40 replies to this topic

#1 moua1983

moua1983

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:55 AM

i have a ruger gp100 4inch .357 mag, as a sidearm when hunting. what factory load is most effective of stopping a black bear in case my 30-06 doesn't stop it in it's tracks?i was thinking about getting a .44 mag? should i or just keep the .357? thinks for the info!!

#2 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:25 AM

Are you talking about Cally Black Bears? The 357 mag is plenty with most of the available store bought stuff.

#3 sum-rifle

sum-rifle

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:28 PM

If it does not go down at the shot with the 30-06 shoot it again with the 30-06.If it is down and you are making a finishing shot the .357 is probably more than enough.

#4 moua1983

moua1983

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:48 PM

i'm talking about cali black bears, what would be the best factory ammo.

#5 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:08 AM

the 06 will do just fine,

#6 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:10 AM

... now if u want to buy a 44 mag before kali out laws them next year that is a good choice too....

What's this about? What law is this?

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,656 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:06 AM

What law did I miss? :lol: :roflmao3[1]:

#8 moua1983

moua1983

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:22 AM

what law you talking about rude robert? if the 44 mag is going to be banned i'll just have to buy 44.

#9 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:40 PM

lol sorry, i was kind of being funny. with the micro stamping and cases identification junk they are tring to pass is what i was referring to. gun companies will not sell to cali

#10 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:41 PM

suppose to take effect in 2010?

#11 lepcur

lepcur

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Bear hunting
    Hunting preds.
    Bird shoothing

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:07 PM

Best bet, hit em again with the 06.

#12 Brokehunter530

Brokehunter530

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:04 PM

For hunting or bear defense with a .357 magnum Buffalo Bore and Double Tap ammo are your best bets. Double Tap-Bullet: 180gr. Wide Flat Nose Gas Check HardcastVelocity: 1300fps / 4" Ruger GP-100 muzzle Energy: 676 ft. lbs. Bullet: 200gr. Wide Flat Nose Gas Check HardcastVelocity: 1200fps / 4" Ruger GP-100 Muzzle Energy: 640 ft. lbs. Buffalo Bore-180 gr. L.F.N. -G.C. (1,400fps/M.E. 783 ft. lbs.)

#13 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:33 AM

I carry a sidearm when hunting bear(s), but have seldom used it as I have never really gotten close enough on a downed or wounded bear and I'll tell you why :smiley_kewlpics: -- every bear I have shot I have waited several minutes or even up to an hour before I even approach a bear I've taken. I wait it out until I know it has expired. On the occasion where I have wounded a bear - like the one in '06 - I approached the bear with a wide swath (at least 30-40yards) to watch for movement, etc. That bear in particular did get up after knowing I was there charged down a small, narrow canyon - 30yds wide with granite on each side and I was on one side of that canyon. Scared the bejebus out of me, but we were able to take a 40yd shot when it layed down. hit it in the head with the final shot from my nephews .25-06. I guess having my sidearm was more of a security item, but when you already have your rifle in your hands and a wounded bear charges, then your quickest reaction is just to throw another slug at him from your rifle... my $.02

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,656 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:52 AM

If any animal gets hold of you the side arm can come in handy for putting yourself out of your misery. :smiley_kewlpics:

#15 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:14 AM

LMAO! That it true John.

#16 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:27 PM

suppose to take effect in 2010?

The Micro stamping Law only effects the California "Safe" handgun list. It will only apply to Auto-Loading handguns (not revolvers) not already on the list and thats only if the technology is sound and readily available which at present it isn't.It like the rest of the "safe" handgun list will not apply to a Personal Handgun Importer, or Person to Person Transfers.while the idea of a "safe" gun list seemed to be a good Idea, it was originally a dirty attempt at eliminating "Cheap" handguns and put gun manufactures like Davis, Lorcin, Bryco ect. out of business which it failed to do so as their guns passed. It has since been used as a form of back door gun banning. To be honest the magazine disconnect Safety and Loaded chamber 2003 addition means very few new handgun designs will be sold in California to private citizens. If Microstamping does actually take effect it will only further limit you on what newly designed or redesigned Semi-Auto Handguns you can purchase from an FFL.Here is a good fAQhttp://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=81127The "Safe" handgun list is another perfect example of why politicians should never be allowed to wright a law concerning a subject they know nothing about. eventually handgun laws will become so convoluted and fowled that people will loose their lives as a result of their firearm failing at a critical time or because of the firearms exploding in a catastrophic failure Due to legislative interference in firearm design. Creating "UNSAFE" firearms in the quest for more gun "Control" under the cover of gun "Safety",

#17 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:14 AM

A old friend of mine has a bear skull that his father shot with a .357. It was a long time ago that I saw it but if I remember correctly it put a large hole in one side of the bears head.

