23 replies to this topic

#1 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 06:01 PM

I just ordered the Sierra 5th Edition reload manual from Whole Sale Hunter and should have it by the 3rd. I have bumming load info on Sierra bullets for too long now. So once I have it if anyone needs any Sierra load info just look me up.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 December 2005 - 09:44 PM

That will save me from having to look them up then. :)

#3 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:06 AM

Sierra had a recall on some of the data. When I purchased mine. The loads for a 300RUM were way too hot.I recieved serious pressure signs well befor published max load.They have since rectified the problem. However some of those loads were awesome. :(

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:18 AM

I never trust any load data no matter where I've gotten it from. I always work up to or near maximum loads very slowly checking every case along the way. This also applies to under charging loads too as this can cause dangerous ignitions and the resulting explosions can completely destroy a gun. I've seen way to many people load max loads as a starting load because they're lacking grey matter upstairs. Nothing is more surprising that a ruptured case or primer, even if you are only next to the idiot who loaded it. Reloading isn't for everyone. It is really something people need to be extremely careful with at all times. It's a rewarding hobby if given the respect it deserves. Be safe out there at all times please. Your life and safety as well as others may depend on it.

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:41 AM

Sierra had a recall on some of the data. When I purchased mine. The loads for a 300RUM were way too hot.I recieved serious pressure signs well befor published max load.They have since rectified the problem. However some of those loads were awesome. :(

Any idea how to tell if mine is a recalled version or the replacement?

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:47 AM

Any idea how to tell if mine is a recalled version or the replacement?

I'd check their website and see what it says or call them. :(

#7 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:48 AM

Let me know if the 204 is in that book. Steve

Thanks. And will do. It ships out today so I hope to have it by Saturday.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 10:29 AM

Heath,I would think it should show some kind of an amendment on the title page up front or maybe at the round in question it self. Let me know if the 204 is in that book. Steve

Well, I didn't see anything listed on the website about recalls but I'd contact them to be sure.They also don't have any loads listed for the .204 though they produce .20 caliber bullets for it. :( Here's a link to the cartridges listed to reload.http://www.sierrabul...ding&page=rifle

#9 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 10:35 AM

I just sent them a message asking when the 204 load data would be made available.

#10 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:35 AM

Here is the Sierra 204 load data ....http://www.sierrabul...ge/204Ruger.pdf

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:39 AM

Here is the Sierra 204 load data ....

So why isn't that listed in the manuel? That's pretty stupid. ;) If that's what I wanted why would I buy their Reloading manual? :)

#12 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:47 AM

I am guessing the 5th edition was all ready at the press getting printed. Instead of paying more $ to change 5th edition they elected to just provide the 204 data through the website for free. Just speculation of course.

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:56 AM

You're right Heath I'm sure that's why it is that way. Thanks i printed it off so I'll have it to try. That is if i ever screw that new barrel on my Savage. :)

#14 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:57 AM

Here is the Sierra 204 load data ....http://www.sierrabul...ge/204Ruger.pdf

Call them up(Sierra) I think the recall was regarding my 300 RUM only.They provided a print out of new loads. When you get your book,you could PM me and send me a load and I'll look it up in mine and compare. One of the loads in question was 150gr bullet with 107grs of H1000. I had pressure signs at 103gr with that powder.......

#15 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 12:58 PM

Call them up(Sierra) I think the recall was regarding my 300 RUM only.They provided a print out of new loads. When you get your book,you could PM me and send me a load and I'll look it up in mine and compare. One of the loads in question was 150gr bullet with 107grs of H1000. I had pressure signs at 103gr with that powder.......

I just asked and here is what I got back....Yes, way back we had a mis-print in it for the 300 RUM. They were chased down and corrected and the correct data was sent out to replace the bad data. We changed all the ones in house and had the correct data inserted on the runs from then on out. We caught it pretty fast.....just not fast enough.Matt

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 01:59 PM

There you go they're on it! :)

#17 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 03:37 PM

I was real careful with that cartridge. Felt like I had a stick of Dynamite a few inchs from my sniffer. Plus I had that rifle when a Brand New Sako on third fireing of factory ammo blew up the rifle.Later found out it was a metalurgical problem. My point is the aweful aweful can happen. On another forum some idiot loaded a 338 bullet into a 300RUM and some how he managed to chamber it.It blew and the shooter next to the idiot was knocked out with a piece of the rifle lodged in him.10,000 shooters from all over chimed in to express thier opinion on how it could've happened. The idiot himself said he doesn't know how it happened.

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 05:45 PM

What does the weather have to do with it! :)

I'm slow, DUH! I'm thinking meteorological, WHAT does weather have to do with this. You got me Steve. ;)

#19 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:04 AM

We had a guy, in Concord, that scattered three guns with overloads. I remember a Colt 45 and an HK 308 don't remember the third gun. No one ever got hurt. This was several years ago but, it did make you wonder what he was doing. He did seem to always have empty benches next to him when he came to the range. :( A17Shooter

#20 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:13 AM

He did seem to always have empty benches next to him when he came to the range. :( A17Shooter

I will just bet that he did! I am surprised they let him come back at all.

