#1 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:42 PM

So I hear Garmin is the best. Which one for the type of hunting we do ?I'd like to keep the cost under $250.00.

#2 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:45 PM

Search this forum, there was the same topic not too long ago that had a bunch of good info on it.

#3 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

I sold my Magellan Roadmate 2000 Saturday.GPSs are nice,but think I'll stick to a map and compass.
The old calibers and guns got the job doneKeep reloading-We may need it

#4 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:59 PM

Why did you sell it ?

#5 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:00 AM

Earthmate but it will cost more then 200$ its hard to learn but it was rated overall best in class by most magazines
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#6 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:28 AM

I think it actually depends on what you want. Lots of cool color graphics out there to buy on some GPS's. But there is also lots of good topographic information on a 1:24,000 map quadrangle. Like .45 Colt, I'll take a folded up map in my pack and a Silva compass around my neck or in a shirt pocket. I do carry a bushnell back tracker which is GPS based, it is a great piece of equipment for around $60 bucks. Check it out....http://www.bushnell....cktrack/360053/

#7 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:06 AM

Why did you sell it ?

Originally,bought it for the trip to Montana.Around September 7,2007,had an accident which resultedin not going at all.Happened on Saturday.Was to leave on Monday.BTW,the guy turned (left turn) in front of me.A failure to yield to the right of way.2 vehicles passed me going beyond 35 MPH.I was doing 35 on the nose.He didn't see me when I "T boned" him.No points taken off my record.The GPS sat around collecting dust.Figured someone else could make use of it.So out the door it went.
The old calibers and guns got the job doneKeep reloading-We may need it

#8 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:53 AM

I think it actually depends on what you want. Lots of cool color graphics out there to buy on some GPS's. But there is also lots of good topographic information on a 1:24,000 map quadrangle. Like .45 Colt, I'll take a folded up map in my pack and a Silva compass around my neck or in a shirt pocket. I do carry a bushnell back tracker which is GPS based, it is a great piece of equipment for around $60 bucks. Check it out....http://www.bushnell....cktrack/360053/

I've got 1:24,000 topo maps on my Garmin Oregon, but it cost a hell of alot more than $200! The Garmin 60cx is one of the top rated hunting GPS's out there, but unless you buy used it is over your budget also...

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#9 yoteblaster

yoteblaster

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Huntin' yotes, Huntin', fishin', Atv'n, Campin', shootin'Military history

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:40 PM

I got an older Garmin Street Pilot C550 paid a little more bcuz it was older but better features at the time, love it use it all the time. What ever you get make sure it is what you want. Spend the money but like the above reader suggested, keep a thomas guide ready, never count on them with all your heart. Maps and compasses worked for all these years master that first and keep the GPS for back up...lol Good luck just my two cents...
SEMPER FI - It means... Always Faithful! Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap - life is expensive.

#10 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

I have had a Lowrance XOG for a few years and I just bought a Garmin Nuvi 500 for on and off-road use. The battery in the Lowrance crapped out and they wanted $150.00 to change the battery. They would not just sell me the battery. So naturally, I took it apart, ordered a 3.7 v 900 mAH battery from another source ($5.25) and I'll have that puppy working again in short order.The Lowrance off-road maps were great. I hope the Garmin is as good. We shall see. I called Garmin, told them what I do (hunting & off-road) and they steered me to that unit.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#11 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:56 PM

Garmin 60CSX here with citymap software. It's awesome for off-road, even marine use; and with the citymap software, it's usable just like the ones found in new vehicles. But it'll cost you more like $550-$600 with the citymap software.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#12 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:36 PM

If I was buying one for hiking/hunting I'd get the 60csx. Just a tad over your budget:http://www.amazon.co...n...4420&sr=1-5
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#13 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:52 PM

Thanks CPC members Amazon .com has much better prices then any one else. Been reading up on those German 60 cx

#14 FresnoHunter

FresnoHunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:49 AM

Thanks CPC members Amazon .com has much better prices then any one else. Been reading up on those German 60 cx

Wish I saw this thread sooner, could have helped you out. Cabelas had the Garmin 60 CSX for about $200 recently. I was in the Reno store last week and they had them there. Website for Cabelas shows them as sold out now.

#15 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:38 PM

Love the Garmin 60Csx units. However, my new unit is my Android phone using Back Country Navigator. Cost me $10 and it rocks!!!Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,485 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:51 PM

What if your phone says NO SIGNAL? :good:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#17 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:42 PM

What if your phone says NO SIGNAL? :good:

I have downloaded the offline maps. That way no signal is required! All the maps are free. High res topos as well as color USGS aerial maps. And since it is on an SD card, lots of room and no moving parts to have problems with temperatures.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#18 Rick

Rick

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:52 AM

What if your phone says NO SIGNAL? :roflmao3[1]:

Excellent point S.J. My old Magellan Meridian Platinum GPS has got me back to my vehicle or campsite after following tracks or a wounded animal more than once. Things like night fall, fog, rolling sand dunes, thick brush/trees, etc., etc., off the beaten trails and in wide open public hunting areas make it easy for human error to play a big part in disorientation. I also use my topos and compass like many others for planning and location of areas.Happy Hunting,Rick :roflmao3[1]:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users