#18 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:55 AM

Why do you guys bother with bringing a side arm bear hunting? All you need to do is bring a buddy that can't run as fast as you and you're covered.

#19 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:21 AM

I heard it said many times that if you're going to bring a sidearm when bear hunting be sure to file of the iron sights.That way it wont hurt so bad when the bear shoves it where the sun don't shine! :signs1180lq:

#20 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,656 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:34 PM

I heard that works with gunslingers too. :roflmao3[1]:

#21 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:03 AM

Just leave the 357 at home. Use the 30-06 and shoot more if needed. I shot one very large 15.5 year old boar with my 44mag and killed it with one shot. However it was treed by dogs and I shot it in the eye. I could have used almost any firearm with that shot. I did shhot another bear while carring out a deer one year. We had a difference of opinion as to who owned the deer. A 357 would not have been much good but 3 shots(quickly) of a 30-06 did prove that the deer was mine. However I can tell you that the 30-06 seemed quite small when he stood up on his back legs. I was thinking that a 155mm would have been more of a comfort then. I quite using a 357 on deer after a bad expierence with it. The 44mag has been good for deer etc for me but if I am walking alot I will not carry it as well as a rifle.Made the big boar into a rug and it covers a queen size bed. Great looking long black hair and worn down claws etc.

#22 Dmbrown34

Dmbrown34

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:55 PM

Remember a bear weights usually around 180lbs - 250 lbs. Doesnt that sound a lot like the weight of a big deer?Nobody has problems using a .243 with a deer. Thats all you need for a black bear as well. Granted, you can come across a trophy black weighting over 400lbs - a bigger gun would be nice. However tons of blacks have gone down with what most would consider "small" guns. .357 and a '06 are huge weapons and will be more than enough with factory loads. The only thing you should worry about is if you factory loads are legal in the hunting area (lead can not be used in many parts of CA).PS - if you are going to tell me that a 243 has problems with deer, you may want to invest some time at the range.

#23 msand951

msand951

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:18 PM

Why do you guys bother with bringing a side arm bear hunting? All you need to do is bring a buddy that can't run as fast as you and you're covered.

Lol thats funny, I need to be aware of that, if my brother in law invites me to hunt bear. Newbie question: So do you guys carry a sidearm when you hunt or leave them at home. I was thinking of carrying one when i go out. I have 38 super 1911 colt, a 45 1911, 357. i can pick from .

#24 Epick

Epick

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:Uni cycling, wight-lifting, airguns, cars, etc etc

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:20 PM

idk about blacks, but if you go for grizzly, take the .357 and one bullet... for yourself

#25 msand951

msand951

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:10 PM

Have you seen this bear in Alaska.http://www.southeast...izzly-bear.html

#26 Epick

Epick

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:25 PM

that thing is huge, even if it was "only 10 feet"

#27 msand951

msand951

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:55 PM

so what about carrying bear spray.

#28 sum-rifle

sum-rifle

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:22 PM

After a number of attacks on hikers and campers in Alaska, the Department of Fish & Game released the following advisory: We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear. It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between Black Bear and Grizzly Bear droppings. Black bear droppings are smaller and contain lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in it and smell like pepper.

#29 Epick

Epick

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:48 PM

^^that ones classic, i love it

#30 outdoorsguy29

outdoorsguy29

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:54 PM

I, too have a .357 and would add that either Garrett or Buffalo Bore ammo would do the job. 154 gr. hp or Buffaloe Bore 154 gr. hc (hardcast) ammo. I'm told hard cast will go through the shoulder bone, the heart & exit the other shoulder. Breaking both shoulders should count for something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users