• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 thebeast64ol

thebeast64ol

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:I love to go out and hunt, hike, backpack, pretty much anything that is in the outdoors.

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:21 AM

So the front suspension on my "Exploder" just died, (The front crossmember cracked right at the sway bar mount) so I started to look for a new vehicle. It was $1500 to fix due to its torsion bar suspension setup and I was just not willing to pay that for a car worth only $2200 KBB. And all that was on my mind lately was a JEEP anyways!! So I started looking around on CL and Auto Trader but nothing was really looking too hot and then I stumbled across this 1994 Sahara for $5200. Its got the 4.0 High Output, 2.5in ProComp suspension lift, 31x11.5 BFG A/T KO tires and custom rectangle tube bumpers. I like that the Sahara has a LSD in the rear and come with A/C. Living in Socal basically required me to get a car with A/C. Well here are a few poser pics, but hopefully Ill get it out on the trails and get some blood in the bed soon enough!! :smiley_green_with_envy: Posted ImagePosted Image
This is Remington Country!

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:27 AM

You'll have fun in that, and it's very nice looking too. I sure miss my old CJ5.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 thebeast64ol

thebeast64ol

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:I love to go out and hunt, hike, backpack, pretty much anything that is in the outdoors.

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:40 AM

You'll have fun in that, and it's very nice looking too. I sure miss my old CJ5.

Thanks SJ!! Its awesome! Ive already taken it off road and its handled everything Ive thrown it at. Maybe some of the other Socal Jeep owners on here can show me some real trails. :smiley_green_with_envy:

#4 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:52 AM

Alright I'm Jealous...... :smiley_green_with_envy: I had planned to finally pick up a Jeep this year with my Tax Return, but the ole lady told me she wants to get a Boob Job instead.As fun as that sounds, I still think I would get to play with the jeep more.She laughed when I told her that, but I don't think she thought it was very funny.... :) Lee

#5 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:51 AM

That is really nice looking! Looking forward to some trail pics!

#6 thebeast64ol

thebeast64ol

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:35 PM

Thanks guys! Are any of you jeepers? I really cant wait to see how this affects my hunting ground choices. Ill now have access to MANY more options than I did with my Explorer and even my dads Chevy 2500 4x4. Now he'll come with me instead of me coming with him :smiley_green_with_envy:

#7 Mick17

Mick17

Varmint Hunter

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:I love shooting all types of guns and hunting. I shoot and reload for my shotgun, my .45, and my .223. I love deer hunting ,but there aren't very many deer these days. I really enjoy Coyote hunting. It's very exciting calling in a wild animal. I also try to practice with my .45's as much as I can. I am a member of the NRA and the CRPA.

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:44 PM

Alright I'm Jealous...... :signs653wf: I had planned to finally pick up a Jeep this year with my Tax Return, but the ole lady told me she wants to get a Boob Job instead.As fun as that sounds, I still think I would get to play with the jeep more.She laughed when I told her that, but I don't think she thought it was very funny.... :crazy: Lee

LEE------you're going to get in trouble one of these days especially if she reads CPC. Like SJ said too...I miss my CJ-5 ,too. It was beautiful.
"Life's tough-It's even tougher if your stupid"--John Wayne

#8 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:27 PM

Alright I'm Jealous...... :crazy: I had planned to finally pick up a Jeep this year with my Tax Return, but the ole lady told me she wants to get a Boob Job instead.As fun as that sounds, I still think I would get to play with the jeep more.She laughed when I told her that, but I don't think she thought it was very funny.... ;) Lee

Lee, you'll get better mileage, wear and tear out of a jeep than you would with her fake ta tas! :signs653wf: Just tell her she'd have more fun bouncing her real ones in a jeep than admiring her tight new ones in the bathroom mirror.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#9 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:39 PM

:crazy: :signs653wf: ;) Thats good stuff right there.Congrats again on your new Sahara, BeastI'm sure you'll put it to real good use.Lee

#10 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,712 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:05 PM

Nice going and it looks half way camoed already.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#11 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:11 PM

Thanks SJ!! Its awesome! Ive already taken it off road and its handled everything Ive thrown it at. Maybe some of the other Socal Jeep owners on here can show me some real trails. :signs653wf:

Be careful what you wish for. Just because you have a Jeep now doesn't mean it can take you anywhere you want to go. How much 4wheelin' experience do you have? Have you gone over your jeeps drivetrain to make sure it's sound? Do you have plans for a winch? This is one piece of equipment you should get before venturing out too far from civilization. Are you willing to get dents and scratches on you jeep in order to have fun? If you answered "NO" to the last question, stick to county maintained, dirt roads. I see that you're up in Fullerton. There are several 4x4 driving classes held up in Gorman ranging from beginner level to advanced level. My Rubicon and me have been to several moderate to advanced classes and it will definitely make you a better offroader and show you what your jeep is capable of and it's limits. When you're ready to take on a trail your jeep was built for, I have a trail down in the desert that I take new jeep owners to. It's called Lower Coyote Canyon which leads to, you guessed it, Upper Coyote Canyon. The Upper being the rock crawling section. Again, be careful what you wish for. Some clown might take you somewhere you can't come back from.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#12 thebeast64ol

thebeast64ol

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:59 PM

I would consider myself to be a pretty good offroad driver, my dad and I have been to some places in his full-sized pickup that most people don't attempt in their jeeps. And yes, a winch and lockers are on the agenda but I just have to get some money saved up for them. I'm going to go with OX lockers and probably a warn winch, but a smittybilt may be better for my wallet. Lol. Is your trail better suited for rigs with 35s and 4.5-6 in lifts? Because if that is the case, I probably won't be ready for it for a long, long, long time. I don't really plan on going that route.

