking the light off the critter's eyes? :signs1242cn:

#17 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:32 PM

I remember a while ago John posted a link to a light with an external battery pack, red lens, 9volt. I cant find the post anymore but everyone seemed to love it.

#18 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:42 PM

You don't need to buy a red lens, I bought red dykum (not sure if it is spelled right) from grainger and dyed the lens of my light red.

Good tip Ron, I dont know why I didnt think of that. I'm a machinist and have a few bottles of Dykem around. In high school we used to dip our headlight bulbs in red or purple candy paint, they looked cool on the lowered vw's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users