#1 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:26 PM

Any shooting sticks I've ever seen or tried seem to share a common problem if my target doesn't show up where I'm expecting it to be. Sticks and tripods are great for stalk-and-shoot hunting but frustrating on a stand. When I set up a stand, whether I'm sitting on the dirt, or using a folding stool, there is no easy way to pivot if my target suddenly appears outside the angle that the sticks comfortably allow. In other words, I'll guess where I think/hope a coyote will present himself, then set the sticks and seat accordingly, but if my target is outside the comfortable angle that the sticks let me cover, I have to either lean and twist to an unsteady position or quickly and quietly lift and reposition the sticks and rifle to make the shot. I don't want to make all that movement when a coyote is right out there in view. And if I'm on uneven, sloping terrain, the legs of the bipod sticks might not fit the slope or cause me to take my eyes off the target to get the sticks in a new position. Bad news.I found these videos for bipod shooting sticks that can be used in the normal way OR used like a mono-pod with the foot supported by a 'pouch' at the shooter's crotch. The video makes it look like the shooter can easily pivot while maintaining support of his rifle. No need to lift and replant the bipod sticks as you turn to face the target coming in at the periphery of your view. http://www.bipodshoo...icks.com/TV.mpgMy question is whether anybody has actually seen or used this particular type of shooting sticks? How well do they work in real field conditions, especially on a hillside? Second question is whether this configuration sends the recoil down in the "family jewels"?! Ouch.

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:34 PM

I tried them at a gun show. They were not stabile enough standing up with your body as the support for elevation. The guy is real slick demoing them but he doesn't hold the gun in position long enough to detect that it bobs up and down. My regular bipod sticks swivel side to side.

#3 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for that input. The video seemed to be too slick and fast for a good demo and I wondered what it was not showing. There are several good sticks that swivel or pivot but it seems like, without moving the sticks, the shooter needs to shift himself around the sticks as he pivots left or right. OR must move the sticks.

#4 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:30 PM

We need a sky hook or a GE minigun turret. :-)

#5 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:03 PM

I shoot right handed and when that situation arises, I grab the stcks at the crossing point and lift it up rifle and all. You can then shift it a foot or so to either side to get a shot. My Stix are the Varmint Al type.

#6 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:53 PM

Me, too, and mine are a modified version of the Varmint Al sticks. "A+" for simple and practical and cheap! When the ground is even and there isn't a lot of brush at my feet, moving them is not a real problem other than being an extra action that might make a coyote look my way. However, I spend very little time on flat terrain (that's why the "Mountain Dog" alias) and it seems like there is usually stubborn brush and rocks and loose sand in front of me that have to be accommodated when I replant the poles. It's not as though this ever ruins my day. I'm just working on my bucket list of little nuisances that might be fixable or might help others on this forum.

#7 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:51 PM

I agree MtnDog.. In fact I had discussed using them rather than my Bipods when hunting with DaBob. First stand, I took them and didnt use them. My mistake. With the coyotes up above us I could have gotton into a better position by leaving the sticks "had I been using them" in front of me, and rolling to the side and shooting with one elbow for support. The bipods caused much more movement and discomfort for a better shot. Im rethinking the Bipods, and maybe just going back to the sticks.

#8 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fly fishing, kitebugging, photography, astronomy, hot springing, looking at as many beautiful women as possible.

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:54 PM

? Are you shooting at coyote size critters at 100 yards or less? Or are you taking 150+ yard shots? Good ol sitting position has worked for a long long time. Why is it that everybody thinks they need a shooting stick for called in coyotes? Just more commercial poop to buy and haul around...Walt

#9 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:20 PM

sit sideways to the area that you want to cover.have your off shoulder pointed at the one extreme,face the other and Wala! you can swing to cover the WHOLE thing.

#10 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:55 PM

Walt and Eric.. Great points!

#11 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:26 AM

All of my years of hunting large game or predators I have never used any of the above and was very successful

#12 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:29 AM

? Are you shooting at coyote size critters at 100 yards or less? Or are you taking 150+ yard shots? Good ol sitting position has worked for a long long time. Why is it that everybody thinks they need a shooting stick for called in coyotes? Just more commercial poop to buy and haul around...Walt

Yup...I agree.But, I usually carry sticks with me. Certain times they come in handy. Mine are el cheapos made from two home depot dowels and tied together with a boot lace, about a 5 dollar investment. I actually like these type the best. For uneven ground you can pull up one side, if you need them longer slide the lace up etc. When they are convienent to use and get setup on without a lot of movement I'll use them. But the majority of times I still shoot stuff like Walt said, seated with elbows on knees. I've watched guys scare off real easy shots trying to get their sticks repositioned...people rely way too much on them.

#13 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:50 AM

I agree with Walt too. You should be able to lock up nice and steady in a proper sitting position.

#14 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:16 AM

Hard to argue with the great opinions that have been posted. Thanks, gentlemen. :lol: I was curious about the sticks in the videos for their simplicity, however, becoming more proficient WITHOUT any sticks is the best solution.