#13 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:33 PM

Alright I'm Jealous...... :lol: I had planned to finally pick up a Jeep this year with my Tax Return, but the ole lady told me she wants to get a Boob Job instead.As fun as that sounds, I still think I would get to play with the jeep more.She laughed when I told her that, but I don't think she thought it was very funny.... :roflmao3[1]: Lee

I think we are all waiting for the picks of your new ride.

#14 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:01 PM

Is your trail better suited for rigs with 35s and 4.5-6 in lifts? Because if that is the case, I probably won't be ready for it for a long, long, long time. I don't really plan on going that route.

No, you don't need 35's and a big lift kit. I've taken guys that had completely stock jeeps up that trail. Big tires and lift kits help to keep rocks and other obstacles from hitting vital areas, but if you know where to put your tires, and drive slow enough over the obstacles, you'll be fine. Actually, jeeps with 35's and big lift kits are more prone to roll overs due to their center of gravity being severely pushed upwards. Another thing those big tires do is alter your turning radius. I put that to a demonstration not too long ago using a guys stock '06 Wrangler with 31's against my jeep with 33's and 4" lift. We both turned our steering wheels all the way to the left, made a complete circle, then the same to the right. The stock jeep tracked almost 18" shorter than mine. The combination of the 2" larger tires and the altered suspension geometry accounted for those 18 inches. 18" might not be a lot to some but it's the difference between placing my tire on an important rock and missing it and dropping the tire in between rocks and busting an axle. You have a big decision when deciding to lift or not. Lifts look cool and sometimes helps but they also cause accelerated and excessive wear and tear on your drivetrain.Oh, and there's nothing wrong with a Smittybilt winch! My jeep is on it's 3rd winch and its' a Smittybilt. My first winch was a Warn (way too much mula), then I went to a Mile Marker. All my winches have been in the 10,000lb pulling range. Some say it's overkill for a jeep but I can pull my jeep out of any hole I find myself in. Can't say how the frame will look but I'll get myself out. It also comes in handy during the winter when city folks like to drive up to the mountains and play in the snow then find out they're stuck. For a few bucks, I'll pull them out or they can call a tow truck for alot of bucks. Let me know if you want to go and I'll schedule a run for you and some others but we'll have to make it before it gets hot and the Park rangers close off the trails.

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:17 PM

I had planned to finally pick up a Jeep this year with my Tax Return, but the ole lady told me she wants to get a Boob Job instead.As fun as that sounds, I still think I would get to play with the jeep more.

Well Lee you know the old saying, "If you don't have pics it never happened." So we'll be waiting. :lol:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#16 thebeast64ol

thebeast64ol

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:19 PM

Alright then! Once I get my winch, lets hit that trail. I have an LSD in the rear and Im a pretty good driver. I think that I can tackle this trail with some spotting help from you.

#17 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:25 PM

No problem. We'll get some other guys like Jawbreaker to come as well. We'll have a mini-CPC meet and greet.

#18 thebeast64ol

thebeast64ol

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:30 PM

Sounds good! Its out in Anza right? Maybe we should camp a night at Tamarisk Grove or something.

#19 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:07 PM

I think we are all waiting for the picks of your new ride.

Well Lee you know the old saying, "If you don't have pics it never happened." So we'll be waiting. :signgreatreport3kg:

Here you guys go...... My New "Ride"Posted Image

#20 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:59 PM

Damn! That's funny!!! :lol: :(

#21 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:04 PM

Sounds good! Its out in Anza right? Maybe we should camp a night at Tamarisk Grove or something.

It's in the Anza park but if you want to camp out, it would be better to drive to Ocotillo Wells OHV park and camp there. There won't be any fire restrictions there and we could go up and travel the "Goat Trail" at night before turning in. It's a RUSH at night!!! I don't know how much off roading you've done at night but everything is different and it's a new ball game.

#22 thebeast64ol

thebeast64ol

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:39 AM

Here are some not so poser-ish pics. But we didnt get any pics from when I was climbing the dry creek and its 3 ft waterfalls because we were just cruising, not stopping.Enjoy!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#23 yotekiller85

yotekiller85

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Fishing and spending time with my Family.

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:48 PM

Here is a pic of my 97 Sahara still fixing it up. But it has had plenty of blood in the back.Attached File  040.JPG   37.48KB   13 downloadsAttached File  022.JPG   53.01KB   11 downloadsAttached File  030.JPG   58.05KB   17 downloads
I LIVE TO HUNT AND HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

#24 teamhirev

teamhirev

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:56 AM

Love your Jeep I have the same exact jeep as you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy... I live in Anaheim we should get together sometime and take an off road trip some time.Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 thebeast64ol

thebeast64ol

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:13 AM

Yes you do!!!! But you have the hard doors and hard top. I dont :-( Yea we should! A little bit earlier in the thread we were talking about going to Anza and doing some trails down there. When we go, you should come.

#26 teamhirev

teamhirev

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:21 AM

Yeah for sure. If you ever need any help with anything let me know.

#27 thebeast64ol

thebeast64ol

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:27 AM

Awesome! Thank you so much. Im planning on doing a shackle reversal in the very near future so I will definitely hit you up for that. When big bear dries up we should go hit some of those trails. Ive only ever heard good things.

#28 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:42 PM

I have a great spot right here in North San Diego county that is much closer than Anza but a road trip is always fun. I will be finishing up a project that I'm working on in a couple of weeks and will put together a trip for the members to a good off road spot. I will get a thread going today.

#29 thebeast64ol

thebeast64ol

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:47 PM

Cool man. Sounds good. I'll be on the look out for the thread.

#30 onepercent

onepercent

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, offroading, 4x4 wheeling, atv's, camping, surfing, snowboarding, re-loading, Harley's.

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:32 PM

nice rig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users