#21 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:59 AM

I'm slow, DUH! I'm thinking meteorological, WHAT does weather have to do with this. You got me Steve. :(

Metalurgical that's a close enough spelling.I can't at this moment locat my spelling dictionary,you know what I ment "Study of Metals" Did you men know that the Stainless Steel in our firearms BBLs isn't true stainless steel? If it was you couldn't machine it . Any one ever pound stainless steel anchore bolts into wall? If you wrench on the nut to much it will freez up.True Stainless will rapidly heat up lose shape and "Gall up" on you.Why am I telling you this? Got rained out from work today so I'm board. Think I'll go roll some bullets B)

#22 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 02:54 PM

metallurgical - you were only off by one L larry. I know know some about stainless it just depends on the use it was intended for. Here's a small sample of the differences in stainless.Types of stainless steelThere are different types of stainless steels: when nickel, for instance is added the austenite structure of iron is stabilized. This crystal structure makes such steels non-magnetic and less brittle at low temperatures. For higher hardness and strength, carbon is added. When subjected to adequate heat treatment these steels are used as razor blades, cutlery, tools etc.Significant quantities of manganese have been used in many stainless steel compositions. Manganese preserves an austenitic structure in the steel as does nickel, but at a lower cost.Stainless steels are also classified by their crystalline structure:Austenitic stainless steels comprise over 70% of total stainless steel production. They contain a maximum of 0.15% carbon, a minimum of 16% chromium and sufficient nickel and/or manganese to retain an austenitic structure at all temperatures from the cryogenic region to the melting point of the alloy. A typical composition is 18% chromium and 10% nickel, commonly known as 18/10 stainless is often used in flatware. Similarly 18/0 and 18/8 is also available. ?Superaustenitic? stainless steels, such as alloy AL-6XN, exhibit great resistance to chloride pitting, crevice corrosion and stress-corrosion cracking over the 300 series. Ferritic stainless steels are highly corrosion resistant, but far less durable than austenitic grades and cannot be hardened by heat treatment. They contain between 10.5% and 27% chromium and very little nickel, if any. Most recipes include molybdenum; some, aluminium or titanium. Common ferritic grades include 18Cr-2Mo, 26Cr-1Mo, 29Cr-4Mo, and 29Cr-4Mo-2Ni. Martensitic stainless steels are not as corrosion resistant as the other two classes, but are extremely strong and tough as well as highly machineable, and can be hardened by heat treatment. Martensitic stainless steel contains chromium (12-14%), molybdenum (0.2-1%), no nickel, and about 0.1-1% carbon (giving it more hardness but making the material a bit more brittle). It is quenched and magnetic. It is also know as "series-00" steel. Duplex stainless steels have a mixed microstructure of austenite and ferrite, the aim being to produce a 50:50 mix although in commercial alloys the mix may be 60:40. Duplex steel have improved strength over austenitic stainless steels and also improved resistance to localised corrosion particularly pitting, crevice corrosion and stress corrosion cracking. They are characterised high chromium and lower nickel contents than austenitic stainless steels. The AISI defines the following grades among others:200 Series?austenitic iron-chromium-nickel-manganese alloys 300 Series?austenitic iron-chromium-nickel alloys Type 301?highly ductile, for formed products. Also hardens rapidly during mechanical working. Type 303?Free machining version of 304 via addition of sulfur Type 304?the most common; the classic 18/8 stainless steel. Type 316?for food and surgical stainless steel uses; Alloy addition of molybdenum to prevent specific forms of corrosion. SS316 is oftein used for building nuclear reprocessing plants. 400 Series?ferritic and martensitic alloys Type 408?heat-resistant; poor corrosion resistance; 11% chromium, 8% nickel. Type 409?cheapest type; used for automobile exhausts; ferritic (iron/chromium only). Type 410?martensitic (high-strength iron/chromium). Type 420?"Cutlery Grade" martensitic; similar to the Brearley's original "rustless steel". Also known as "surgical steel". Type 430?decorative, e.g. for automotive trim; ferritic. Type 440?a higher grade of cutlery steel, with more carbon in it, which allows for much better edge retention when the steel is heat treated properly. 600 Series?martensitic precipitation hardening alloys Type 630?most common PH stainless, better known as 17-4; 17% chromium, 4% nickel

#23 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 03:21 PM

A shooter on Bench Rest central (Have you ever checked them out? Lots of good info to be recieved) said our SS BBLs are made out of grades 410.416,416r or 17-4ph. So I guess this is Cuttlery grade stuff. My main varmiter has a Hart BBL I outta call them up and ask what type.Thanks John for your time&effort have a great Day.

#24 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 08:40 AM

It still isn't here! So much for getting to use it while on my Christmas break!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users