#15 lif2fsh

lif2fsh

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:04 PM

Practice practice practice, would not even think of coyote hunting with out shooting sticks, not to mention big game. I feel i work way to hard to blow a shot.. :wacko:

#16 PBM

PBM

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Cycle riding-got a Vstar 1100. My wife says I like to remodel our house.

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:44 PM

New version of sticks to help out with the problem of the target not being where you want it. The vertical stick has a long enough spike in it to hold the unit up by itself and to adjust the horizontal level. It has it's cons, but it's my first attempt and seems to work well enough. It still folds up nicely and is easy to carry.Attached File  1.jpg   35.47KB   20 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   30.59KB   20 downloadsAttached File  3.jpg   27.63KB   18 downloads

#17 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:01 PM

Nice effort, PBM. How about taping a video showing how you use these and move to line up a target? Even better if you can show them in a real hunting scene. From your photos alone, I can't visualize how these are different, better or worse than the two-legged sticks we all love to curse.

#18 PBM

PBM

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Cycle riding-got a Vstar 1100. My wife says I like to remodel our house.

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:11 PM

The added horizontal bar gives you about 2 more feet of a shooting rest. If a yote shows up a little to the right of where it's expected, just raise your rifle up and set it back down on the horizontal bar where needed.

#19 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:47 AM

would not even think of coyote hunting with out shooting sticks, not to mention big game. I feel i work way to hard to blow a shot.

Exactly... I totally agreeWhile there is no perfect way of doing this, I personally have seen wayyyy more misses without stix than with them. Including very close distances. Not just long shots. I've seen blown shots with the stix, but not near as many without. With that said, there ARE some really good off hand, sitting shooters out there. But I, and from what I've seen, LOTS of folks are not. Try this. Take your shooting stix to the range and shoot a couple of 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Now do it in the sitting (or standing) position without bi-pods or shooting stix. Prone position not included btw! This may help in one's decision as to how much a shooting rest is needed. Maybe? lolFrank

#20 BearWhoHunts

BearWhoHunts

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:I am into foraging of all kinds. Hunting for game is just one aspect. Every time I am out in the back country I am looking for edible, useful and medicinal flora and fauna. I am also constantly working on survival skills. Hunted as a boy for squirrel, rabbit and some upland birds. I am a farmer by trade and I work for an organic farm founded on ethical work practices.

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:04 PM

I am with you 100% Frank (and most everyone else). The other day we were shooting ground squirrels during a lunch break and none of us had sticks. One of the guys had a tent in the truck and we fabricated makeshift sticks out of them which immediately reformed the non-stick users in the group. The missed shots were reduced significantly!! I have used the sitting position for years but after trying sticks I was set in my ways!BTW: the tent poles were great as the elastic in them made it really easy to swing the rifle from side to side but also provided adequate support. I will most certainly utilize the tent poles in a pinch in the future.Happy Hunting,Bear

#21 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:28 PM

I've been considering the Bog Gear bi-pod or the Stoney point rapid pivot bipod. Hopefully these will help with all my misses. :archer-green:

#22 Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:23 PM

I use a Primos trigger stick. It is a mono stick with a strap for the gun and I just pick up the whole thing and adjust with the trigger. I like it .----------kevin---------

#23 DAVEF

DAVEF

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:ATV'S, Exploring, Camping, Fishing, Hunting

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:45 PM

http://www.youtube.c...feature=relatedI made a set of shooting sticks yesterday....took less that 5 minutes and cost $4.51.............check out the vid above, I may add some surgical tubing to them at the top so you could pick up the sticks like in the first post (video) of this thread.DAVEF

#24 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:35 AM

Now you're talking! Nice sticks.As I mentioned earlier in this thread, those are exactly like the ones I make except mine are wooden dowels and I dont use the castration bands...just the dowels and a boot lace. Yep...about 5 bucks, cheap and effective. They usually last damn near forever or until I forget them somewhere. They also work good as a tail stripper. Obviously shooting off sticks is much steadier than shooting with elbows off knees...which in turn is steadier than offhand. Then again, shooting off sandbags is steadier than all. You'll definitely shoot better groups with any kind of rest... but for coyote hunting, where alot of the shots are 50-75 yards, do you really need a super steady rest? If so, definitely use some sticks.

#25 dubious

dubious

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:02 AM

I fashioned some improvised sticks from one of my tent poles crossed over itself. I was amazed how well it worked! The elastic cords inside really help reduce the weight on the support hand and create a dynamic shooting position. It feels like the rifle is floating. My tent was on its last legs so I decided to do something else with the poles :)Sorry no photos yet but I made this handi diagram:

Attached Files

#26 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:41 AM

shooting off sandbags is steadier than all.

Yeah, but, where would they go... on the knees? Is a cement bench also needed? Would a cart be needed to haul the bench with? I assume an electric cart, being quieter and all ?YIKES, sometimes this predator hunting (fluffy) stuff can get soooooo complicated :sport037fn4:

#27 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:49 AM

I'll just use a rail gun and hope they walk in front of it. :sport037fn4:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users