• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 So. Cal Stag

So. Cal Stag

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Duck hunting, dove hunting, quail hunting, predator hunting, fishing, recreational shooting, anything outdoors. Starting to get into skulls.

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:55 AM

Got a starter kit from http://www.dermestidbeetlecolonies.com earlier this year. The colony is doing great. Here are a couple skulls I've donePosted Imagefrom my first predator kills I made this year.Posted Imagemy first bobcat.Posted Imagejackrabbit.Got a mule deer and a boar I'm doing for my taxidermist. Also a couple bobcats for a friend. Will post pictures when their done.

#2 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:07 AM

Those look awesome! Can't believe how white they are. I think that's the first time I've seen a rabbit skull done. Very well done.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#3 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:22 PM

Looking good man! How long from the point out of the beetles to completion? It's hard to tell, but you may have some grease left in that bobcat (upper front jawline) and the coyote (upper jawline near rear teeth and lower jaw). You'll know in a few months if it comes through. Be prepared for the boar to take 6-8 months to be grease free. You can check my stuff out via the links in my sig line. I've also got a thread in this section going as well (there's even a rabbit posted on it!). I've got answers if you need assistance with anything.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#4 So. Cal Stag

So. Cal Stag

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Duck hunting, dove hunting, quail hunting, predator hunting, fishing, recreational shooting, anything outdoors. Starting to get into skulls.

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:42 PM

Thanks guys. These were the first skulls I've done. Kinda just winged it. Took about 3 weeks once out of the beetles. Got a little impatient. The bobcat came out o.k. in my opinion but I think I'm going to touch up the coyote. I just built a hot tank about a month ago and that seems to be helping alot. Gonna toss the yote back in for a month. The mule deer has been in for about 2 weeks. Looks like it might take another month. See how it goes. Its definitely a waiting game. :smiley_green_with_envy:

#5 So. Cal Stag

So. Cal Stag

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:48 PM

It's hard to tell, but you may have some grease left in that bobcat (upper front jawline) and the coyote (upper jawline near rear teeth and lower jaw). You'll know in a few months if it comes through.

How long till the grease comes through? Finished these a few months ago. I sealed the bobcat and it still looks the same. I didn't seal the yote though. Can already see a color difference.

#6 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:49 PM

What are you whitening with? Degreasing is key. If you don't degrease, your whitening method is irrelevant. Grease will leech out of the skull within weeks to months if it's still in there. Hold that coyote up to the light and you'll likely see dark areas in the areas I mentioned, that's alllll grease. 3 weeks is not very long, for almost anything really. Unfortunately, using the right chemicals to break up the grease coupled with the right temps, and time is the name of the game. Looking good for a first attempt though!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#7 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:57 PM

How long till the grease comes through? Finished these a few months ago. I sealed the bobcat and it still looks the same. I didn't seal the yote though. Can already see a color difference.

Depends on the animal. That bobcat only looks like it has light grease in that area I mentioned. It's looking slightly yellow, which could also be true if you used an acetone or alcohol based sealer. It's also totally possible that I just think I'm seeing it, (I'm looking on my iphone currently). Depending on the type of sealer you used, I'd remove it with acetone and throw it back in the degreaser for a week and then rewhiten, see where you end up. The reason I asked about your whitener is because you may just need a stronger one.That yote looks to have heavy grease in those areas, see my post above...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#8 So. Cal Stag

So. Cal Stag

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:44 PM

What are you whitening with?

right now using 40 volume clear. Thinking about trying B.O. I've been using dawn and ammonia mostly. Just started adding a little 3% peroxide to help break down the grease. Worked real good on the deer.

#9 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:14 AM

You're doing the right stuff. PM me if you have any more questions. Can't give away all the secrets.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#10 So. Cal Stag

So. Cal Stag

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:27 AM

Thanks. I'm sure I will have more questions.

#11 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:08 PM

So. Cal Stag, those skulls look good.Man, my beetles end up everywhere. You purchased them from me off my site...thanks for the plug. In the last few years I've been doing more and more business world wide. I was approved by USDA Aphis to ship internationally in 2009. So far I've shipped to Dubi, South Africa, Ireland, Great Britain, Australia and a few others. Glad to see they are working hard for you.

#12 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,653 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:01 AM

Looks good . That jackrabbit is realy cool looking.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#13 So. Cal Stag

So. Cal Stag

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:37 AM

Finished these two bobcats a few weeks ago.Posted Image

#14 So. Cal Stag

So. Cal Stag

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:33 PM

Finished my first pig. This was a fun one!Posted Image

#15 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,653 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:12 AM

Great job.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users