• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

How do I start off this post... At noon today I decided to work on tuning the .25 Marauder I just purchased. While shooting, every once in a while I would notice that the bolt would have a difficult time going in. This puzzled me since I've never had this issue with my .22 Marauder. After this reoccured around 4 times, I decided to try and figure out what the problem was. After examining many of the parts I noticed something in the breech opening. Upon closer inspection I saw the O-Ring was in the breech. I pulled it out and it was torn to ribbons! :o It appears that the previous owner put way too much moly past or grease on the bolt and it had worked it's way onto the O-ring, causing some sort of friction and tearing it in the process. :1087: Well, needless to say I decided to disassemble the Marauder which was probably a good thing. I found other adjustments that had been made that were causing other minor issues (like the clips being way to hard to insert and some screws that were either way too tight or too loose). I looked up some information and found that the breech O-ring is a 1/4" inner diameter x 3/8" outer diameter x 1/16" size, which is a #5 size O-ring. I immediately went to my local Ace Hardware and they only had two left in stock, so I purchased them both. Upon arriving back home I inserted the O-ring and cleaned the parts and only lubed the parts that were supposed to be mildly lubed and reassembled the Marauder. After that the Marauder seemed to be back to normal again. :D So I pump it up and start shooting again. I shoot about (4) clips and when I go to pump the Marauder up, my Benjamin Hand Pump starts acting really weird! :P I look up some additional information on the Hand Pump and find a thread with all kinds of people who have had the same problem with the Hand Pump in the past. :014: I found out that for some dumb reason there is one particular O-ring that always goes bad. It is a #007 O-ring. At this time it's already 5pm. Uuuggghhh! :P What a crappy day! :014: So I rush over to my local O'Rielly's Auto Parts store and ask them if they have any O-rings. The young guy at the counter comes back with a box and BINGO! They had some #007 O-rings. Fantastic! I purchased (6) so that when this happens again (it seems it's inevitable) I'll have them on hand to fix it quickly. So I replace the O-ring and reassemble the pump. It's now working like it did before the issue. :D That about sums up my afternoon. A bunch of hands on rebuilding of my .25 Marauder and my Benjiman Hand Pump. I hope they both are malfunction free for a while. I think I'm going to start saving up for a carbon fiber tank. This pump going bad thing will get old fast! One thing I can say is that I now know a whole lot more about how both operate than I did this morning. I guess that's worth something. :014: Now if anyone on here has a questions about either, there is a good chance I might beable to answer it. :lol:

#2 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:40 PM

Terrific real life information.I don't have one of these super air rifles...but I go to the Home Depot two or three times each weekend.I feel your pain...however mine was Xmas house lights...but still experience the same "up and down".Xmas to Hades! :014:

#3 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

Yea - A Marauder .25 you shoot a lot is really borderline for a handpump.

I'm an airgunholic

#4 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

Terrific real life information.I don't have one of these super air rifles...but I go to the Home Depot two or three times each weekend.I feel your pain...however mine was Xmas house lights...but still experience the same "up and down".Xmas to Hades! :014:

Yeah... and they say this is the"Most wonderful time of the year". Maybe for the businesses :P.

#5 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:55 PM

It wouldn't be bad for normal use. However, while tuning I've already gone through about 250 rounds just today alone! I have it right about where I wanted it just before I had to take it apart and now it's not quite as fast as it was. I don't know what I did, but its hitting about 10 to 15 FPS slower now. Uuugghh! I wish someone who tuned these Marauders all the time lived close by me so I could just go over, tweak the rifle a little and be good to go. :P For now I'm just banging my head on the desk trying to get the numbers where I know they can be. :014:

#6 havoc

havoc

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:small game hunting, hiking, mountain biking, amateur radio

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:17 PM

Yea - A Marauder .25 you shoot a lot is really borderline for a handpump.

I agree, I used a handpump on my disco without any problems. I only used the pump a few times on the .25 MROD before I started shoping for a carbon fiber tank. I too have had to change the oring. I got some real hard ones from Tim at Mac1. It was a bear to get in the breach but has held up well. Have fun with that Mrod!

#7 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:19 PM

Hi Havoc, I saw one of your posts from a while back and saw that your .25 Marauder was shooting pretty fast. I was wondering what your setting were if you remember what they are? I'm trying to tune this monster and I'm having a tough time getting it to be where I want. I feel like I'm jumping through hoops but never reaching the last hoop right now :good: . Any help would be greatly appreciated. :(

#8 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:25 PM

Well, just started trying to chrony this beast again and noticed that the new O-Ring is starting to tear a bit. I've turned it a little and I put some Crosman Silicone Oil on the end of the bolt where it contacts the Breech O-Ring. Now it slides in like butter! Before, the grease made it worse. Using it dry was still bad. But using Silicone Oil is just right! I'll see how long it works smoothly. I'll probably have to make sure and use the silicone oil after every tin of pellets to ensure it's well lubed. I'm still struggling with the shot strings though. Here's the latest from this morning using the Benji Domes:Starting PSI: 2975Shot #1-819.3, #2-808.1, #3-814.9, #4-817.5, #5-828.5, #6-833.7, #7-828.4, #8-834.3, #9-838.2, #10-822.5, #11-831.2, #12-832.0, #13-828.69, #14-822.4,#824.9, #16-826.8Ending PSI: 2400Low: 808.7 High: 838.2 Avg: 825.7 ES: 30.05 SD: 7.93 Average FPE: 42.1Rats! I know I had it way up higher just before I started having problems with the breech O-Ring! The last shot string before the problem was at 850 Average FPS with the Benji Domes. I have no idea what I did that has caused the drop. I suppose I'll have to try adjusting a little more. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users