• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

Really thinking about adding one for my 1984 1894 Cowboy. Do they interfere with your thumb when down?

#2 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

Not sure I understand the question - you mean you want to use a barrel mounted sight at the same time the Marbles is installed? Which wouldn't work because it will be in the way of the Marbles when in use. Otherwise why would it be down when you are shooting. The Marbles will be folded back when stored, so yes, it will interfere with your thumb over the stock.

#3 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

ah - was more thinking of it being a long range precision sight in addition to keeping the buckhorn rear for close quick stuff.

so if you can't do that, why not just put on a receiver peep?

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

so if you can't do that, why not just put on a receiver peep?

Best money I ever spent (have them on four rifles), and absolutely the best customer service of any company I have ever dealt with:

Skinner Sights

#5 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

I've seen the Cowboy Action guys use those Skinner sights, and they seem to work really well, but over on the silhouette range we never see them because of the difficulty in making sight adjustments for our varying target ranges. I think if you want to cover all ranges accurately you should stay with a Williams receiver sight with an extended target knob for easy sight adjustments. The tang sight will also cover all distances by itself, but it takes time to count turns to get to the right sight setting (I have one on my Rossi 92). The Williams (or a Lyman) just requires a quick look at the side plate markings to see where the sight is set at. They all will work on their own, so no need for two different sights - you just have to figure out what will work best for you...

#6 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

You are absolutely correct on the adjustment part. But if you don't constantly need to adjust them (like for hunting) that are rock solid as it gets since everything is made out of one piece bar stock steel and not alu-minimun like a lot of the Williams and others.They have been working on an adjustable ladder sight for years at Skinner also, but I have yet to see it.

#7 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

My friend is putting the skinner sights on his 336, maybe I will try that for a bit and see how I like.

Was kinda hoping for the iron sights (still love buckhorns for fast vlose shooting - probably as itis what I learn with!) but with .45 Colt, you are closer to artillery trajectories out at 100yards. Did it 6-7 months ago and it was fun, but was aiming 2-3 feet over the top of teh target to get it in the black! Was trying to find something I could just pop up for the occasional shooting out at that range as it is far and few between. Will have to try it one of these days with Corbon hunting loads and see how it works.

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

If you go with the Lo-pro sights from Skinner, they are very easy to adjust. Worst case scenario is you would have to shorten your front sight so you can lower the rear completely and give you more adjustment for elevation.

#9 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

Actually, as the Cowboy Action guys (and many others) have discovered, is that ghost ring / peep sights like the skinner are much faster at getting on target accurately than buckhorn type sights. Something about the human brain being really good at subconsciously aligning a peep or ring... Keep both eyes open when you shoot, and I think you'll like it on your rifle.

#10 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

Tang sights are great on lever guns! But to put one on your marlin, it covers the serial number and drilling the second hole would be through the serial#. Marbles makes an adapter that puts two hold down screws very close together, and holds the sight over the serial #. Kind of like a cantilever scope mount.  That's why I haven't put one on my Marlin. I have put them on a Win 3030 and a Stevens Favorite. I use the Tuarus tang sight that they make for their 22 pump guns. They are steel, have elevation and windage adjustments and are only $33.

Picture031.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture025.jpg

On this gun I needed to have a scope and open sights to compete. So I made a Scope mount and used the tang sight. DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users